Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    Ya ur rite, wedges for more neg trim will help , motor/plate adjustment,,and hydrofoil, will get nose down ,stern up and low speed cruise , I still stick with my original statement bout hydrofoil. It will cruise low speed on top nose down for very little money , matter fact I got 2 old school ones that I'll send to u for shipping to try. U wont b disappointed but after tryin mite find a newer kind ?
    You can't beat that offer!!!! I've never tried wedges, so I can't comment, but I will say that I've been very happy with hydrofoils. I've put them on my last two mota's and I've had the same experience that @Merc 2.5 described. When I give it gas, the stern comes up and it planes out soooooo much faster, and then I can back off the throttle and slow down while still staying on plane, but at a slower speed -- which can be useful, for example, if the water is somewhat choppy.

I'll add that like boosted said, a jack plate is awesome. I have a CMC jack plate (elctro hydraulic), and it's awesome. Being able to lower and raise the mota height, even while running is really useful. Plus, I love raising it up to get into and out of shallow water. Sometimes lowering the motor can help the ride when it's choppy, but it won't be so drastic as to compensate for the need for more trim -- but a hyrdofoil can probably do that, and it sound like wedges would work too.... especially if the setup really requires more trim.
    Last edited by pjbrownva; 09-14-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya ur rite, wedges for more neg trim will help , motor/plate adjustment,,and hydrofoil, will get nose down ,stern up and low speed cruise , I still stick with my original statement bout hydrofoil. It will cruise low speed on top nose down for very little money , matter fact I got 2 old school ones that I'll send to u for shipping to try. U wont b disappointed but after tryin mite find a newer kind ?
    Thanks merc 2.5!!! I totally agree with you on the hydrofoil I have a buddy that swears by them.. I rode with a guy years ago that made his own and it performed pretty good.. His was pretty much a stainless steel flat plate That extended past his Cavitation plate Adding to the length of the boat.. Would consider doing the same thing but I only have inches to spare in my garage for length.. I am still considering some kind of Hydrofoil. I will just be limited and how far can extend past my capitation plate.. I will figure this out sooner or later just thought I would try wedges since it was a quick and Easy Fix. Ultimately I think trim tabs would be my best option but cannot put them on my boat I have been told.. Warriors skeeters and yara crafts will accept them..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hydrofoils scare me a little but I don't know too much about them but wouldn't that put a lot of stress on your Cavitation plate??
    Bolting it on

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvershiner View Post
    The hydrofoils scare me a little but I don't know too much about them but wouldn't that put a lot of stress on your Cavitation plate??
    Bolting it on
    I haven't had a problem. You drill 4 holes, and... like you said, bolt it on.

The effect is the same as the wing on an air plane. Because of the curved surface on top, the water travels faster over the top than the bottom,
    which causes the hydrofoil to provide lift that is applied directly to the engine, raising it up higher in the water column. This gets you on plane faster,
    and keeps you on plane at lower speeds.

The original one (or claimed to be original) is the davis doel fin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doel fin (davis).png 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	448815

It's two pieces, and the company that sells them claims that having the two pieces and the fact that they easily flex is a positive because it enhances the performance. I have no idea on the veracity of those claims, but I did have a doel fin, and I liked it.

On my current motor I have a Stringray hydrofoil that looks like this:

Name:	stingray hydrofoil.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	448816

I like this one better, because to me it seems to provide more lift, and more stability, so less porpoising.
    There are a few different models of Sting Ray hydrofoils. Notice that this particular model doesn't really
    increase your boat length.

I had tired a different model that stuck out maybe 3 or 4 inches past the end of motor (lengthening the boat), and within
    the first year of use, I broke it off. It very well could have been my fault (who knows)... I'm just sharing that it didn't last for me.
    The style shown above works very well, and I love it.

You may find that a hydrofoil evens things out better than wedges. Sometimes trimming the engine down more can make the boat pound as you go over a chop, because
    it forces the bow down hard as you come off of a wave.

I try to somewhat "surf" on top of the waves, rather than pounding from one to the next.
    Last edited by pjbrownva; 09-14-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: updated reply.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbrownva View Post
    I haven't had a problem. You drill 4 holes, and... like you said, bolt it on.

The effect is the same as the wing on an air plane. Because of the curved surface on top, the water travels faster over the top than the bottom,
    which causes the hydrofoil to provide lift that is applied directly to the engine, raising it up higher in the water column. This gets you on plane faster,
    and keeps you on plane at lower speeds.

The original one (or claimed to be original) is the davis doel fin.

Name:	Doel fin (davis).png 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	448815

It's two pieces, and the company that sells them claims that having the two pieces and the fact that they easily flex is a positive because it enhances the performance. I have no idea on the veracity of those claims, but I did have a doel fin, and I liked it.

On my current motor I have a Stringray hydrofoil that looks like this:

Name:	stingray hydrofoil.png 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	448816

I like this one better, because to me it seems to provide more lift, and more stability, so less porpoising.
    There are a few different models of Sting Ray hydrofoils. Notice that this particular model doesn't really
    increase your boat length.

I had tired a different model that stuck out maybe 3 or 4 inches past the end of motor (lengthening the boat), and within
    the first year of use, I broke it off. It very well could have been my fault (who knows)... I'm just sharing that it didn't last for me.
    The style shown above works very well, and I love it.

You may find that a hydrofoil evens things out better than wedges. Sometimes trimming the engine down more can make the boat pound as you go over a chop, because
    it forces the bow down hard as you come off of a wave.

I try to somewhat "surf" on top of the waves, rather than pounding from one to the next.
    Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me on hydrafoils..are yours plastic or aluminum?? My boat usually does good in 2 to 2 1/2 footers but get into 3s on lake Michigan and no longer can I get on top..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hydrofoil is a bandaid for running the wrong prop.

Several people have already suggested the Rev4... so I will add to it and tell you to get the Rev4R XP. This is a prop specifically designed to have a longer barrel to fix your stern problems.

Email Ken@PropGods.com and he will send it to you for only the cost of shipping. Try it out, and if you need a different one or like it... send it back and he will send you a new one.

Name:	Revolution4-600_CLEAR.png 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	448821
    Last edited by Tango; 09-14-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    A hydrofoil is a bandaid for running the wrong prop.

Several people have already suggested the Rev4... so I will add to it and tell you to get the Rev4R XP. This is a prop specifically designed to have a longer barrel to fix your stern problems.

Email Ken@PropGods.com and he will send it to you for only the cost of shipping. Try it out, and if you need a different one or like it... send it back and he will send you a new one.

Name:	Revolution4-600_CLEAR.png 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	448821
    Thanks tango!!that is very tempting.. From my experience props can make a huge difference ..I know a different prop will definitely help but not sure if will be enough..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks tango!!that is very tempting.. From my experience props can make a huge difference ..I know a different prop will definitely help but not sure if will be enough..
    I'll defer to Tango on that one. I've only had small boats with outboards... I've tried maybe 8 or 10 different props on them, 3 blades, 4 blades, 5 blades (the hi five) in different pitches... all stainless steel and all mercury except for 1 Solas (sp?)... but, getting your prop right is definitely the right answer.

Unless there is something non-standard on your boat, I would *think* that a wedge is just a patch... with the thinking being that the boat was designed to have an engine and run well... so if you can't get it to run well without a wedge, it seems to me that something's wrong... (maybe the prop).... plus, you don't want your thrust to be a too deep of an angle into the water... it's supposed to propel you forward!

To answer your question directly, my hydrofoils have all been plastic, and my boat is an 18 foot ProCraft 180 Combo with a jack plate and an old 150 merc on back.

Truthfully, I didn't even know that they made metal hydrofoils... so I can't comment, other than to say I would be skeptical, or at least do a lot more research.
    The give in the plastic seems to be a plus to me. Something that's too rigid might be a problem.

As for me and my boat, of all the props I've tried, the Laser II always seems to work the best for me... although I'm aware that maybe 10 yrs ago or so, there were a whole new crop of props that are much better, and I've never tried any of those expen$ive props.

-Phil
    Last edited by pjbrownva; 09-14-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is this boat is being run in 3 foot waves.

The solution is tabs, hydrofoil, and or change the thrust line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20190914-200811_Gallery.jpg  
    Azure AZ259, 8.1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post

Boosted you are exactly right.. Tabs are of the right answer.. I have a friend That runs a yara craft with tabs And used to run it without... He said it handles the big chop 100% better with tabs.. If I could run them I would but my boat set up will not accept them from what I have been told..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 2 piece hydrofoil that was posted is great for lift and dosent extend past cav,just widens , tabs work same , just more $, I dont consider bad set up if ur tryin drive on plane at 20 mph. Gonna need help with lift at that speed. I e had best set up poss on my older bote and nothin beat slow on plane speed than a foil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 piece hydrofoil that was posted is great for lift and dosent extend past cav,just widens , tabs work same , just more $, I dont consider bad set up if ur tryin drive on plane at 20 mph. Gonna need help with lift at that speed. I e had best set up poss on my older bote and nothin beat slow on plane speed than a foil
    That in my opinion is the way to run rough chop..slow and nose down and let Sharp part of the V cut the waves.. Unless the waves are small enough to get on top ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post

The problem is Walleye fisherman. Tell them they need two batteries and they will put in eight, 90% of the time they need an Apache for the weather they fish in but will head out in their over glorified bass boats only to be scooped up by the coast guard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That in my opinion is the way to run rough chop..slow and nose down and let Sharp part of the V cut the waves.. Unless the waves are small enough to get on top ..
    Well actually if it's that rough nose needs b up or u gonna stuff it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    The problem is Walleye fisherman. Tell them they need two batteries and they will put in eight, 90% of the time they need an Apache for the weather they fish in but will head out in their over glorified bass boats only to be scooped up by the coast guard.
    Lol.. You are correct.. Like a lot of people we will push the limits to do the things that we love To do!! There's a fine line between stupidity and just a little crazy.. I put my self In just a little bit of a crazy category As I'm just getting a little bit old and trying to set up my boat to still be able to go out and fish In that ****ty weather when you usually catch most of your big fish.. As far as my over glorified bass boat I feel pretty safe since I have filled the entire boat with water before hit the throttle and 90% of the water ran out over the back and ready for the next... So yes that is what gives us walleye fisherman an adrenaline rush And wouldn't trade it for the world!!!

16. Likes pjbrownva liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast