Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TorqueMaster and mounting height

I have some questions on relative drive heights as I work through some motor options on a Bay Reef boat I’m considering. There are some constraints that differ from what most here have to deal with and little to no information from the “fish boat” community as most consider 50 mph fast and Yamaha to be the god of all outboards.

It appears most most of these boats are designed with a 25” motor height. Some manufacturers offer performance options with the V-Max 20” motors using a 10” jack plate to move the motor back and allow the use of the 20” mid but they are still running under the working assumption that it’s a fully submerged drive.

Heres where it gets fun. I don’t want to use a Yamaha, I want to repurpose a 300XS for this application. Knowing the geometry that works with a fully submerged or traditional lower I’m trying to rationalize this application with a TorqueMaster knowing I won’t be running the speeds to warrant a SportMaster. With the TorqueMaster being considered a semi surfacing drive I believe that by design it’s meant to run higher than a submerged drive. What I don’t know is what is that number? From the specs it would appear that in a one to one matchup a 20” TM would be equivalent to a 25” traditional lower, is that a correct assumption?

Ultimately I want to figure out an end state configuration with a 300XS TM setup that would replace a factory 25” Yamaha (non SHO) mounted to a 6” adjustable jack plate. Or put another way, would a 20” 300XS TM be appropriate against a 25” standard Yamaha 300.
    Last edited by mjw930; 09-19-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    Mark