Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004 Opti 225 Forward Shift Issue

Greetings friends,

I replaced the lower unit on my 225 Opti and for some reason the lower unit will not fully ingage in forward when shifting. Shifting into reverse is no problem. When I shift into forward, the prop only spins slowly telling me the lower unit gears didn't fully engage.
    1. Should I leave the throttle in Neutral and also the Lower Unit also in neutral before I re-installed it. Just can't get the forward gear to fully engage.
    2. For more information, while I was trouble shooting for my previous problem with difficulty shifting into any gears, I loosened up the roller guide and shift linkage to see if this was causing the difficulty with shifting.
    3. Should I have done this? If no, How should I position my roller guide before I tighten it back down. The guide can still move when I shift via the throttle.

My difficulty with shifting was isolated to the old lower unit that had water intrusion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just changed throttle / shifter cables and was having the same issue, quick re-adjustment on the water fixed it. Motor / throttle should be in neutral as you put on the lower unit. That’s not the problem though, you have to adjust the shifter cable. Unhook cable from motor side (10mm), put shifter control on boat side in neutral, put sliding shifter bolt on motor side in neutral, see how cable end aligns with shifter bolt on motor side, should slide right in without the shifter bolt moving from the neutral position. If cable end is too far forward or to far back, adjust the roller guide till it’s right.

3. Thanks Dlloyd thanked for this post