Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    John Marles will take care of your problem. He's done couple dozen for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finaly the wheter cleared up here in Denmark, so much to get out on the water so my merc with new Pistons could start break-in. Clearly a happyer motor after install off the new top pinned pistons that i purchased thorugh JSRE. Break-in now half way through the second hour. So next time after 30 minutes I would try to rew it up to max in 2 min. intervals with a break some where below WOT. Seams to be more easiy to start and has a more crispy exhaust sound.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A164 View Post
    I desided to go for new pistons and got a nice set of top pinned pistons through JSRE. And they are now assembled in my block. Prewiosly I had a compression between 131 - 135 psi, now I got between 145 -152 psi. I also went for the thinner head gasket (0,75mm). I only been running the engine in my small water tank, just to adjust idle timing end so.
    I am looking forward to get out on the water, to see if there will be some improvements in power. I know I have to make a brake in time, so after that its WOT time,,,,,.
    After 1,5 hour of brake-in i desided to check compression. And found that it now is between 152-156psi. I am currently running with Shell V-power 100 gas with 3% oil. And after reading several posts here and info from http://www.biggerhammer.net/mercury/ I am thinking that I am better off putting the thicker head gaskets (1,2mm) in, and going down to octane 95. Would this make sence?
    It seams that the available fuel changes here in Europe, so that octane numbers is raising, now 95 seams to be the lowest octane number available. (Correction to this post!!!!) I WILL STICK with the V-power 100. as there are a different between US and EU octan rating so therefore my 100 (RON) octane fuel suits the recomendation given in service manual fine, which says min 98(RON).

Also found info in this post,,,:
    https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...ht=compression

So I am trying to share my results and with my piston change from original Mahle to the Wisco performance pistons that I bought through JSRE. I am wery happy with the new pistons and the results so far, but still my consern is that I am running a bit too high in compression. Anny comments or other experience from other Merc260 owners?
    Last edited by A164; 04-25-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't forget your max timing (indexed flywheel) also comes ita play........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok tlwjkw, I will not forget timing,,,. Any data you want to share?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lite boates, 2 ta 1's, short props.. 150/160lbs. plus or minus a couple.. 23* indexed flywheels ran 92/93, 32:1 klotz ona a lotta different motors (2.0, 2,4, 2,5's, carb, efi's upta 9 grand) over tha years.. but everybody has there own plan... sooooooooooooo

oh yeah... never tourched any of 'em.
    Last edited by tlwjkw; 04-21-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know when you set the timing to 25° BTDC at WOT by cranking the engine, is not the same as setting it running the engine. I tried previously to set min during running it throttling it until timing arm was against the stop and set it to 25° BTDC. Then tested this by cranking it and found it close to 27° BTDC.
    That tell me that if you set to 25° BTDC at WOT by cranking it properly would be closer to 23° when running it. So how do you set your timing by cranknig or running?

Still primary pick-up is some thing that remains kinda aprox not defined by anny angle. But there must be some setting for primary pick-up that works best?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have set mine cranking and runnin. Mines a carb motor. So I unhook throttle linkage and it will rev up to 2k rpm. Maybe little over. But both ways has worked good for me. , there is not good number to tell u on pickup it's where u and the motor is happiest. Cant let the # distract you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok did not want to push fait too much so put in 1,2mm head gaskets. And now I am around the safer zone 142-146psi was my compression test. Which actually still is a bit higher than the old pistons which was 131-135psi. I will also switch to 95octan gas, which is the lowest octan gas available here in Denmark. And maintain the 25° BTDC ignition point at WOT while cranking, which means that I will have 23-24° at running, I guess,,,.
    Merc 2.5 I remember my old 115hp inline tower of power was sensitive to have the reight timing of primary pick up. The 2.5 EFI HP seams not to bather so much. Difficult to tell the difference,,, well I have not been expermented so much with this. I seams to have more problems getting it to idle propperly in gear, it rumbles in the hole boat and have to turn it of or put it into neutral when going in and out of the harbor. Other vice I am sailing too fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s in the switch box. They run closer to the trigger magnet and vs, the distributor versions. Some when the bias gets week will advance on their own.

just be glad you didn’t ask about bottom pinned.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4