Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, better buy that extra warranty...One thing folks they could have kept the opti/xs for the hipo smaller boats they didn't WANT to...bean counters merc execs whatever...If f1 wants to make new boats for them and still call it f1 that's fine,probably kill it or morph into something else down the road, only a select few will have one on an stv or the likes anytime soon. So where does that leave us STV/allison guys now...if u cant see past the trees and have to have a merc and want an stv or the likes below 20 ft your future is set.. my advise to you is be careful. If ur a 25-35ft cat guy this doesn't apply to you... this new platform was made for you so be thankful and don't tell me its gonna be the ticket on a 500lb 17-18 t boat.. Dave
    Last edited by H2OPERF; 10-17-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    All Mercedees v8 were aluminium bores since the 70's, just the right finish and rings
    Since then, how many Small Block Chevrolet's ( Gen 1 thru LS ) have been put in everything from air boats to Salt flat's racers over a Benz 10,000 to 1 ...???

The benz uses a "cast in" hypereutectic liner that they choose to call silitec .. just another name for the same old shell game ..

Hurt one ... no biggie, replace the block ...................... Ppffffttttttttttt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPERF View Post
    Yep, better buy that extra warranty...One thing folks they could have kept the opti/xs for the hipo smaller boats they didn't WANT to...bean counters merc execs whatever...If f1 wants to make new boats for them and still call it f1 that's fine,probably kill it or morph into something else down the road, only a select few will have one on an stv or the likes anytime soon. So where does that leave us STV/allison guys now...if u cant see past the trees and have to have a merc and want an stv or the likes below 20 ft your future is set.. my advise to you is be careful. If ur a 25-35ft cat guy this doesn't apply to you... this new platform was made for you so be thankful and don't tell me its gonna be the ticket on a 500lb 17-18 t boat.. Dave
    Maybe BRP will come to the rescue, got a 150 3cyl so maybe a 200 v4?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Since then, how many Small Block Chevrolet's ( Gen 1 thru LS ) have been put in everything from air boats to Salt flat's racers over a Benz 10,000 to 1 ...???

The benz uses a "cast in" hypereutectic liner that they choose to call silitec .. just another name for the same old shell game ..

Hurt one ... no biggie, replace the block ...................... Ppffffttttttttttt
    I do remember the hotrod edition where GM said we just made the 25 millionth small block back in the 80's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe BRP will come to the rescue, got a 150 3cyl so maybe a 200 v4?
    I think the market is prime right now for a second effort/evolution type shop buy new mod and sell a ready product for those that can't, I wish i was 20 yrs younger....I think the 2.7 small block etec G2 is a good contender for what we do, they are heavy due to all the things we would change..
    Last edited by H2OPERF; 10-17-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only been out a few months, is a new range of engines finally the lightest 150
    For the Mercury V8, it took days rather than months to figure out whether or not it was a success.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Markus;3168203]For the Mercury V8, it took days rather than months to figure out
    Good point but its at the top end of the range so lots of focus.
    Can you get them?
    It went faster than a 400 so its 100% successful
    Who has the world beating 15hp currently?
    Last edited by powerabout; 10-17-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Since then, how many Small Block Chevrolet's ( Gen 1 thru LS ) have been put in everything from air boats to Salt flat's racers over a Benz 10,000 to 1
    That’s because they are dirt cheap, not because they are better engines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When a 10,000.00 chevy small block makes 1000 hp and it takes 40k to equal it with a "modern" engine you have to wonder if we are really going in the right direction. The chevy s/b blows up, bore it and run the next day. These others need a new block and more expensive parts. Which is superior again?

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

10. Likes 22R liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, low cost is not the only consideration.

The modern engine will have higher efficiency, will rev faster and higher, exhibit less vibration, sound better, etc.

High-end versions of the Corvette seem to be getting modern engines, while the low-end versions will stick with push rod engines. It depends on whether you optimize for cost, or for something else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After reading through this thread, sounds like there should be some guys going into motor design. You don't need to produce it-just design it, show how superior it is to the mercury that you are bashing, prove it with testing for a few thousand hours, you might as well enter some shootouts for publicity and then sell it to a company capable of manufacturing it.

This sounds easy compared to what Mercury has done over the last eight years--they are actually producing them and making money for the investors that back them. "Almost forgot, you need to not infringe on any of there designs and or patents", but that shouldn't be hard as their stuff seems to be no good anyways". It will be interesting to see what your new gear case looks like and how efficient it is "likely to pick up five or six mph in that alone".

When you guys bring your new product to market it will provide you and future generations of your family "happy foreever after money".

I am looking forward to hearing what your warranty is and what you are doing for propellers "Mercury is again is such a rip off". Please keep it around 400 lbs and keep the cost under 20K--after all the 300R for mid 20s is a total "rip off" and a "car motor copy".

I have NEVER witnessed guys bashing the company that they depend on for their hobby to exist like I see here--it really brings ignorance to the front of the line.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Joe said....I think it's time more boat manufacturers step up to the plate and build lightweight 21-23ft badass pad tunnels....Just sayin....

Jr.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    After reading through this thread, sounds like there should be some guys going into motor design. You don't need to produce it-just design it, show how superior it is to the mercury that you are bashing, prove it with testing for a few thousand hours, you might as well enter some shootouts for publicity and then sell it to a company capable of manufacturing it.

This sounds easy compared to what Mercury has done over the last eight years--they are actually producing them and making money for the investors that back them. "Almost forgot, you need to not infringe on any of there designs and or patents", but that shouldn't be hard as their stuff seems to be no good anyways". It will be interesting to see what your new gear case looks like and how efficient it is "likely to pick up five or six mph in that alone".

When you guys bring your new product to market it will provide you and future generations of your family "happy foreever after money".

I am looking forward to hearing what your warranty is and what you are doing for propellers "Mercury is again is such a rip off". Please keep it around 400 lbs and keep the cost under 20K--after all the 300R for mid 20s is a total "rip off" and a "car motor copy".

I have NEVER witnessed guys bashing the company that they depend on for their hobby to exist like I see hear--it really brings ignorance to the front of the line.

Joe
    Spoken like a true zealot!

Let me tell you a little about "MY" hobby and your almighty mercury.
    Every day your messiah stops making parts needed to keep MY hobby alive.
    Every day your messiah raises prices on the parts left that keep MY hobby alive.
    Your messiah abandoned MY hobby years ago when that failed, neglected, forgot to make a comparable replacement for the engine that keeps MY hobby alive.
    MY hobby has no use for bloated, top heavy, fat gear case, 4 joke, car motors.

Your almighty mercury made an engine for zealots with more money than brains who will run out and buy a new boat just to hang the newest version of the good word on the back.
    YOU and YOUR hobby are there target audience, and they knocked it out of the park.

15. Likes 22R liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SBC conversation is always brought up. How many of them go at 6,300 rpm for 40 minutes straight? For 75% of its life?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it amazing that other outboard manufacturers completely ditch racing/HiPo engines, yet Mercury actually puts out a true High Performance outboard, even offer a racing version, then people **** on them for it. How ridiculous. If you adjust for inflation for the 2.5 stuff you bought in lets say 2000, the cost of a new 300r is right on par. Unfortunately you have to be logically educated to see things this way......Something Whaaaat falls short of. Lol
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

18. Likes Rigaud, Brad Zastrow liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast