Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who designed the 12 inch midsection and trim system for the Mercury 650-700X, T2X ?

one of the engineers at Mercury, or?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guy called Chari..... strange that ya ask......he had a nite job. Just.....kidding......

4. Likes Merc25sshydro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    yes.
    obviously, somebody at Mercury, but does anybody know if any one person came up with this, or a group of engineers?, ect. I have one of these mid-trims, and i wanted to know who to give credit to for the excellent engineering. hey, fugimo, i replied to your thread: Hydrostream ski wing. you might find it interesting.
    ;

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask Willabee or Butler, they might know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIIX Mid Section Design ......

Quote Originally Posted by mercboat View Post
    one of the engineers at Mercury, or?
    Around that point in time, most of the engineering changes for racing were coming out of Dick Lanpheer's group at Plt.6 in Oshkosh. I was pretty sure that the TIIX DSH was his baby, but thought I'd better ask him just to be safe. Dick was kind enough to reply as follows:

Hey Bill, it was good to hear from you! ...................................... Anyway, I digress.

On with the TIIX driveshaft housing/midsection. While this was a group effort I regret to tell you that I was the originator of that project. We were seeing some major improvements in the powerhead performance which was primarily due to volumetric efficiency and it was obvious to me that we needed to eliminate any and all restrictions to exhaust flow through the driveshaft housing/midsection. Fred Anderson was my designer and I asked him to layout on the drawing board a short housing with accommodation for essentially unrestricted exhaust flow. Meanwhile, we fabricated an aluminum rectangular “box” that could be bolted to a TII (top) and a Speedmaster gearcase (bottom) that we mounted on a propshaft dynamometer. Since we knew the propshaft horsepower and we sorta knew the gear losses of a Speedmaster, I started to hack away at the exhaust outlet. Working with the Styling Dept. (Art Miller and Bob Boede), they made a clay model complete with exhaust outlet. I had done some calculations and I think I came up with and out of 18 sq. inches and I knew that was going to be loud. From the dynamometer evaluation we pretty much verified we needed 18 square inches minimum so Fred Anderson and the styling guys got together and came up with a layout. Harry Probst was the engineer responsible for the hydraulic trim systems on all the outboards so he and Fred Anderson worked out whatever hydraulic trims issues might be encountered with the swivel bracket (my memory of that is poor since I was concentrating on the fluid dynamic issues). But anyway, from there we finalized the drawings of the driveshaft housing and had some sand castings made by our sand casting vendor in Manitowoc (I can’t remember that name either). Anyway, we obtained some sand castings, had them machined by Vern Habach’s guys in the machine shop, assembled a complete outboard and tested it. I remember that I did not review the design with Bob Johnson nor Alex since I didn’t think I needed any help screwing it up. My big concern was that the exhaust was going to be unrestricted and very loud and I was willing to take my lumps from Alex if it worked like I thought it would. After a few initial tests we verified we had sufficient exhaust flow, but I remember going back through the calculations and then designing a muffler that would fit in the drive shaft housing in case I got beat up for sticking my neck out without a way out of what could have been an unpleasant experience, if you know what I mean.

So, I hope that answers your question. Apologies for all the words, but projects like that involve a lot of cooperation and that’s how things get done.

Meanwhile, take care and I hope you are well, happy and at ease with your world!

Cheers, and try to stay out of trouble for once.
    Dick

Probably more than you wanted to know, but sometimes that's what we get for asking.
    Last edited by willabee; 08-24-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manitowoc foundry was ECK. They also made the first 3.4 cylinder blocks, which were full of porosity - I remember we were machining them and get up to cylinder boring and end up throwing them away when you hit a hole you could stick your thumb in. ECK was good at some things but not good at making that big block. When the blocks started coming from Cosworth, it was like night and day - they prequalified the block for bore location and porosity was non existant. Ya get waht ya pay for.

9. Likes FMP liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow!!!! just proves again, it's not how much you have, but who you know. Thank you very much, everybody!!
    when i put this 650X mid on one of my boats, i'll know who to give credit too.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't think the 650x mid is the same as the T2X mid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I don't think the 650x mid is the same as the T2X mid

Same Transom mount plate, later swivel bracket, and trim...that's it. Earlier swivel brackets were different that the TIIX

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i asked the question about who designed the 12 inch 650-700X mid, i also included the t2X mid because it uses the same single ram trim system. they chose to answer talking about building the t2X mid. the same people did both, the 650x, and the t2X. Excellent engineering.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Willabee.......History saved

15. Thanks willabee thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H, GENE LANHAM liked this post