Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plastic coated or open stators for 2.0l carb motors?

I already ordered a Merc/Quicksliver stator (which is coated), so that’s what I will have for now. But I noticed that CDI sells open style ones.

My motor is run fresh water only, but in very hot desert sun. Almost always over a hundred degrees. Makes me wonder if the open design of the CDI would have been better for me?

-Peter
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes the CDI design runs cooler and is generally preferred in my experience. That said, I wouldn't tear out a good working Merc stator to switch so I wouldn't worry about it...

3. Thanks pcrussell50 thanked for this post
    Likes pcrussell50 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So those coil wires are all plastic coated because if they were to touch each other and short it would kill the functionality of the stator. The thinner the coatings are the better they are at shedding heat, since all polymers insulate pretty well. The coils also need to to be tight so that they don't vibrate and rub each other and break through the coating and short out the coil.
    IMO adding additional potting is likely to protect from vibrating wires while protecting the coils from knicks to the exterior wires which could further corrode and cause delamination of the thin coating. In a situation such as a a failing water pump though potting could lead to early death of a stator by not allowing heat to escape with the additional thermal insulation of potting material. If it gets too hot the polymer coating will degrade and the wires will short out. Failed rectifiers or switch boxes might cause increases in heat on their respective coils as well and would eventually cause thermal degradation of the coating and failure of the coils.
    I ran failed recitfiers for a few years on a 40 amp 2.5L and the charging coils were discolored from the heat but still functional.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_wire

I agree with nitro don't fix what isn't broken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real difference is the CDI stator has a 2 year warranty the Mercury stator has no warranty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfmarine1 View Post
    The real difference is the CDI stator has a 2 year warranty the Mercury stator has no warranty
    Mercury has a one year warrenty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
    Mercury has a one year warrenty.
    You sure about that everywhere I ever bought a Mercury electrical part they were not returnable

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sure about that everywhere I ever bought a Mercury electrical part they were not returnable
    100% positive

Not returnable if package is opened is different then no warrenty.

The no return is to keep people from buying something, putting it in to find it didnt fix the problem, then returning it possibly damaged.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
    100% positive

Not returnable if package is opened is different then no warrenty.

The no return is to keep people from buying something, putting it in to find it didnt fix the problem, then returning it possibly damaged.
    And the stator bolt marks on a new stator makes it a used part and merc can't stuff it in a new box and sell it as new.
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

10. Likes RSWORDS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me get this straight, you take it out of the box bolt it on,it doesn't work you can't return it how is that a warranty?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me get this straight, you take it out of the box bolt it on,it doesn't work you can't return it how is that a warranty?
    If its defective out the box its covered. You get another. If it's ever been removed from the packaging and you want to return it, not warrenty it (get a replacement) to bad. And thats identical to CDI and every other electronics manufacturer out there. If its broke, you get another.

A return and a warrenty claim are to separate things

I'm not speaking from "I heard" I'm a Mercury dealer, and I've also been to CDI for a week in Huntsville for there training (amazing class I reccomend) and sell alot of their products.

I've been inside there factory and seen it all up close. You mount one of there statues and change you mind for what ever reason and dont want it, your not supposed to be able to return it.
    Last edited by RSWORDS; 08-07-2019 at 08:11 PM.

13. Likes racervboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a defective mercury part and the supplier or dealer you got it from is not honoring it get Mercury involved through their website. I had casting porosity on an aluminum propeller took mercury to acknowledge that it was indeed a defect and set things straight. 1 year for defective parts doesn't matter if it was installed. I had already installed it but the porosity wasn't apparent until the paint started to delaminate over it in the middle aft end of the prop surface. The part supplier was trying to tell me it was prop damage from use but everything got settled after Mercury got involved.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinmymission View Post
    If you have a defective mercury part and the supplier or dealer you got it from is not honoring it get Mercury involved through their website. I had casting porosity on an aluminum propeller took mercury to acknowledge that it was indeed a defect and set things straight. 1 year for defective parts doesn't matter if it was installed. I had already installed it but the porosity wasn't apparent until the paint started to delaminate over it in the middle aft end of the prop surface. The part supplier was trying to tell me it was prop damage from use but everything got settled after Mercury got involved.
    Mercury has always been VERY good on taking care of warrenty issue in my experience.