Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dewald Props for 28 Skater?

Especially when we have rear seat passengers, I have a tough time getting through the "hop". I currently have Mercury 14 1/2x32, 3 blade cleavers. I have been told that 4 or 5 blade Dewalds are the cats ass for a 28. Any thoughts? I am not excited about buying more props, but if it helps, I am all in.
    Just an FYI, we like to cruise at about 80 mph or so, and currently it takes about 85 to get through the hop with 2 passengers.
    Thanks!

2. Likes 38 wright liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For carrying big weight, the 5 blade thru hubs will work better then the 4 blade over hub (Dave makes both). For top end, the 4 blades have shown the best results. Both are better then what you are running now and will be much easier on your gear cases.

Joe

4. Likes Glyn mathews, NICE PAIR, larslindroth liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Joe. I talked to Shaun Torrente at the LOTO shootout last summer who recommended the five blade thru hub props for boats with a lot of people. He tested a 28 with the five glade thru hub props and said that the boat was pretty much unaffected by additional weight. I first started with Mercury three blade 14 3/4" x 34's when I got the boat. Then changed to Dewald 14 3/4" x 34's that i borrowed from Shaun Torrente and gained 6 mph. Then bought 34.5's from Dave Dewald and jumped to 118 mph. The best benefit from the 4 and 5 blade props is the reduction in vibration in my opinion. Like I posted earlier, you should have hop from 45 mph to maybe 75 mph depending on weight distribution in the boat (people and fuel). Started testing some 34" five blade over hub props last fall, but ran out of boating season. Had to lower the X dimension considerably due to the extra stern lift of the five blade props so I expect some good outcomes with them (loosing water pressure). I haven't been able to use my boat yet this summer due to our lake being flooded all summer! Now down from 30 feet above normal to 10 feet above. Hope to be on the water next week.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bite the bullet and order the dewalds. you will be happy. I am!

7. Thanks Activator 123 thanked for this post
    Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe 'Big Mike' will chime in, but he's running Dewalds on his 28 with 300x motors and very happy with them. . prior had cleavers till it threw a blade .. . he may chime in once he gets off vacation haha
    Last edited by Zukiride; 08-05-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I just sold a pair of 36 x 15.25 Hill cleavers to a guy in Miami with 400's on a 28 Skater. He was running 35" Dewald 5 blade thru hubs at 121. With the Hills, he now runs 125. I don't know about the hop on his boat, but you know how heavy the 400's are.
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com
    Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

Visit My Liberator Boats Website

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDMAN View Post
    I just sold a pair of 36 x 15.25 Hill cleavers to a guy in Miami with 400's on a 28 Skater. He was running 35" Dewald 5 blade thru hubs at 121. With the Hills, he now runs 125. I don't know about the hop on his boat, but you know how heavy the 400's are.
    Holy Jeezus! 125 in a 28 is unreal!

I’d contact him about the 35’s but I don’t think that I could spin them with my 300x’s

Left coast Ca./Willow Valley AZ.AKA Lenny
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where to start with a 24 skater and twin 300xs
    Willow Valley AZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
    Holy Jeezus! 125 in a 28 is unreal!

I’d contact him about the 35’s but I don’t think that I could spin them with my 300x’s
    I think the 125 is more impressive with 300Rs at 6400 with 1.75s on the DW28. The 400Rs twist to 7150 and the 36DW has seen 126 with them.

He has the big cases as well. You need the same stuff that everyone is running in Super Stock. If you want top end numbers, order a set of four blade over hubs from Herring or DeWald. If you want load carry and don't mind sacrificing a couple mph on top then order 5 blade thru hubs from either of them. These have been well proven on a 3L for several years now.

Joe

13. Likes johnmiffco, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja1000 View Post
    Where to start with a 24 skater and twin 300xs
    34 or 35 the same as the response above. If you haven't moved your rear seat forward and carry passengers then you will most likely be happier with the 5 blades. I recommend 14.75 to 15" dia. "you can always cut them down but you can't add to them".

Joe

15. Likes larslindroth, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 14 3/4 X 32 Dewalds ( 4 Blade Cleavers ) on a 28 Skater w/ 300X’s - will run 111/112 mph - hop is there but minimal since it accelerates quickly thru it - I ran 109 mph with 4 people in the boat and the two guys in the back seat were 210 lbs + ... BTW - I couldn’t spin the 34’s and I would love to try a pair of 30’s

Find someone who knows 28 Skater - If I keep mine I’m considering hauling it down to Iowa and letting Tom Kennedy drive it - I don’t know enough to dial it in

Great boat

MDS

17. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 28 will settle down around 75-80mph if set up correctly. Boat needs to be balanced. 34-35” pitch props IMO are too big for a 300xs powered 28 with heavy load.
    Like stated above nothing gets you past the hop better than acceleration. My 308 will take a few hops and settle right in. With a good balance I have been able to back down to around 70mph without the hop coming back.

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

19. Likes cowisl, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Left coast Ca./Willow Valley AZ.AKA Lenny
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    34 or 35 the same as the response above. If you haven't moved your rear seat forward and carry passengers then you will most likely be happier with the 5 blades. I recommend 14.75 to 15" dia. "you can always cut them down but you can't add to them".

Joe
    this is a project boat and yes would like to move rear seats, how far forward should I go, say back of rear set to front of transom
    Willow Valley AZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja1000 View Post
    this is a project boat and yes would like to move rear seats, how far forward should I go, say back of rear set to front of transom
    24 inches gives you the ability to make a nice hatch and storage area. I did this with a 28 and my current 24 (added a bulkhead in, built a hatch for the opening, then put two buckets with console between them). I have always liked the idea of knowing that passengers are able to secure themselves like we can in the front and you just can't do it sitting on a bench if you are going to run in any bumps.

Joe

22. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 28 skater 400rs

Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    24 inches gives you the ability to make a nice hatch and storage area. I did this with a 28 and my current 24 (added a bulkhead in, built a hatch for the opening, then put two buckets with console between them). I have always liked the idea of knowing that passengers are able to secure themselves like we can in the front and you just can't do it sitting on a bench if you are going to run in any bumps.

Joe
    The 28 skater, kevlar, with 400rs is MY BOAT. I previously had 300xs with dewalds... top speed in the coldest miami winter, perfect conditions, stock pcm 300xs motors was 115... I repowered with 400r... i tried over the hub dewalds, 18 degree rake, spinning in, 15 1/8 by 35 and the best I ran was 121, rpm at 6980. I called Randy and requested to try a set of his over the hub Hill props. He sent me 15 1/4 by 36. Props arrived last friday and i was in the water same day. Top speed on the boat was 125. I was able to run a larger diameter and 1 pitch larger at 7010 rpm. It appears then hill prop is running more efficient. Im on STOCK power, in the heart of miami summer, with high humidity.
    Im very satified with the boat and set up. 300xs , 300x are great motors... there is alot of fast 28s with that power. However, they are not stock by any means. A flash to 485 with the geico tune, in the winter, wth a lil more pitch and im in the 130 to 135 pluss club. At this point, i'm under warranty... the 28 is the most amazing boat ive ever had. Anyone who is thinking of converting to 400r its a no brainer. I do not run in rough seas... 1 to 3 at the most...

24. Likes NAVISPEED1 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast