User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    thowell327 Guest

Gear cable adjustment? Hopefully not bad clutch dog

Just bought a new to me eliminator daytona 22 with a 300xs on it. I was out on the lake yesterday testing props and getting a feel for the boat. It goes into gear in forward and reverse awesome no problems, what i noticed though is on heavy acceleration the gear shifter wants to pull towards neutral. It never popped out if gear or anything it just worried me because you can watch it fall a little bit and it becomes hard to push it back up all the way while under acceleration. Hopefully its a out of adjustment cable. This is from my rookie research im no merc mechanic. Hopefully someone has dealt with this. Thank you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They will often pull back when you let off the gas. A lot of guy will use a bungee to hold it forward if you don't have a locking shifter.

Joe

thowell327 Guest
    Thats interesting, if its normal than i wont worry about it. Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd install a locking shifter to make sure it stays in gear solid. At least that's what I did. First time i ran a 3 liter sporty my detente shifter came out of gear. Lowers are too expensive to mess around with. Installed the N Control locking shifter.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

thowell327 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerNewb View Post
    I'd install a locking shifter to make sure it stays in gear solid. At least that's what I did. First time i ran a 3 liter sporty my detente shifter came out of gear. Lowers are too expensive to mess around with. Installed the N Control locking shifter.
    Did the eliminators come stock with the detente shifters? Its the offshore one that came in my last eliminator too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thowell327 View Post
    Did the eliminators come stock with the detente shifters? Its the offshore one that came in my last eliminator too.
    I have no idea. This is what i installed. https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1360...t-shifter.aspx Spring loaded pin that drops into the face plate. It's solid fit. The shifter I had prior looked identical, but it just had a ball bearing on a spring that sort of caught in a small hole. It wasn't a solid hold by any means. The new one is hinged side to side at the bottom and you have to pull the lever straight towards center of boat in order to pull the pin out of the hole then shift forward or back.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

thowell327 Guest
    Does anyone have experience adjusting the detent on these shifters? Its the offshore one that all the eliminators seem to have. A guy another thread said he had the exact problem and the marine shop adjusted the detent on the shfter and fixed it.