Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are people talking about 2 strokes on a 4 stroke v8 thread? It makes no sense. Please let these threads live out with out turning it into a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke battle. What we need are all you smart guys working on making the v8 better! Right now im almost done with the waterjacket header to a 70mm turbo. After that will be adressing the sheet metal intake and fuel system. I hear the solid propshaft is around 1400 bux, any guess how much hp it can handle? My old turbo 4.6l ford made close to 600hp on 91 so detuned this ob should be safe at 500-525hp. yeah there are lots of things to work out but hell its brand new. It is so damn exciting to think that turbocharged alcohol injected v8's crackling through the local channel will be now be a reality.

2. Thanks engineermike thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was a thread discussing if new production engines are good for existing racing classes.
    If they do get used where is the evidence its successful for the class?
    Separate issue that Merc makes great production performance engines
    Last edited by powerabout; 10-18-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    With some slight modifications to this new V-8 platform it will do the same for my STV, Allison, LCB, 24, and 28 if I can ever afford to make any of it happen-at least the base is available "like all of the other personally experienced examples given-I am one step closer".

Please, please, please, do this! Take that overweight, top heavy, 20 inch motor, with its 6 inch wide gear case, and its 40 pitch props, and bolt it to your allison! Show all of us more mortals the sins of our simple lightweight 2 stroke ways.

Alas the prophet jperog has come to show us the the path to mercury 4joke salvation.
    Here is the some of the ignorance that I was referring to. If you read through the thread, the first article is about the new 12" mid section and the fact that the F1 motor is much lighter then the current 15" 300XS on my Allison. There will soon be 15" midsections available and you will be seeing these motors on everything that currently is capable of carrying a 3L. It won't affect you so there is no sense you commenting.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 4 stroke needs to sit on a 6" like a f1 v8 omc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    The "bad" I'm experiencing with my motor's .. ???

Instead of act like you know, you should ask me. I have nothing to hide.

The bad, was driver error. I thought I was a kid again, doing 90 MPH power wheelies on my 400 Maico .. and burping it to a wheelie stop just before the manatee zone signs. Yep, I filled one with water and it hydrauliced. So I'm out six sleeves, six pistons and a 225 EFI core. About $2500 total (retail). Now I could say **** the 20 or so work orders I have in the rack and work on my own stuff. Or I can be responsible and mess with the "next set" on the weekends if i still feel like working ...

Just so ya know, you were right that day at lunch a big bore 3.0L make's a ton of power. At 160 psi cranking I did need to carry a gallon of Klotz/Toluene mix if I planned to hit a gas station. I usually bring that much oil along, so what's another gallon.

Back to my point, which you have ducked, and avoided like a hooker with AIDS over many different threads, posts etc.
    Don't be naive and think that somewhere down the road, someone is not going to leave a drain plug loose. Someone is going to melt one down. When wty. tell's them to take a hike .. can they call you, to use your connections with the top tier players at Mercury to "get it handled" ...
    No .. bout the best they will do at the parts counter right now, is point the poor sap to the showroom where he can buy another new one ...
    Nothing about bad in what I said-- I also don't have the knowledge, time or resources for one off custom stuff along with the labor required to keep it running "as you are experiencing with your new motors".

Simple fact stated that I want turn key drive ability. The motors have a low oil pressure warning system, beyond that I would not expect someone leaving a drain plug loose and running it dry to be a warranty claim for any manufacture but if they are lucky it might be an insurance claim I guess. The couple of issues that I am aware of were shipped new power heads. I know the big bore X stuff with compression is very fast, I watched Kurt run his Mirage with race fuel several times but I also watched it get torn down for rebuilds several times as well-again, no time, not enough knowledge, or resources for me to deal with it. You just said the same thing "no extra time to deal with it=no boating until you have the time"--life is too short at this point in game, I want to be on the water with family and friends.

Enough about this debate, hope to see you at Suwanee we should cover 300 miles with a good group over a four day weekend.

Joe

7. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    opinions on F2 going custom production engine shoehorned into a class that will require new boats?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone on this thread racing F2 aka sst120?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, there wasn’t a 2005 Z06

A V8 Vega actually might be a good analogy with the issues of hanging the heavy 4-stroke on the back of a relatively small boat, I enjoyed mine though it didn’t handle worth a darn and am thankful I survived owning it at 16

I can understand some of the complaints, but it makes sense looking at things from the manufacturer’s perspective that they’re going to do whatever they believe is going to make them the most money. They may be wrong in the direction they’re going and if that’s the case I’m sure someone will be there to capitalize on the market they loose. In this day and age, things are getting copied faster and therefore design gets changed more often and the automotive industry is a perfect example. You can’t expect Ford to keep supporting the flathead V8, if they feel it’s not in their best interest. The world has become a throw a way society yet ironically driven by climate change, so an emissions legal not as easily rebuilt engine that provides instant gratification makes complete sense. Cars aren’t getting any lighter and boats are following suit as making the power to offset the weight gain has gotten so easy, which is ironic because more fossil fuel is needed to move more weight and counter intuitive to tree hugger logic. Look at the progression of trucks from the ‘90s, I’m pretty sure a mid-size truck today displaces more air than full-size back then and the smaller engine makes more power than the V8. The boating world is following suit, just look at how much bigger and heavier bass boats have gotten since the ‘80s. I applaud the guys going fast with less as you’re the real people concerned about the environment and future hotrodders. I used to work for a clutch manufacturer and still love/appreciate a man pedal though that isn’t the direction of the future unfortunately, long live the manual though. I’m not for performance traction management systems as they take the skill out of driving, some in the boating world might argue the thrill of driving a bigger more stable boat at the same speed as a smaller lighter one on the verge of being out of control isn’t the same thrill and I get that. A Tesla doesn’t do anything for me even if it’s fast, guess that makes me old school and part of the minority. Though a Hellcat is impressive in a straightline, I’m not interested in tracking a boat that a Miata can keep up with on a road course.

In all seriousness, would 2-strokes have been put into production vehicles if there wasn’t an EPA? Other countries don’t have the same regulations, but I don’t hear about their usage elsewhere. My only experience with 2-strokes is with karts as I never really got into 2-wheels even though I have motorcycle license so excuse my ignorance.

An off topic question as I don’t follow Formula E, is it more popular than Formula 1 with millennials? I personally don’t think NASCAR is going to grow it’s fan base when it goes hybrid, though maybe I’m wrong...
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...uld-go-hybrid/
    Last edited by PRE-Z06; 10-24-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE-Z06 View Post
    For the record, there wasn’t a 2005 Z06

A V8 Vega actually might be a good analogy with the issues of hanging the heavy 4-stroke on the back of a relatively small boat, I enjoyed mine though it didn’t handle worth a darn and am thankful I survived owning it at 16

I can understand some of the complaints, but it makes sense looking at things from the manufacturer’s perspective that they’re going to do whatever they believe is going to make them the most money. They may be wrong in the direction they’re going and if that’s the case I’m sure someone will be there to capitalize on the market they loose. In this day and age, things are getting copied faster and therefore design gets changed more often and the automotive industry is a perfect example. You can’t expect Ford to keep supporting the flathead V8, if they feel it’s not in their best interest. The world has become a throw a way society yet ironically driven by climate change, so an emissions legal not as easily rebuilt engine that provides instant gratification makes complete sense. Cars aren’t getting any lighter and boats are following suit as making the power to offset the weight gain has gotten so easy, which is ironic because more fossil fuel is needed to move more weight and counter intuitive to tree hugger logic. Look at the progression of trucks from the ‘90s, I’m pretty sure a mid-size truck today displaces more air than full-size back then and the smaller engine makes more power than the V8. The boating world is following suit, just look at how much bigger and heavier bass boats have gotten since the ‘80s. I applaud the guys going fast with less as you’re the real people concerned about the environment and future hotrodders. I used to work for a clutch manufacturer and still love/appreciate a man pedal though that isn’t the direction of the future unfortunately, long live the manual though. I’m not for performance traction management systems as they take the skill out of driving, some in the boating world might argue the thrill of driving a bigger more stable boat at the same speed as a smaller lighter one on the verge of being out of control isn’t the same thrill and I get that. A Tesla doesn’t do anything for me even if it’s fast, guess that makes me old school and part of the minority. Though a Hellcat is impressive in a straightline, I’m not interested in tracking a boat that a Miata can keep up with on a road course.

In all seriousness, would 2-strokes have been put into production vehicles if there wasn’t an EPA? Other countries don’t have the same regulations, but I don’t hear about their usage elsewhere. My only experience with 2-strokes is with karts as I never really got into 2-wheels even though I have motorcycle license so excuse my ignorance.

An off topic question as I don’t follow Formula E, is it more popular than Formula 1 with millennials? I personally don’t think NASCAR is going to grow it’s fan base when it goes hybrid, though maybe I’m wrong...
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...uld-go-hybrid/
    Saab had 2 stroke cars as did east germany with Trabant
    The orbital air blown injection that orbital in oz invented was originally targetted at a 3 cyl production car.
    Ford built a dozen way back and they did everything better than the then 4 slug.
    They only thought it wont sell well due to different noise and very little decel on closed throttle.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7