Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY or farm out???

I am honestly torn on this when it comes to the thought of doing a resto.... when I think about re doing my boat and splitting the hull I feel intimidated every time i ponder it, but much like everything else i do its probably ten times easier then i imagine. however, id like to know how many of you (if any) have taken your boat in to a shop to have them do it? were the costs astronomical? were they hard to deal with? if you had someone resto your boat would you do it again?

heres my train of thought that sparked this question: my boat will likely need some love in about 5 years time and i might as well go all out if i am gonna cut the floor up. I really like the boat as its unique, rides very well, has a nice layout and is a decent size for the water i run. id like it to go a little faster but at 65mph its respectable. with a new transom and properly installed knees i could likely repower to a 300 and have the speed i want. the flip side is i could also just step into a similar sized checkmate in good condition that would probably check all the boxes for me and break the bank somewhere around 15k. if i were to resto my boat myself i assume id be into it for somewhere around 5k(long shot guess) but it would be lighter and stronger when complete. im just not thrilled at the thought of doing it myself, so that sparks the thought of farming this out to a place that does this kind of stuff on the regular, but that would obviously up the cost of the resto significantly...… thoughts?

this is what happens when im bored at work, i think about problems i don't have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about half way through a resto on my Hydrostream. Honestly it scared the crap out of me to take on a project of this size. It's taking twice as long as I originally anticipated. With that said I'm loving every minute of it!

The work has not been as difficult as I originally anticipated. Breaking the process down into small bite sized steps makes it much less intimidating. I will say that I come from a fabrication background. Worked as a metal fabricator/welder for 12 years, so I'm quite comfortable with tools and building.

I've probably spent about 3,500-4,000 on materials and supplies so far. To each their own, but I'm very much enjoying the process. Looking forward to what the pros in here have to say.
    Last edited by tnelsmn; 08-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny that you chimed in on this as I literally just read through your thread this afternoon. Great build by the way. My biggest hold back is the fact I lack a garage. I would have to turn my trailer into a mobile jig and work on it weather dependant in central Canada lol. If it were to cost double what DIY would and be done in 3 months it’s very tempting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Personally I would be hesitant without a garage. I have full climate control in my garage also. There would've been many days missed so far due to extreme cold/heat. From some of the research I've done for hydrostreams they cost around 8-10,000 to be hired out. But I could be wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume final price depends heavily on how finished you would like it to be when you pick it up

6. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Derpid don’t do it without a heated garage in our climate. It will take 2-3x longer than you think as mentioned above. PM me if you want some pointers on best Canadian suppliers.

Matt
    Last edited by MattGreen; 08-22-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another reason I was leaning more towards hiring it out. I mean I could likely commandeer a garage for the build up and do the demo outside/ in my tarp shed but I hate occupying someone else's space. kinda puts a rush on things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the lack of response im guessing most everyone manages to do it themselves. one major downside to hiring it out is that I would likely have to make at least a days drive to get it to anywhere reputable. Is anyone on here from a shop that does this kinda stuff to give a guy an idea?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derpid View Post
    from the lack of response im guessing most everyone manages to do it themselves. one major downside to hiring it out is that I would likely have to make at least a days drive to get it to anywhere reputable. Is anyone on here from a shop that does this kinda stuff to give a guy an idea?
    Call Dave at Pally Performance in Saskatoon to see who they recommend for Fibreglass work in Saskatchewan. You had mentioned transom and floor replacement (which should include stringers also) - all that will be well in excess of $5k due to to the labour hours involved. As you’ve already learned, this sport is not cheap.

Matt
    Last edited by MattGreen; 08-24-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured 5k in materials to do myself. I assume 10-15 hired out. I seen on the google there is a few places in Calgary that claim to do restos. There’s only like the one shop in saskatoon and he’s a douche. Dave might know of a guy who does good work but kinda a small market out here lol. But I found this frisco boater on YouTube who did a full teardown on a cvx 18 and watching that kinda made it less intimidating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the cheapest/easiest route? Buy another hull thats tip top and dont look back.
    If you want a frustrating experience that willl surely kill the dream? Hire a low dollar resto shop/person who promises perfection for half price and enjoy the ride to the bottom of the lake and your pockets.
    If you want a quality restoration that you can enjoy and hire a shop? Seek out the most reputable builder/shop and prepare to pay the piper
    If you want to do it yourself? As mentioned above it takes a lot more time, and costs a lot more than most think BUT this option? Is the only one that gets your build exactly how you want it. If its not right? Start again until it is right etc etc etc. You control the quality and the end product and enjoy the results. Hint.... the quality and results thing? Is usually the reason why you see a project for sale thats "90% done"

While I have yet to restore a boat I've restored plenty enough other things to know the process above is true for all restorations.
    Hydrostream dreamin

13. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derpid View Post
    I figured 5k in materials to do myself. I assume 10-15 hired out. I seen on the google there is a few places in Calgary that claim to do restos. There’s only like the one shop in saskatoon and he’s a douche. Dave might know of a guy who does good work but kinda a small market out here lol. But I found this frisco boater on YouTube who did a full teardown on a cvx 18 and watching that kinda made it less intimidating.
    I would guess that 5,000 mark would be the low side of the job. Depending on materials used, marine plywood/composite board, Balsa core/Dinvencell/composite core, poly/vinylester/epoxy resin, etc. My thought above for a shop would be for just the structure work; transom, core, stringers, floor(agin, I'm probably wrong)

I expect to spend 12-15,000 on my build, but this will include all new gauges, hydraulic steering, full interior, stereo, etc. everything involved to have a brand new boat top to bottom.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its also risky to go at this outdoors imo even with a canopy type shelter unless you can make it a priority and sacrifice a whole season its risky. You cant work these materials in freezing temps and rain isnt going to do you any favors either. Considering all that perhaps a tow the boat to a good resto shop vacation/road trip is the answer? Its the right time of year for this as you can provide the boat to a shop for a few months. Another tip I suggest is never tell a shop "its no rush I want it done right" because the project will only sit until you put pressure on them while they work on other pressured jobs. Might as well start with pressure from the start. Reasonable pressure imo is wise so you dont come off like a jerk but you create boundaries you can both live with. Get it in writing too
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its really all in the air at the moment, mostly just thinking ahead and anticipating the rot. its a 92 so shes got some age but its still quite solid so there is absolutely no rush. the thought of a new boat is quite exciting, but if I want an open bow layout that does 70-80mph the options become very limited and you loose the uniqueness you once had. I mean theres about a dozen checkmates on my lake, sure they are all different colours and whatnot but its just another pulsare on the water among many.

but id have to agree with you lake fever, the only way to get it exactly as you want is to make it so yourself. but it would be nice to be able to have a reputable shop tackle the stringers and transom and then continue on yourself from there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you are going to tackle any of it might as well do it all. Once you get familiar with the materials and set times you'll be having all sorts of fun. At the end you'll likely want to burn it lol but once its done you WILL love it
    Hydrostream dreamin