Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuel injection service is important!

Unnecessary failures

Rebuilding 3,yes,3 225 promax powerheads last month,and I believe another on the way...2 due to compromised fuel systems,and one oil mixer failure.The oil failure burned a rod bearing,but the other 2 died from detonation,and this could have been prevented by proper maintainance.<br>Making this post to let folks know we now,after a year of in shop work,can offer complete fuel injection service including injector cleaning,flow and pattern testing,and matching to the proper cylinders.This addition to our abilities was to first streamline and improve our production,and with the exception of ficht and etec injectors(working on those),we can complete all aspects of premium quality remanufacturing of 2 stroke outboards under one roof.We have now decided to offer our fuel system service to the public,so,if you have concerns,give a call.<br>In the meantime,seeing as how detonation plays a very big role in destroying motors,especially in the spring when old fuel kills em...I thought i would re-post ...
    Detonation and preignitioned defined

I see folks refer to detonation and preignition often,and even now and then someone suggests predetonation as the reason for certain engine failures.btw,predetonation isn't a condition that has taken place...sort of like a preheated oven,it's either heated or it's not,you've either suffered detonation or you havent.
    We will start with the simple one and get it out of the way,preignition.This is also slightly misnamed,it would be more correct to be named pre-planned-ignition.Preingition refers to the ignition of the compressed fuel/air in the cylinder before the spark takes place that was meant to begin the combustion process.This is usually caused by a glowing piece of carbon or spark plug tip,and can be brought on by overheat,wrong plugs,or excessive carbon buildup.In certain rare cases it can also be caused by the hot exhaust from a nearby cylinder igniting the fuel/air mix as the ports are closing on the subject cylinder,this is usually encountered on highly modified high rpm motors.enough of preignition,and onto the common real problem,detonation.
    Detonation,by definition,is simply a condition in which the piston is forced to compress an already expanding (burning)fuel/air charge in the cylinder,resulting in higher temperatures/pressures than normal,and the resulting shock and damage is termed "detonation damage".This damage can be insidious and slow,in mild detonation cases,or immediate and extensive in heavy detonation cases.
    Detonation damage is usually most apparent in severe cases as melted and seized pistons,in mild or low-level cases the constant bouncing of needle bearings can cause chatter marks(the chipping away of surface metal) on the crankshaft journals,as well as the wrist pins and rod bearing surfaces.Piston ring land breakage is another common result of low-level detonation.While most folks understand the severe cases,the low-level damage is often attributed ot other causes.So...
    To understand detonation,we have to examine its causes,and there are plenty of them.A motor is designed and tuned to capture the force created by burning fuel/air and put it to work,turning a propeller through a series of rods,cranks,shafts and gears.In order to maximize the useful available power,we must light the fire at precisely the right to get a full burn without developing excessively high pressures.Many factors come into play,but the main ones are compression,fuel octane,timing advance,engine temperature,and operating rpm.Realize this...probably the most important things for the boat owner to understand,is the fuel/air burns at a constant speed although the motor changes speed.Because of this we have systems to advance spark timing to assure that at high rpms the engine won't outrun the burn time of the fuel/air mix.The other factors that play heavily in this equation are fuel octane and engine rpm.Rpm is simply the speed of rotation...revolutions per minute,and octane is a relative speed of burn,the higher the octane the slower and more consistent the burn,or"push".
    Realize that lowering engine rpm effectively increases spark timing,as it causes the piston to get to top dead center later,allowing time for the combustion pressure to grow,setting the scene for detonation damage.
    This trouble can be avoided by using fresh fuel of adequate octane,maintaining a clean fuel system,doing proper routine maintainence,and propping to achieve full recommended rpm.Low level detonation is a lot like high blood pressure,over time it breaks things down.
    Hope this helps,Chris

2. Thanks Merc 2.5, 1954bmw, Steve G, powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes Merc 2.5, Ace, tux974, Baja170, Greg G, Hydrodreams liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info Chris. I had Chris do two sets of opti injectors. One for a 2.5 and the other a 3.0. As you would expect from CCM the turn around was quick and they were professionally done. Came back in individually sealed packages and of course looked like new. He did both the air and fuel on both motors and they run again. I would never hesitate to do business with this guy as everything he has done for me has met all expectations. We are fortunate to have a company like this amongst us. Good job my friend.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the short story.... if not......BOOM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Chris for being able to provide fuel injection services to your customers. It was a pleasure meeting you and your son at last weekends Parker Enduro
    Last edited by Baker343; 11-02-2019 at 04:52 PM.

6. Likes Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Chris, very cool and very important info!!!......

8. Likes Baja170 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son has a 2001 Mercury 200efi on the back of his bassn boat, what does this engine have for injectors and what is the recommended choice for maintenance, I'm an old inline 6 guy, don't know squat about these newer engines???? Thanks for your replys.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great Info Chris

I have 2 optis I will need to have done. A 150 and a 200. I will be giving you a call soon.

Brandon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1954bmw View Post
    My son has a 2001 Mercury 200efi on the back of his bassn boat, what does this engine have for injectors and what is the recommended choice for maintenance, I'm an old inline 6 guy, don't know squat about these newer engines???? Thanks for your replys.
    Your Son's motor has Deca injectors,Opinions vary how often they should be cleaned,With pure gasoline they should be good for several years,especially if you add a little Stabile regularly.Ethanol fuel and seasonal use requires cleaning nore often,and again,Stabile ethanol treatment is advised.
    Also,very important,the reeds in his motor are one of the breakinest in the industry,really should replace them with composite.Everything you'll need to r&r the reeds,and service injectors will cost around 330$ plus shipping,Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    Great Info Chris

I have 2 optis I will need to have done. A 150 and a 200. I will be giving you a call soon.

Brandon
    Brandon,glad to help anytime your ready...If you haven't gotten the steel reeds replaced yet you should.Our glass reeds run better and cost a whole lot less than a rebuild due to injesting a broken steel leaf,Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarsonMarine View Post
    Brandon,glad to help anytime your ready...If you haven't gotten the steel reeds replaced yet you should.Our glass reeds run better and cost a whole lot less than a rebuild due to injesting a broken steel leaf,Chris
    I've installed many sets of your reeds in my different motors through the years. That is my plan for these optis as well

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 3.2L 300xs 2008 model Opti. Do you know of a good how-to removal thread for the injectors and what does the service cost once I get them to you? Thanks
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would be much quicker and easier for you to give a call and i will be happy to walk you through the process.
    stan,
    305 896 1007

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info!

www.InjectorService.com