Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SeaStar power assist issue

Pulling up to the dock this afternoon while at idle my power assist unit started howling like a bilge pump that has run out of water...only louder. It does this when you turn the key to the "on" position and wont stop. Ended up disconnecting power from the unit and strong-arming it back to the trailer. Let me tell you, manual steering on a big single 4 stroke isnt very fun.

I have no leaks anywhere. Looking through the PDF for the unit it should only power the pump with Ignition hot and input from the helm so not sure why it would be running all the time now with Ign on.

Anybody have any similar experience? Its the Seastar PA1200-2 unit with a 2.0 helm.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teleflex has a good Tech Support line, including access to their engineering staff if necessary. Call them

I have one of these units as well but have not rigged it yet so I’m curious about what you learn on this issue.

Matt
    Last edited by MattGreen; 08-12-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a 250 or 300 four stroke you should probably be running the PRO 1315 system and helm, not the basic 1200. The pump may be over worked and burned up.

The basic systems are rated at 1000 psi IIRC and the PRO system at 1500 psi to carry the extra burden.
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... also the pump is wired to the ignition, therefore it IS running all the time the key is on. So what you are hearing is a LOUD motor, not the normal quiet one.

The pump has a third hydraulic return line that circulates the fluid constantly through the system. The system with out the pump only has 2 hoses coming out of the helm.
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's wired to the ignition switch, but it definitely doesn't run all the time. You can hear it when you steer, but it's otherwise off and silent when you aren't turning the wheel. Maybe air in the system?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SeaStar PA system is always powered via the direct battery feed and uses a trigger wire tied to the ignition to activate the system when the ignition is on. The system uses fluid flow sensing logic to power on the motor when it senses fluid motion. Then there is no motion the motor isn’t supposed to run. The motor will power up when it gets the initial ignition signal to pressurize the system and cycle fluid through the return but should shut off. It will also run if it senses a drop in pressure but that indicates a potential problem.

As TraceF3 said, there are two different models of the PA, the 1200 and the 1315. The primary difference between the two, aside from the higher potential pressure in the PRO is the logic and valving to accommodate the differences between an unbalanced and balanced system. From what you said you have the proper helm for this pump but I agree with Trace, you should have the pro system.

Regardless it’s a safe bet either the motor bearings or the pump / valve body have failed. I’d call BoatSteer, as mentioned above and get the PA unit to them for a rebuild. They are the best in the business with the SeaStar systems.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoke to Seastar tech and explained my symptoms and instantly he said its almost 100% a broken coupler between motor shaft and pump. Sent a pretty crappy pic of the pump serial number and if the pic is good enough for warranty dept should have a new steel replacement coupler shipped out today.

Big thumbs up for SeaStar customer service so far!

8. Likes mjw930, MattGreen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Seastar tech was 100% correct. Little plastic coupler cracked and fell off motor shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190817_113713.jpg   20190817_113706.jpg   20190817_113628.jpg   20190817_113601.jpg  

10. Likes mjw930 liked this post