Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any boat with balsa core is good until it goes bad. Its a living material so the density has variations that composite materials don't. It takes less blow cycles then good composite materials and will eventually get beat out, powder and de-laminate. Its worst enemy is moisture and if the seal gets broken anywhere "well?"... most boats that I own are exposed to water.

I have tons of pictures to document this over the years-its not uncommon.

There are guys out there that know their tanks are bad "you can see the waves in the outside of the boat" therefore the core is wet, the inner and outer skin is de-laminated and flopping loose. The next thing to happen is for the outer skin to fracture, break loose while running, the bottom hydraulics-get torn off and the boat sinks (hopefully it doesn't happen at speed and people get hurt). Please inspect your boat for soft spots. If it starts to loose speed or handling different, it could very well be that the running surface is soft and creating dips and hooks.

This is not just skaters or a skater bashing thread. This is any boat that is constructed with wood and there are a ton of them out there that continue to be built with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balsa gone bad.jpeg 
Views:	365 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	447796

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bashing and your post explains in detail why an old 28 Skater WITHOUT problems or power is worth a fraction of what people seem to be willing to spend on them. If the tanks are trash and it’s got moisture in it’s core then it’s worth even less, if it’s worth anything at all...... Just like every other boat of this vintage built with 1960’s technology.

Then again, something is worth exactly what people will pay so good for the people that own them and good for the cottage industry that’s sprung up fixing them.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys no way I am buying a wood boat, aluminum is the way to go, and even if a weld cracks its easy to fix

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you look at how much a top brand new 28' cat that is rigged minus motors (regardless of brand-Skater, DW, Nordic, Eliminator) costs, $10k is a drop in a bucket to put into a hull that can run easily over a 100 in nasty chop, somewhat safely.

5. Likes tux974 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PORT View Post
    When you look at how much a top brand new 28' cat that is rigged minus motors (regardless of brand-Skater, DW, Nordic, Eliminator) costs, $10k is a drop in a bucket to put into a hull that can run easily over a 100 in nasty chop, somewhat safely.
    That’s always the argument and I believe it points out a problem in the size range. There is absolutely no justification of the price builders charge for boats this size, it’s pure greed.

Actually, it’s much deeper than that, there appears to be enough money available for them to stay busy building $250k+++ 32’s through 36’s which puts a ton of money in their pockets. Taking that same labor force away to build small 26’ - 28’ boats literally leaves millions of dollars on the table so they price them in a way that discourages a buyer or, generates equivalent profit.

The other problem is there are only a few dealers working in this space and they have entered into long term agreements with the builders to purchase a set amount of hulls over time. If a new builder pops up with a reasonably priced option these dealers are unwilling to take them on knowing their buyers will opt for the rationally priced option and they will owe penalties to the big name builders for not meeting their commitments.

It’s a bit of a double edged sword and the losers are people like us who don’t have half a million of disposable income but want something bigger than a 22’ SOB and the small builders who have great product but can’t get market penetration.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a post looking for a 28 skater cheap
    turns into a 20+yr old hull having wood issues,,,,,
    from the 1rst built 28 till skater stopped em in the 2000s
    was is the best working 28 cat for speed ,handling in offshore conditions
    as why there is a good following and people still wanting them
    as was built for the slop,,,,and for only 28 takes 3'ers nice and with older 280s of the 90s ran 110-115 commonly
    raced and won offshore events all through that era,,,
    and theres a lot of new hulls out there that cannot take the beating or drive through what this 28 takes
    so 20+ yrs later having tank issues due to the ethonal fuel,,,
    ok 10k to fix tanks or replace with alun
    so what other hulls then did what they did for the smaller size offshore
    today a new 28 wil cost u 300k window for same hull as then unless upgrade to be widened or flatdecked
    so @50-75 for a non restored original paint and interior with older motors
    or 75-115 fully restored with newer motors @ a 50-100k restoration spent when upgraded
    is far less than new,,,so a wanted hull
    when the average speed out of these new 34-36 hull which are awsome,,,and new tech materials are 350-500k
    is the 115 window ,,,and breaking 120 with flashed ecus and ultra light,,,,,
    with new 60k 450r motors speed will come up in 2020
    but back to original 28 with new 300r speed will be over 120 stock for less than new for used
    all in what some1 wants to own
    as far as boat building a 28 vrsing the new 34-36 hullsonly being a little bit less,,,
    well when u own a huge manufacturing facility to build these boats,,,the cost of labor,,,the 400% mark up in construction materials
    in the last 10yrs,,,the price of new components to rig ,,interior prices now,,and top off the 60k motors each
    it costs the builder the same overhead and time to build a 28 as building a 34-36,,,,
    just less construction material for the hull as have all same costing in rigging and motors
    I don't like it being so high but understand owning the facility overhead
    just same in a fishing boat,,,,how many 18-21 CC being made versing 35+
    skater,mti,DW,mystic which are the main players for offshore o/b cats
    are all awsome boats but I cannot afford a new 1
    but I can pick up as I did a good 28 as a starting point for a full restoration
    and when finshed enjoy it as much as a new 1,,,,for 1/3 cost of a new 28
    100-200k less for the new 34-36
    so when having to do some core repair on a 20+ yr old hull,,,or tank repair
    not really a bad thing as when done right,,,,,will go another 20+ yrs beating it in the rough enjoying it
    just my 2 cents
    Last edited by johnmiffco; 09-02-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what cheap is for you, but this is for sale with 3 fresh 2.5 offshores for $80

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67676129_2911898818826876_7711922987548540928_n.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	448059
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

9. Likes Frank Molé liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^

28 w/ trips - be fun to throw the sticks on that beast ! Acceleration must be brutal.

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $200k really isn’t that much money when your paying for labor, materials and overhead.

1,000 man hours into the boat $50k, materials for $20k, rigging for $15k and a trailer.. only making 25% and they need to keep crew working. What do you think it should cost the direct costs to build it + 5%?? ****ty business model

Mercury mechanic charges $150hr around here so I don’t see how prices are that out of line.

you can get a new 24’ twister wider body delivered for $32k USD and it will perform damn well

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well put John!
    To me its pretty simple!
    If you have concerns and feel its not for you then do not buy one!
    Posting negative and generalized comments is just not right.
    You also have guys buying boats that are under market value which to me automatically states "WORK NEEDED" then complain how the boat is a piece crap makes no sense.
    If you really want a certain boat or item and have any concerns or are not sure about something then bring a TRUE or knowledgeable professional.....especially if you are paying top dollar. Keep in mind most times you get what your paying for.....JMPO

13. Thanks johnmiffco thanked for this post
    Likes Frank Molé, Tango, Euroski liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    That’s always the argument and I believe it points out a problem in the size range. There is absolutely no justification of the price builders charge for boats this size, it’s pure greed.

Actually, it’s much deeper than that, there appears to be enough money available for them to stay busy building $250k+++ 32’s through 36’s which puts a ton of money in their pockets. Taking that same labor force away to build small 26’ - 28’ boats literally leaves millions of dollars on the table so they price them in a way that discourages a buyer or, generates equivalent profit.

The other problem is there are only a few dealers working in this space and they have entered into long term agreements with the builders to purchase a set amount of hulls over time. If a new builder pops up with a reasonably priced option these dealers are unwilling to take them on knowing their buyers will opt for the rationally priced option and they will owe penalties to the big name builders for not meeting their commitments.

It’s a bit of a double edged sword and the losers are people like us who don’t have half a million of disposable income but want something bigger than a 22’ SOB and the small builders who have great product but can’t get market penetration.
    No worries man just started on design of a 28 offshore tunnel, no wood and we will sell them cheap. No dealers factory direct only.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no question that the 24 and 28 skaters were way ahead of their time and were nothing short of dominate in the racing world. I have had both and have two skaters now but when you can buy a new modern design DW28 all composite with a windshield, Alum. tanks, and a complete interior for under 100K it makes me question the 30 year boats. Rig it with 300XS motors and run in the low 120s, spend the money for new R motors and you will get to 130. Mine will be done at some point and will be documented as we go through the set up process.

Joe

16. Likes Euroski liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well let’s go Big Boy ... I can’t wait to see it.

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW ...

How does one order a DR ? I wouldn’t even know who to call.

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPEROG, the DW28 will run in the same size water that the 28 Skater can?
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast