Last year my mom was having a routine eye exam, and they spotted swelling behind her left eye. Turned out it was an aneurysm, which of course is really serious and frightening. As it turned out, a relatively new procedure was available that involved feeling a wire from her hip, up through the main arteries, through the heart, and up into the brain to repair the aneurysm. I had no idea that procedures like this were being performed, and it sounded far, far more desirable than the alternative, which was brain surgery.

It took almost a year of pre-op stuff, medications to thin her blood to reduce the risk of stroke, and numerous hospital procedures involving micro-cameras to investigate the aneurysm, MRIs, etc., to be sure this procedure could be successfully performed. Much of my time was devoted to that, since she needed to be monitored and could not be left alone in case there was an emergency. Yesterday was the day of the actual procedure to repair the aneurysm. The entire procedure itself took only two hours, though it required a hospital stay so they could monitor her recovery. My mom went home today and everything worked out perfectly. I am just extremely grateful and impressed with her surgeon and the technology involved in these procedures. Just incredible.

More info on this procedure here: https://uihc.org/patient-stories/breakthrough-procedure-allows-aneurysm-patients-go-home-same-day

Greg