Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my SeaStar. Super tight and easy to turn all the time. I do not have the power assist.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdubiel View Post
    I love my SeaStar. Super tight and easy to turn all the time. I do not have the power assist.

Thats what I read when doing research so im hoping for the same. This boat is prepped for a big step up in speed over my last one and I want to have all the nec bits to control it safely and drive it easier. Adding steering trim and jack plate control at the same time. I got the teleflex dual blinker kind. Solid mounts going in as well. Thats probably all I'll do for this season
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOU can get different fittings for the ram, straight, or 45'. i think factorys are 90' for a custom app. my local hydraulic shop had em.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bleeding will not be fun with loops in the hoses, you will get air trapped if you are not using a power purge. best bet is to bleed the system with the cylinder not hooked up to the engine, stretch out the hose so they are laying flat in the boat and put the cylinder on a table with the cylinder sitting as it would be on the motor (bleed fittings at the highest point).
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

5. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a power bleeder that I will use for this but Im wondering what method you guys use or any bleed tips I should know? I was going to attach the power bleeder to the helm unless you guys have other suggestions?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    I have a power bleeder that I will use for this but Im wondering what method you guys use or any bleed tips I should know? I was going to attach the power bleeder to the helm unless you guys have other suggestions?
    The seastar powerpurge pumps the oil from the helm back to the cylinder and from the cylinder back into the oil reservoir of the power purge. While it's cycling, turn the wheel both directions about 20 turns slowly.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that will help. I dont have a return system currently for my power bleeder but Im sure I can rig something up that loops the fluid as you mentioned or I guess I'll be buying more fluid
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that will help. I dont have a return system currently for my power bleeder but Im sure I can rig something up that loops the fluid as you mentioned or I guess I'll be buying more fluid
    Or just use a container to catch it in and keep an eye on the power bleeder level, pour the container back into the power nleeder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that will work too. The only thing I dont like about my power bleeder is it does take a fair bit of extra fluid to do the job. I'll check out those return style and see if its maybe time for a new tool buy. I did see that bubble bleeder deal on u tub which looks to be pretty simple
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 18' hoses are perfect.. I could squeeze 16' in there but it would be tight and the way I have them routed now there is no chafe or contact anywhere and not really a lot under the deck either. I did some searching and do like the set ups who run the bulkhead fittings through the splashwell with the braided hoses which I would have done had I thought of it or seen those earlier but what I have now doesnt look bad and will work mint. Now to sort out bleeding....
    Hydrostream dreamin

12. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never used a power bleeder, and never had a problem with any hyd. steering system. Follow post #19 and no problems will follow.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s already bolted up so I can’t bench bleed it that way but I’m wondering if the 2 quarts of fluid the kit came with is enough? Tricky to find and pricey
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bled it out today and it took about five minutes with no bench purge and dry lines. The helm looked to be primed when I took it out of the package it was mostly full of fluid so it only drew in about a quart and a quarter. I did buy a third quart in case I needed it which i did not and I used this method here with 5/16" ID PVC lines I bought a 20' roll at Home Depot which I cut up and used the plastic fittings to connect the helm to a bottle of fluid. I inverted and elevated the bottle on a stand as this vid shows and cut two openings in the bottom to hold the two lines from the bleeders and the second hole for refilling as I drained it. I cracked both bleeders and slowly turned until all the air was 100% out and it is 100% out lemme tell ya this worked great and I did it alone. Five to ten minutes tops to bleed the whole system. If anyone has a youtube account give this guy a bump and thank him for me pls

Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much play is there supposed to be? I have exactly 4.2 turns lock to lock but I can force it to move past the stop is that how these are? Its not really hard but it takes effort. When I center the wheel the play seems a bit more than I expected. With a 14" dia wheel I measured 1/2" of free play between left right at the wheel. I bled the snot out of it three times since last post and managed to improve it very slightly but only slightly. Is there more gains to be had or is 1/2" at the wheel normal?
    Last edited by LakeFever; 08-26-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much play is there supposed to be? I have exactly 4.2 turns lock to lock but I can force it to move past the stop is that how these are? Its not really hard but it takes effort. When I center the wheel the play seems a bit more than I expected. With a 14" dia wheel I measured 1/2" of free play between left right at the wheel. I bled the snot out of it three times since last post and managed to improve it very slightly but only slightly. Is there more gains to be had or is 1/2" at the wheel normal?
    Sounds about right, you goal is to get it so there is no play at the motor. Grab the motor and see if you can turn it side to side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast