Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lifeline Jacket Question

I have always wondered if Lifeline jackets are USCG approved PFD's. If you have one on and get stopped by the authority(s) can you be fined if its the only PFD in the boat? I see they offer a recertification but that seems to be a cleaning/repair and a date re stamp service.

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They do not comply with coast guard regs. You might as well have swimmies on. Recertification is for sanction races that require it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was pulled over for a safety check on Tue. and had my lifeline on. He said that it was great to see us wearing jackets and not drinking. The only reason that he stopped me was that he was required to perform 5 visuals by the 15th, he was behind his schedule and liked the looks of my boat. Never said a word about certifications but this was a Florida Wildlife officer not a U.S. Coast Guard boat-there are no markings on the vest but I think they will serve me best if I come out of the boat at speed. The USCG approved orange "typical life vest" would either be ripped off or wrapped around your neck.

I can't imagine any reasonable cop giving you a hassle.

Joe

4. Likes Tango, RiverRat71, delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    I was pulled over for a safety check on Tue. and had my lifeline on. He said that it was great to see us wearing jackets and not drinking. The only reason that he stopped me was that he was required to perform 5 visuals by the 15th, he was behind his schedule and liked the looks of my boat. Never said a word about certifications but this was a Florida Wildlife officer not a U.S. Coast Guard boat-there are no markings on the vest but I think they will serve me best if I come out of the boat at speed. The USCG approved orange "typical life vest" would either be ripped off or wrapped around your neck.

Joe
    I agree, but still keep some cheap orange ones up under the bow.

6. Likes tunnelmike, tnelsmn, delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe
    Agreed, over the 4th of July, when the St. Johns river was close to out of control with traffic my wife and I noticed that for over an hour we did not see 1 boat where the adults were wearing a PFD. We stopped counting at 20 the number of Jet Ski's that passed by without PFDs. We passed 2 Sherif boats and 2 FL F&W boats and got nods and thumbs up with one officer who tugged on his PFD and gave us the thumbs up.

I suppose a lot will be where you live as to how hard they will enforce this rule. Regardless, we too have USCG rated PFD's on board even if what we are wearing isn't.
    Mark

8. Likes Rigaud liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my Allison I always wear my Lifeline and carry a certified vest up under the front deck. I'm sure it saved me at least broken ribs when I was cast out at over 100.
    Gary

I don't know enough, to leave well enough alone.

10. Likes ssv1761982 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe

I wish the cops on chain were that nice I left Blarney's years ago and got pulled over for a safety check I showed him my lifeline he said that's a very nice lifejacket but not a legal one just before he went to write me a ticket I pulled out my cheap ass $5 orange one he said thanks unreal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would bet most won't know the difference if it is USCG approved or not. Like said above they would be happy just to see you wearing something. On the other hand I usually have a USCG approved jacket in the boat. Of course if it is 'one of those guys' I would get a ticket for it not being readily available. So far all of the patrols I have ever met were good guys.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a slow boat but always wear a bass pro jacket with leg straps if fast I would wear a lifeline. The way boaters drive down here a jacket is a must and at my age who cares what I look like.