Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be very interested to hear your report once you install and run these injectors! The old pink tips are getting harder to find and prices are getting stupid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this 2 year old thread to discuss alternative injectors, since it seems that the Bosch 0 280 150 036 injectors are out of stock everywhere, and even places like Crowley lists the Mercury equivalent as having a 10-14 day wait time.
    So, after some research I found that in addition to the FiveO injectors that PanRonnie listed above, there are some other replacements that are made by Beck/Arnley, namely part # 1580438, and Standard Motor Products “Intermotor” part # FJ118.
    Both of these are listed by Rockauto as replacements for the Mercedes models that use the Bosch 0 280 150 036 injectors that Mr Connor posted above (thanks for that very good info, BTW), so I assume that they are direct plug and play replacements.
    The SMP FJ118 sounds like it’s a quality piece: made in the US, and with tinned connectors and stainless internals, as well as being flow matched, it sounds to be a good alternative. The best part is that at $55 each, you can buy a set of six for less than what two of the Mercury Bosch injectors costs. Go figure.
    See here:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...6224&jsn=10065

Appreciate any insight any of you folks may have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Beck/Arnley, namely part # 1580438 Injectors are sold at Advance auto as well as other Auto parts Stores as the Bosch 0 280 150 036 replacement injector. They range in price from $50.99 ea to 489.00 ea. BUT!! The Mercury injector Harness wont work on them as designed. Havent looked into the others youve mentioned. When cleaning and flowing injectors on my machines. If I encountered a Bad injector Ive had pretty good luck finding them on ebay, (Both new and used). They were used on Mercedes, Volvo and Volkswagen engines.

Quote Originally Posted by CI STV View Post
    Reviving this 2 year old thread to discuss alternative injectors, since it seems that the Bosch 0 280 150 036 injectors are out of stock everywhere, and even places like Crowley lists the Mercury equivalent as having a 10-14 day wait time.
    So, after some research I found that in addition to the FiveO injectors that PanRonnie listed above, there are some other replacements that are made by Beck/Arnley, namely part # 1580438, and Standard Motor Products “Intermotor” part # FJ118.
    Both of these are listed by Rockauto as replacements for the Mercedes models that use the Bosch 0 280 150 036 injectors that Mr Connor posted above (thanks for that very good info, BTW), so I assume that they are direct plug and play replacements.
    The SMP FJ118 sounds like it’s a quality piece: made in the US, and with tinned connectors and stainless internals, as well as being flow matched, it sounds to be a good alternative. The best part is that at $55 each, you can buy a set of six for less than what two of the Mercury Bosch injectors costs. Go figure.
    See here:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...6224&jsn=10065

Appreciate any insight any of you folks may have.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

4. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. That’s very good to know. I was wondering if they all used the same plug (EV-1?).
    I took a screenshot of a couple of pictures on Rockauto of the Beck/Arnley and the SMP, as well as a picture of a Mercury replacement off eBay:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A393618-E2A1-41C2-975F-470F9525C300.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	395.3 KB 
ID:	497274

Name:	E1ECD126-D5E6-49EE-AA39-79A7F5FF63DA.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	497275

Name:	32F8B62C-41E0-4D80-911B-19A05FAC7938.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	497276

Looking at those photos (IF you can rely on them) the only visible difference I see is that the plug on the mercury (Bosch?) injector has two indentations or dimples in on the outer lip of the plug and the B/A SMP has an elongated indentation? So, I’m wondering if the mercury wire harness won’t fit the injector or whether that elongated slot might make them prone to water/moisture invasion, which would be a disaster, I think?
    You can buy the pigtail from Rockauto to suit the injectors, but I’m not too keen to cut my wire harness and splice those in just to use some (much) cheaper injectors. Not that I think cheaper means lesser quality. Those SMP injectors sure look promising, and for a damn good price too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Who is going to be the guinea pig to try some of these?
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

7. Likes CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hm. I have probably 18-20 sets that have been boxed away. I probably should get them out and in for cleaning.Not to mention pink tip sets.

Funny I was going to post about aftermarket injectors and harness clips.

9. Likes CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    The Beck/Arnley, namely part # 1580438 Injectors are sold at Advance auto as well as other Auto parts Stores as the Bosch 0 280 150 036 replacement injector. They range in price from $50.99 ea to 489.00 ea. BUT!! The Mercury injector Harness wont work on them as designed. Havent looked into the others youve mentioned. When cleaning and flowing injectors on my machines. If I encountered a Bad injector Ive had pretty good luck finding them on ebay, (Both new and used). They were used on Mercedes, Volvo and Volkswagen engines.
    I sent you a message a few days ago if you could please take a look

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never received a PM from you?? Sorry or I would have responded.

Quote Originally Posted by ctobias1984 View Post
    I sent you a message a few days ago if you could please take a look

DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Question!! I know I wouldnt risk trying any even after verifying if they flowed the same on one of my Drag Engines. To save a $1000.00 with the possibility afe blowing a powerhead at $4k minimum isnt in my understanding. But Id love for someone to send me some to compare on my injector machines.

Quote Originally Posted by rjdubiel View Post
    Very interesting. Who is going to be the guinea pig to try some of these?

13. Likes rjdubiel, CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    I never received a PM from you?? Sorry or I would have responded.

Im sorry i meant to Quote @jay -Smith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don’t think I would blindly experiment with them on my motor either, although if the flow rate is the same and they’re direct replacements for the Bosch units (same impedance, voltage offset, etc.) then I don’t see why they wouldn’t work. Maybe I should order a set and send them to get them tested to see how they compare to the Merc injectors.
    For me, it’s not so much about cutting costs, but $230-250 for a circa 1970s Mercedes injector really is ridiculous, IMV. That’s about what ID charges for their fancy 1300X injectors, iirc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think if they flow at high rpm in a test they would work but again, not testing on my motor! ***At high rpm the injector is not cycling anymore, it is basically open and flowing the whole time.***

Statement in Red is not correct per the next few posts.
    Last edited by rjdubiel; 12-02-2021 at 09:06 AM.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdubiel View Post
    I would think if they flow at high rpm in a test they would work but again, not testing on my motor! At high rpm the injector is not cycling anymore, it is basically open and flowing the whole time.
    If it’s open and flowing the whole time, then the injector is too small and your mixture will lean out.
    In fact, it’s best to size injectors for any application so that you keep your IDC below 90%, although I’ve seen datalogs where injectors are running very close to 100% without any noticeable leaning out of the AFR.
    I suppose you could also say that at high rpm your spark plug is firing the whole time, because if you could see it, it would look like it’s simply continuously blazing, but it’s still pulsing.
    You are correct that if they have the same actual flow rate as the Merc/Bosch units, then, all other things being equal they won’t max out any quicker, so there’s no reason to be concerned about them destroying your motor.
    BUT, you’d have to flow and compare them to make sure they match.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My strategy in getting original injectors of ebay
    I bought one 2000/2001 manifold and those injectors flowed about 10% on average more than the older manifold injectors
    You replace the hose end injectors with the pink tip with a new fuel rail as the pink tip are easier to get a hold off
    If you are in a group of friends you could do a fuel injector key party where by everybody throws in their injectors and takes a flowed set home with them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0085.jpg  
    Last edited by PanRonnie; 12-02-2021 at 02:55 AM.

19. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be worried about a direct replacement for a car may not be the same as the Bosch injectors. They may operate different at 8-9k + with cycle rate.
    Last edited by rjdubiel; 12-02-2021 at 09:09 AM.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast