Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

'70 SS 396 motor on a '69 4 speed Vette frame w/ extras

I have a rolling '69 convertible Corvette chassis in my garage that I am storing for a buddy and have been authorized to sell. This stuff all ran when he pulled it apart to convert to a resto-mod with an Art Morrison chassis and blown LS3. Some of the items include:

-Boyd Coddington chrome wheels/tires
    -Upgraded suspention
    -Upgraded half shaft axles and I believe a 3.73:1 rear end ratio (Don't quote me on the ratio, but can find out)
    -Bad ass Willwood brakes
    -396 Big block

There is no 4 speed gearbox included but I know a guy that has several Muncie/Super T-10 transmissions that are ready for rebuild or in great working order. Some details on this motor are that the block, crank, rods, and heads (same as the LS-6 454) are original. I can provide the date coding for the block and heads. Motor was rebuilt around 2500 miles ago and is a .040 over motor. The downside is the cam, carb, intake, and distributor are not original as it would be an even more EPIC motor if they were. On the other hand, the motor does run EXCELLENT and still has some special pieces on it. Again, don't quote me but I believe the date code on the heads are late '69 and block early '70. I can provide the exact numbers if needed and also can provide pics. I can understand some frustration when people sell stuff on this site and can't take the time to include even one pic of it with the post so I will get a couple up here asap, I'm just swamped at the moment and suck @ uploading. Please no tire kickers as I don't have the time.

Would like to get around $10k for the whole rolling chassis and shipping does not scare me a bit. It may take some time to iron out all the details but I can handle it. The whole setup is also available to be split up as well, just need to sell all the major components before I pull the brakes off, or the rear end, ect. Feel free to ask questions and if you are seriously interested I will provide whatever I need to in order to make this sale completely legit! I know what it is like wondering after sending money across the country and/or world and hoping the chit I bought shows up! That won't be a worry here.

Thanks, Schramer
    I have a boat or two.... that I never get to drive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I.....want....this....so....bad..........but.....cant....afford....it....right.....now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the stamping info on the pad in front of the pass side cyl. head?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Block casting #- 3969854

Date codes- T0225CK0, 10W279075 The 5 "could" be a 6 but I looked these up with a Chevy guru and I think we used a 5 and it checked out.

Head casting #'s- 3964291 Both have the same casting # and both say GM5T & HI-PERF cast into them

Head date codes- L6 9 & A20 70

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaster5.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	484.1 KB 
ID:	451860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaster4.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	444.0 KB 
ID:	451861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaster3.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	451862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaster.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	451864

Pictures aren't great but they at least I figured out how to get them up here......I don't even care that they are crooked I would be glad to take more detailed pics, when necessary but hope these help a little bit in the mean time.

Schramer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jaster2.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have receipts for anyone that wants some proof or details of the engine rebuild.....will post some more info this week. I could do a compression or leak down test if it would help as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    A coupla' details that you might find helpful. The engine was originally a 402 rated at 375 Horsepower, which Chevy described as SHP (special high performance) It was still called a 396 in 1970 and even said so on the emblems on the cars they were installed in, but Chevy increased the 396's bore by I THINK .030 to make it the 402. The heads are the rectangle port closed chamber design that were basically similar to what was used on all the high horse Chevy big blocks from '65 forward that didn't get the L89 alum. head option UNTIL they changed to the open chamber design in '71. It's true that the heads are the same configuration as were used on the LS6, however the casting numbers are different. These engines as 375 horse had 4 bolt mains. ALL 396/402/427 Chevies shared the same stroke and ALL had forged steel cranks rather than the cast iron ones that SOME 454's had beginning in 1970. The max value in it is probably somebody who wants to build or restore a 1970 375 Horse Camaro, Chevelle or Nova. With the heads and block having dates that indicates they were probably married from the beginning it's a great starting point for a 375 horse project.

As for the chassis, there is no difference between the convertible and coupe chassis in 1969 (or the other similar years in the series). That means that somebody restoring either one that has a rusty or damaged chassis could use it without modification. The automatic transmission cars did have a different chassis because the transmission crossmember in those was removable, where it's welded in solid on the manual transmission ones like the one pictured here. Since the chassis would be a direct bolt in for '68 through '72 cars with no mods required for bumper brackets even I would think there'd be a good market for it for someone with a rusted or busted one.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very well said Raceman! I know I didn't include a bunch of these facts in the sale post but you took it to another level LOL! I learned that the castings were getting worn out and that they couldn't get it to 396 so it ended up being a 402 instead and never badged any differently as to keep to the original & well loved nomenclature. Don't quote me but this motor is supposedly stamped showing it came out of a Nova, which would make it even more rare. I had a buddy help me code this out and we are, by no means, experts on Chevy's so we could be wrong on that detail. Either way the chassis, extras, and motor need a new home so buy it and build a bad ass project

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just to let you guys know.....the receipts show a bunch of work done like install cam bearings, machine crank, line bore, deck heads.....ect. They also list parts like set of forged pistons, set of bearings......ect. The prices & part #'s are there and a ton of info is on them (regaurding the motor only) but the issue is they are vague and some of the details that one might want to know, say the exact cyl bore size as opposed to .040 over are not in the receipts but they are legit and will hopefully help answer "some" questions ya'll might have. I'm just brutally honest and being up front since I was a bit disappointed myself. Remember that the receipts came from my buddy not me . The work was done in 2002 and I can provide copies if desired.

Also confirmed there is 2500 miles MAX on this motor.
    Last edited by Schramer; 12-03-2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: I suffer from CRS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just to let you guys know.....the receipts show a bunch of work done like install cam bearings, machine crank, line bore, deck heads.....ect. They also list parts like set of forged pistons, set of bearings......ect. The prices & part #'s are there and a ton of info is on them (regaurding the motor only) but the issue is they are vague and some of the details that one might want to know, say the exact cyl bore size as opposed to .040 over are not in the receipts but they are legit and will hopefully help answer "some" questions ya'll might have. I'm just brutally honest and being up front since I was a bit disappointed myself. Remember that the receipts came from my buddy not me . The work was done in 2002 and I can provide copies if desired.