Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium and Merc R motors ?

Anyone running a lithium battery with the new V8 Merc's.
    I had recently purchased a new 125 AH lithium now I'm repowering with a 250R... Mercury recommends an AGM--- Sure hate to pull that high dollar light wt investment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boss has 2 36 volt lithium batteries linked together for his trolling and loves them, with the stealth charger they never die, he told me that the 12 volt batteries are crap and a waste of money, did not perform like he had hoped, if you let them set to long with out use you have to(awaken) them before they will operate, I would not buy a12 volt for the money, stay agm
    97 xb2002 15" 300x w 1.62 sporty
    ( Haulin Bass) (108 mph so far
    (Rip. Whiteally02) -dad
    They call it the American dream, to bad you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will hedrick View Post
    My boss has 2 36 volt lithium batteries linked together for his trolling and loves them, with the stealth charger they never die, he told me that the 12 volt batteries are crap and a waste of money, did not perform like he had hoped, if you let them set to long with out use you have to(awaken) them before they will operate, I would not buy a12 volt for the money, stay agm
    There is nothing inherently wrong with a 12 volt lithium battery. A 36 volt battery is made up of the same cells that make up a 12 volt.
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patchesII View Post
    There is nothing inherently wrong with a 12 volt lithium battery. A 36 volt battery is made up of the same cells that make up a 12 volt.
    I can't disagree, he told me that he would not own another 12 to run as a cranking battery, it gave him to many problems as a cranking battery.
    (Rip. Whiteally02) -dad
    They call it the American dream, to bad you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not concerned with the trolling batteries- I have three 12 volt 50 Ah for a 36 volt trolling mtr that are awesome.
    My concern is with the starting battery... Mercury HIGHLY recommends an AGM of 975 or greater CCA .. The 125AH lithium has worked fine with my old 3.2 ltr 300.

What I'm hearing---
    The motor puts out too much voltage when running for the BMS. It could trip the BMS high voltage cutoff. When that happens your battery shuts off and then the motor shuts off. Not something you want to happen at wide open throttle

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed,
    (Rip. Whiteally02) -dad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Not concerned with the trolling batteries- I have three 12 volt 50 Ah for a 36 volt trolling mtr that are awesome.
    My concern is with the starting battery... Mercury HIGHLY recommends an AGM of 975 or greater CCA .. The 125AH lithium has worked fine with my old 3.2 ltr 300.

What I'm hearing---
    The motor puts out too much voltage when running for the BMS. It could trip the BMS high voltage cutoff. When that happens your battery shuts off and then the motor shuts off. Not something you want to happen at wide open throttle
    Where did you find a 125 AH lithium battery? Most of the ones I've seen while researching are between 12 AH and 20 AH. I am seriously considering lithium for the light weight in my 14 Allison. I've been looking at Full Spectrum Power Batteries and Antigravity. I was going to install a regulator to prevent charging more than 14 volts and damaging the battery. It's a carb motor with no ECM. I was thinking the built in shut off with reset button would eliminate the need for a battery switch and trickle charging when not in use. People are starting Porsche flat 6s and Ferrari V12s with these batteries that weigh between 3 and 10 lbs!!! The race motorcycle batteries weigh 12 oz. will start a Hayabusa! That's amazing.
    Last edited by at100plus; 05-29-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    2004 Hydra-Sports Vector 2600 - twin 225 Yamahas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithium Hub Has them .. Ionic is the brand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by at100plus View Post
    Where did you find a 125 AH lithium battery? Most of the ones I've seen while researching are between 12 AH and 20 AH. I am seriously considering lithium for the light weight in my 14 Allison. I've been looking at Full Spectrum Power Batteries and Antigravity. I was going to install a regulator to prevent charging more than 14 volts and damaging the battery. It's a carb motor with no ECM. I was thinking the built in shut off with reset button would eliminate the need for a battery switch and trickle charging when not in use. People are starting Porsche flat 6s and Ferrari V12s with these batteries that weigh between 3 and 10 lbs!!! The race motorcycle batteries weigh 12 oz. will start a Hayabusa! That's amazing.
    Unless you’re cranking something with crazy compression you can get by on less than 10 lbs. I used to crank a 2.5 with 250 lbs of compression with a 16 cell Ballistic battery that weighed 3.5 lbs. I later switched to 24 cell Antigravity batteries and loved them. Look at the 24 or 30 cell Antigravity. On a normal lake engine you’d probably have a hard time killing it
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I'll check it out.
    2004 Hydra-Sports Vector 2600 - twin 225 Yamahas