Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member!!

Hey guys new to the forum and was looking for some info on new mercury engines. This place seems like the place to be, for going fast on water using outboards lol. My current boat is nothing like the normal boats here (24 foot tri-toon with 200hp Merc.). The boat and engine are brand new this year (2019’s). The engine is a 200L (V6 and NOT the new V8). I am used to racing cars (drag racing) and used to the electronic fuel injection of a cars engine and used to the capabilities of tuning the ECM for more power. I am wondering if anyone here knows of a place I can do the same for my new Merc. 200? The big thing I am wondering, is there a company that has the capability of tuning it just like a car ECM? I mean I can plug in a hand held tuner, download the new tune to the ECM and make more power. Then I would also like to be able to take the same hand held tuner and go back to factory stock tune if I wanted? Thanks for any info guys. Looking forward to learning

Ryan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    welcome aboard,lots of info here.....
    TRANSPORT SERVICE...UP TO 36 FEET....YOUR TRAILER OR MINE... FULLY INSURED...............
    DOT & CDL COMPLIANT $500,000.00 CARGO & 1 MILLION LIABILITY.

LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE, LESS CROWED BETTER VIEW
    ...............2022 3500 HD SILVERADO DUALLY 6.6 TURBO. 8 FT BED...LETS PULL IT.................

http://www.frankmoletransport.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site. There are a few go fast toon guys on here. Unfortunately with a new rig like yours, the best bang for the buck power wise is to buy the power you want/need up front! The most gains you will likely see will be from setup changes.

There are probably some tuning options out there, maybe Simon...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcoming guys. Nitro_rat: yeah I wanted to get the 250hp Merc in the V8, but my wallet said no plus if I went that route, I would still not have a boat to use since the engine was on back order until about now (that’s what the dealer told me). So I went with the 200. As for fast toon guys, I have the fastest toon in the US on the lake we go to. He runs older Merc’s on his rig. As for trying Simon, is it Simon Performance? I’ll try to google them too. Thanks again guys!!

Ryan

5. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard. Could set up your own controller and add some boost, maybe mega squirt will work? That'll solve your power issues but with above? Set up is well worth focusing on before chasing power thats solid advice. Prop/engine height make a huge difference
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake fever: thanks for the welcoming. I going to try out a different prop on the boat for sure. Right now it is a Mercury inertia 15.6” prop with 13 pitch. I am going to try a 14 and possibly a 15 (most likely start with the 14 and see what happens). Also the dealer setup my engine on the lowest hole in the mounting. I have had a couple times where the prop “blew out” when trimmed down all the way. So I may not be able to raise the engine? I’m getting ready to winterize it so I will get a 14P prop over winter and swap it out. My inner drag racer was thinking that I might be able to treat the ECM like can be done on the cars. Thanks again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for a jack plate maybe? I havent run one of those new inertia props but if memory serves the rep at the boat show said they are a looser version of the Tempest to get out of the hole quicker but apparently are not quite as strong up top? Man if speed is what you want props are like crack, addictive as heck I keep on buying em I have a half dozen i havent even run yet LOL. Of course most of us here aint stretching out a toon on the water there are quite a few former racers here who bought toons so maybe others can chime in with whats best but for top speed? Chopper, cleaver, lightning ET are very popular. How they will run on a toon I cant say. That said if you buy used props, try them and keep them in the condition you buy them in they tend to hold their value so its not a big loss of $ just a lot of time testing buying/selling/trading to get that ONE you really like best
    Last edited by LakeFever; 10-10-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake Fever: yeah I may looking into a jack plate. The current prop does well getting out of the hole for sure, but seems very poor up top. It is a 3 blade design and I’m not sure if a 4 blade would be better? I am new to boats (only had them for 2 seasons) and my last boat was the second or third boat built after Noah’s Arc and only had a 70hp Merc. So speed was never an option until the new boat lol. The toon out on my lake currently holds a record of 114mph (I don’t have a wallet anywhere close to large enough to compete) but I would like to be able to stay closer to my friends in their glass boats (they top out at 45ish). My ultimate goal in the hand held tuner was thinking I could squeeze another 25-30 more HP out of it and then go back to stock ECM settings if there was an issue. Then get a new prop and make it so my friends never come around me LOL!!. Since it’s the end of our season, I think I will look into props and change that first. Thanks again for the replies.

Ryan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The saying goes it takes tenhp per mph so adding hp is not the end all be all compared to set up. What RPM and MPH are you doing now with the prop you have?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site. Where is Montgomery?

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake fever: I am usually running the boat with the family (me, wife and 2 small kids) plus our coolers for the day. I am running 36-37mph right now and usually 5800-5900 rpm. I have the mercury VesselView mobile so I can see exact live rpm and it has gps speed built in and I have gps speed app plus Garmin fish finder with gps speed. So I’m pretty confident on the speed and rpm. I called mercury and they said that’s it I’m done, but I know a couple guys with the same length boat with a 150hp running 40mph. My boat also doesn’t use wood decking it’s composite so my dry weight is only 2215lbs. My inner racer is crying lol. I would like to see 40+ on a more regular basis (I hit 41 by myself, no gear and 1/8 tank of fuel and it was only once).

rock: Montgomery is just south of Aurora (next town over) and just west of Oswego. Thanks for the welcoming!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calculator says thats 5% slip which aint bad really. That thing does have a 1.85:1 lower i believe. So if you want to crest 40? Your going to need a 14 pitch which assuming the same RPM and slip nets you 40mph spot on or a 15 pitch ( id surely try this myself first ) will bring you to 43mph with 5% slip and 5900RPM if your mota can push it that high. As for blowing out from too much trim? Whats too much? That can happen with just about any prop if you trim so high you get on the tilt cyl so thats a hard thing to guess.

See if you can find a prop shop or maybe where you bought the boat and find some props in that range to test. A lot of places will let you pay for one and try a few so long as you dont damage them without extra charge. If you go solo and super light it might be worth trying up to 17 or so pitch to see if you can spin it and gete your mph bragging rights LOL. Then go back to your 14/15.13 whatever ends up working best prop. If the mota is at 6k now, i'd leave it be or buy a bigger one. Probably could shave heads and retune but dont know who does that for the new stuff. Could always contact Brucato and see if they have any suggestions. Tony makes the ACU for the two strokes and has a tuning suite so hes in the know
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake: I have checked on the calculators as well. I am really leaning towards 14 or 15 pitch over winter. Do you know if a 3 blade or 4 blade would be better? If not, do you know what the difference performance wise between the 2? Thanks again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being an x drag racer myself, i feel your pain. i think your set up is pretty darn good, low slip and 40 mph. you might find yourself frustrated, trying to squeeze a few mph, and lighter in the wallet. i spent lots $$$$$ and 1/2 doz props and found myself close to square 1. it will take a lot to gain with your big rig. what did you race? i bracket raced division 5 fl. s/pro nova welcome

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it costs to get the last few drops of gains I think we all feel that reality around here. Might want to reach out to DAH propeller and see if they can help. They did a prop for a buddies boat that was only a 150 on a Valero that crested 80mph which blew my mind. Maybe they can customize a prop for ya to squeeze a few more out of it.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast