Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury 300’s

I currently own a 2017 300xs 20 “ torque master with 1.62 gears. I added a Bob’s Machine Shop’s nose cone with lwp. This is a great motor and it does everything great. Power, fuel economy, starts first time and every time, runs smooth from idle to wide open.

I have seen Wildman’s Liberators and see that the 300r is 6-10 mph faster than a 300XS and the 300r has a big torque advantage.

I have have seen dyno sheets that the 300xs is about 306 hp. My question is how much power does the 300r have? How much more powerful is the 300r than the 300 Pro Xs?

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 stroke 300XS motor has been well documented on several dynos.

I do not believe the 300R has been run through the same testing just yet at any independent shops.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen official dyno numbers either. Like you I really liked my 300XS. It was a great motor in stock form and it came alive when I put the DBR on along with the light flywheel.

Wildman has got the liberators flying. Most of us that switched to the R are seeing a 2-4mph (that's in the 21' bass boat circles). The speed pick up was nice, but the time to speed and the distance needed to hit certain speeds is what has really impressed me.

The R is an absolute beast on the top. My XS typically fell off over 6000rpm and crawled up beyond that. The R blasts right past 6000. That's a direct comparison on the same boat running the same gears using the same prop.

I just finished documenting my results and putting together a video that shows the difference between the stock 300XS, 300XS DBR, and the 300R on my boat. I will probably post the video on youtube over the weekend.
    Allison XB21 2+2

4. Thanks D.ONEAL thanked for this post
    Likes Greg G, D.ONEAL, WavetoWave, bearclaw, Toffen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^

Will be interesting to see that video - I noticed nothing different in terms of performance when I went from 300 Promax’s to XS’s on a Spectre 30 - in MN it was a 95-96 mph boat with a best ever of 99.6 mph in the fall running empty. Same props on both motors - 15 X 32 Merc Cleavers

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The new motors don't compare to the XS or promax series. The biggest thing is getting the correct propeller to utilize the torque. This is the start of the new era like I have been saying for over a year now and it is living up to what we were told when they are set up correctly.

Steve has picked up another four or five mph since this video in his 21 Bullet and has his 20 Bullet running 110. He continues to test and refine the stock set up-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSpU8KPzuo
    Joe

7. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent some time talking to the owner of Tuff powerboats at LOTO Shootout this summer regarding the performance of the 300XS vs. the 300R on the two 28 Tuff's he had there. The 300XS boats was, as I remember, 8 MPH faster than the R boat, although the 300XS boat was a little lighter. He stated that the 300XS's real advantage was the top end where the 300R would fall off. This shocked me due to all the hype for the 300R. His results confirmed this. I am eager to here the backlash from this post!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    The new motors don't compare to the XS or promax series. The biggest thing is getting the correct propeller to utilize the torque. This is the start of the new era like I have been saying for over a year now and it is living up to what we were told when they are set up correctly.

Steve has picked up another four or five mph since this video in his 21 Bullet and has his 20 Bullet running 110. He continues to test and refine the stock set up-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSpU8KPzuo
    Joe
    Awesome video. Looks like he had the sporty little deep on that run? That's was prob some of his adjustments? Is that same bullet that runs with randy (wildman) ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300r from what I have heard is close to 330hp. Weight being somewhat equal and if running against a stock 300xs the 300r should be faster as they have same RPM band. 300r having more torque also. However I cannot believe 8-10mph faster as 30hp or 60hp on a twin engine boat will not give you 8-10mph. Maybe the time spent on set up was more on the 300r package. There are others on Facebook that have run the new motor and are not happy with performance. JMO.

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing stock to stock I can't say it is even close. I have several hundred hours on my boat data logging acceleration (5-85, 5-100) and top end. I have data logged the 300XS 1.62 vs. 300XS DBR 1.62 vs. 300XS DBR 1.75 vs. 300R 1.75. I have compared with the same props and load (I keep a spread sheet and have weighed my boat and everything in it). I record the temps and climate data as well to try to make fair comparisons. On my boat the stock XS is the clear loser. Again, I like the motor and would buy another.

It cannot compete with the 300R even on top when the 1.62 should walk away with it. The R simply never stops pulling. Even when its stopped by the limiter the slip drops and it picks up speed. Unlike the XS it doesn't cut off on the limiter unless you have an absolutely tiny wheel on and just hold into it.

This is single engine testing with a boat and driver combined weight of around 2700lbs.

Some have said the R needs different props to run. I have owned one for 5 months now and just bought my first prop for it. Everything I had ran before ran just as awesome on this motor as it did before.

The motor is heavier, and I did have to change my setup (jackplate and battery configuration) to get the most out of it. Much of the testing was recorded on video.
    Allison XB21 2+2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a test of the 300XS 1.62 vs 300XS 1.75.

Allison XB21 2+2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a test of battery placement on the 300R

I used a 28 so I could use the limiter to see the closing time between load placement. The graph at the end compares RPM, Slip, Speed, Water Pressure, etc. You can see how the battery placement impacts water pressure.

Allison XB21 2+2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another video of setback and weight testing

Allison XB21 2+2

15. Likes Toffen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
    300r from what I have heard is close to 330hp. Weight being somewhat equal and if running against a stock 300xs the 300r should be faster as they have same RPM band. 300r having more torque also. However I cannot believe 8-10mph faster as 30hp or 60hp on a twin engine boat will not give you 8-10mph. Maybe the time spent on set up was more on the 300r package. There are others on Facebook that have run the new motor and are not happy with performance. JMO.
    Ron,
    The Tuff manufacturer's 300XS 28 Tuff was the faster of the two.??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it was from what I remember. Not sure if the motors were stock though?

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those who found higher speeds with the HDSM had to take extra time and learn a new setup. Put the same prop, setback, and height as a 300xs and it probably was slower.
    Last edited by engineermike; 10-05-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast