Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 2.0L 150 carb V6 vs 2.5L 150 XRI - Which to choose?

I currently have a 1989 150 HP 2.0L (it needs work, but @bullet123 is gonna sell me the parts to repair it !).

I've recently been offered a very good deal on a 2.5L 150 HP XRI that comes with an older bass boat and dual axle trailer.
    (Here's a photo of the motor. I don't have the serial number or year. Will give it a sea trial and check compression before buying it).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.5xri.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	448726

If I pick up the XRI, and fix my old motor, swap motors between the boats,
    and if I wait until the spring or summer, I should be able to sell off the other boat with my old motor and break even or maybe even make a few bucks -- meaning,
    for a little work, I can essentially trade my 2.0L Carb for the 2.5L XRI at no cost, or maybe even make $500 to a grand on the deal.

So, here's my question. Is the 2.5L XRI a better motor than the 2.0L Carb, and what are the differences that I will notice -- other than the XRI being easier to start
    when cold -- are there differences in fuel consumption, acceleration, top speed, etc?

I've only ever owned 2.0L carbed mercs, so moving to a 2.5L XRI (which I've read is fuel injected) would be a new experience for me.
    On the other hand, I've worked A LOT on 2.0L carbed mercs, so I already know how to fix 'em when they need work!
    Last edited by pjbrownva; 09-13-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added photo and updated text

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both great motas , more power from xri , if xri has set up for while , mite wanna get injectors checked, but the 2.5 will out perform but the 2.0 would prob last longer and easier work on.
    I'd run the 2.5 and out 2.0 on a stand for a back up

3. Thanks pjbrownva thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO

The Good - fuel injection- starts easier and little more power
    The Bad - More sensors and expensive parts to replace and an injector or ecu can go at anytime causing severe damage

5. Thanks pjbrownva thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the efi gives you problems you can usually sell it off and make enough to go carb with money left over. The 2.5 150 block can easily be made to run much stronger. Ditch the long tuner (or cut it) and maybe a little work in the exhaust chest and they run great with carbs...

7. Thanks pjbrownva thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbrownva View Post
    I currently have a 1989 150 HP 2.0L (it needs work, but @bullet123 is gonna sell me the parts to repair it !).

I've recently been offered a very good deal on a 2.5L 150 HP XRI that comes with an older bass boat and dual axle trailer.
    (Here's a photo of the motor. I don't have the serial number or year. Will give it a sea trial and check compression before buying it).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.5xri.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	448726

If I pick up the XRI, and fix my old motor, swap motors between the boats,
    and if I wait until the spring or summer, I should be able to sell off the other boat with my old motor and break even or maybe even make a few bucks -- meaning,
    for a little work, I can essentially trade my 2.0L Carb for the 2.5L XRI at no cost, or maybe even make $500 to a grand on the deal.

So, here's my question. Is the 2.5L XRI a better motor than the 2.0L Carb, and what are the differences that I will notice -- other than the XRI being easier to start
    when cold -- are there differences in fuel consumption, acceleration, top speed, etc?

I've only ever owned 2.0L carbed mercs, so moving to a 2.5L XRI (which I've read is fuel injected) would be a new experience for me.
    On the other hand, I've worked A LOT on 2.0L carbed mercs, so I already know how to fix 'em when they need work!
    Well so what u thinkin. Lots of help here , can get gud power wit carbs if efi no gud , I do agree with it being lot more expensive to maintain and parts of sumthin goes bad. Ain't cheap. but if $ ain't no issue go efi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinkin' that I'll definitely fix my 2.0L and git er runnin' again... other than that, I'm still undecided.
    I know that I'd like more power, but the cost has scared me... although knowin' that I can convert it to CARBS helps quell those fears.

Sometime over the next couple of weeks, I'll take the 2.5 XRI out for a sea trial and few hours of fun on the water (it belongs to a friend of a friend who invited us to take
    it out for a day of fun and play).

Then, I guess we'll have to decide. Right now money is an issue, but my situation might change. I think the higher cost of parts and more things to go wrong may have scared me off... but I'm still not sure.

I have a good friend who's excited about the 2.5... in fact, he's offered to buy it, and wait until the mota swap and sale in the spring or summer to be repaid -- which would make the mota swap free for me!

I think in the end, I suspect my friend will probably end up buying the bass boat with the 2.5, and at least playin' around with it this fall... Then I can either swap engines, or not, and either way he can resell the bass boat in the spring or summer -- probably at a break even price, or more likely for at a small profit.

If I were a bettin' man, I think I'd bet that we'll end up with the Bass boat, that I'll "try" the 2.5 swap onto my boat, that I'll end up lovin' it, and the rest will be history.

Afterall, you don't buy a boat if you're tryin' to be fiscally responsible... unless , of course, it's a kayak!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.5 gobs more torque.

12. Likes pjbrownva liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess its what u want!! me being a life time boater at 73 there is no comparison to EFI versus carburetors . Dont get me wrong i have owned plenty of carb motors and several of what you have a 2.0 vertical reed motor and a lot less motors Evinrudes, Johnson's, Yami's and so on( long ago) .this is a fact the newer the mota the better they are unless something is broke then they are all the same NOT RUNNING. Here is how i look at it a stator not working is high for a 2.5 merc a stator for a older motor not working is also high and becoming harder to find as with all older motor parts. the efi is basically a very fixable motor with lots of used parts floating around u just need to buy a manual and read it again and again and do maintenance, know what your motor is doing, to do it you have to know what its doing via gauges like temp, w/pressure ,voltage is very important on efi motors , also if your looking for economical boating as a hobby your selecting the wrong hobby believe me it aint . i rebuilt merc v6 only motors for years and i have been vaccinated with efi troubles also carb troubles leaking, flooding, floats sticking, jets come loose and so on. true less parts to look at on carb motor as far as running big end about the same for consumers motors idling and starting efi is tops. ive had 29 different motors on my Bullet because i could put them on not because i needed because i wanted to!! all different horse powers nothing less then 200 every one a efi ( so i im partial to efi) . another thing the 16 amp charging system is a not enough if you have a fishing drawn IE: depth finders live wells that run all day or a radio playing the 16amp system cant keep up with the draw i know ive had 260's and 280 and Promax's with 16 amp systems and a dead starting battery before the end of a days fishing so carry jumper cables u will need um.. i dont know of a just plug and play boating rig just learn about what u have and how to fix it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    I guess its what u want!! me being a life time boater at 73 there is no comparison to EFI versus carburetors . Dont get me wrong i have owned plenty of carb motors and several of what you have a 2.0 vertical reed motor and a lot less motors Evinrudes, Johnson's, Yami's and so on( long ago) .this is a fact the newer the mota the better they are unless something is broke then they are all the same NOT RUNNING. Here is how i look at it a stator not working is high for a 2.5 merc a stator for a older motor not working is also high and becoming harder to find as with all older motor parts. the efi is basically a very fixable motor with lots of used parts floating around u just need to buy a manual and read it again and again and do maintenance, know what your motor is doing, to do it you have to know what its doing via gauges like temp, w/pressure ,voltage is very important on efi motors , also if your looking for economical boating as a hobby your selecting the wrong hobby believe me it aint . i rebuilt merc v6 only motors for years and i have been vaccinated with efi troubles also carb troubles leaking, flooding, floats sticking, jets come loose and so on. true less parts to look at on carb motor as far as running big end about the same for consumers motors idling and starting efi is tops. ive had 29 different motors on my Bullet because i could put them on not because i needed because i wanted to!! all different horse powers nothing less then 200 every one a efi ( so i im partial to efi) . another thing the 16 amp charging system is a not enough if you have a fishing drawn IE: depth finders live wells that run all day or a radio playing the 16amp system cant keep up with the draw i know ive had 260's and 280 and Promax's with 16 amp systems and a dead starting battery before the end of a days fishing so carry jumper cables u will need um.. i dont know of a just plug and play boating rig just learn about what u have and how to fix it.
    Nice! So I guess you're sayin you have at least some experience.

Point taken, and very good advice. I'm a firm believer in diagnostics.. both gauges, and diagnostic tools such as multimeters, and a DVA adapter so that you can read peak voltage when diagnosing stator, trigger and other issues.

That's the truth, but it's sooooo much fun!!! Plus, you can't take it with you, so why not enjoy it while you can?
    When my wife used to complain about my boat and the money I spent on it, I would tell that the boat is the reason WHY I work.
    If I didn't have a boat, I wouldn't see the need for a job.

I've decided if my friend is still willing to do the deal, that I'm all in on the 2.5L. If not, later, when I have more fund$, maybe I'll look for a 2.5, or maybe even try an optimax and/or a proXS version of the opti... I think I'd appreciate the improved fuel economy, and especially how that translates into more range and longer running time between refueling. I realize that I'll probably never burn enough fuel to have the fuel savings offset the price increase for da mota.... but that's not the point.

Thanks TEXAS20225 for sharing your experience and thoughts with me. the 2.5 XRI is sounding better and better the more I think about it, and gobs more to torque would be a GREAT thing to have. Punch it while you're running, and watch it jump! I like that idea.

-Phil
    Last edited by pjbrownva; 09-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are welcome` im also available to help you trouble shoot so all u need is ask

16. Likes Merc 2.5, pjbrownva liked this post