Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to hear more on using only lead acid batteries. I have heard from more than one good tech that you should only use lead acid on a stator charging system.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe call CDI and ask for their reasoning. That's who told me about it. That being said, I just bought a used boat with new CDI parts and it has a blue top Optima battery. Working fine.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erine View Post
    I would like to hear more on using only lead acid batteries. I have heard from more than one good tech that you should only use lead acid on a stator charging system.
    It is all about the stator charging the AGM above what is needed (if the AGM is fully charged). I guess it can hurt the battery by trying to overcharge a fully charged AGM battery. That is what I have read.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a Bit deeper than just saying a AGM or Lipo battery cant take the Stator Charge or the Higher Charge rate. Because thats not the case at all. First one cant just go out and buy any AGM or LIPO battery and imstall it in a Boats marine charging system. The batteries have to be able to accept the charging systems system. YES most AGM and Lipo batteries take a special charger or they will get damaged. But there are AGM and LIPO batteries that will properly function without damage installed in a Marine vessel. For Example In My race Boat I was running 2 Braille B1321 batteries @ 21 lbs each at a cost of around $324.00 each. they had the following specs: Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA) 5 sec @ 80F: 1380
    Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA) 10 sec @ 80F: 1207
    Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA) 20 sec @ 80F: 1066
    Cranking Amps 30 sec @ 80F: 892
    Cranking Amps 30 sec @ 32F: 742
    Cold Cranking Amps 30 sec @ 0F: 550

They went for 3 years without a glitch and I ended up selling them and 2 years later the guy is still racing with them in his boat. The key is to keep them properly charged and maintained. The Same goes for LIPOs. I wanted to loose some weight so I Bought 2 Earth X ETX 900 Lipos @ 4.5 lbs each with 860 Pulse Cranking amps and 480 CCA's. So basically I lost 32 lbs But at a cost of $1000.00 Plus a dedicated LIPO charger for another $168.00. I called earth X spoke with a Engineer told him my application and he told me the batteries I needed to maintain the factory warranty. Ive had them Three years with not the first issue. NOW!!! If one thinks they are going to put the batteries mentioned in a Bass Boat with alot of electronics and trolling motor or a River rider with a Stereo system and expect them to hold up like a Marine Deep Cycle Lead Acid battery It Aint Gonna Happen!!!
    Last edited by HStream1; 09-10-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

5. Thanks Erine thanked for this post
    Likes rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about AGM batteries damaging stators or causing engine performance problem? Anyone with experience?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been lurking around this thread since it started, waiting for the down sides to surface. I love using them in every portable tool and handheld device I own, but I'm still not putting one in my boat, motorcycle, or auto. There are many accounts of over charging causing "thermal runaway" - a condition brought about by too many volts/charge rates exceeding the specified limits. The most famous of which was the grounding of Boeing's brand new 767 a few years ago. There were dozens of homes, garages, repair shops, and marina storage facilities burned to the ground after someone used the wrong charger. While I can be sure to use the charger sold with and for the battery, I cannot always be sure it won't malfunction or that a maintenance person won't plug it into a non-compliant charger.

Boat U.S. magazine had an article on this very concern some years ago and showed a boat and it's storage building melted to the pavement by runaway Lithium Ion battery charging. I'm not saying not to - just want to say "Use Caution" and post labels letting anyone/everyone know what's underneath the decks. -- Gordon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had at least 2 lead acid fires at the marina while on a tender.

Starting In the end a properly taken taken care of lead acid will last 1-2 years on the starter. At 60-80$ in the end besides being readily available their also good advice cost wise.

Now deep cycle trolling motor and such it’s hard to beat agm Lipo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithium polymer are considerably more dangerous than lithium ion. I wouldnt use a lipo battery personally. Lithium Ion I could be tempted for sure. Cant be that difficult to rig up a charge limiter or some sort of regulator that would jive with the lithium ion batteries.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    Lithium polymer are considerably more dangerous than lithium ion. I wouldnt use a lipo battery personally. Lithium Ion I could be tempted for sure. Cant be that difficult to rig up a charge limiter or some sort of regulator that would jive with the lithium ion batteries.
    YOU CAN buy a combo charger does lith-ion/lead acid for35$ battery tender junior 800 model it has the circuitury designed for the lithium batteries.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn now I’m mixing up lithium ion and lipo it never ends ahhh.

Naturally thats why many just go lead acid.

12. Likes KIRCHNER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    Darn now I’m mixing up lithium ion and lipo it never ends ahhh.

Naturally thats why many just go lead acid.
    T HEY only can create trouble if there not used properly. i talked to several manufactures, all say to follow simple guidelines. i the last 5 years, they have become much more user friendly. did you know if you look into the cells of a lead acid battery with a flashlight, it can explode. seriously.
    Last edited by KIRCHNER; 09-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2