Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sure the price of service will far out weigh the depreciation of keeping a boat with 2 strokes. Not to mention the epa is closing in everyday on our sport and 2 strokes are an even easier target than pwcs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatic View Post
    Im sure the price of service will far out weigh the depreciation of keeping a boat with 2 strokes. Not to mention the epa is closing in everyday on our sport and 2 strokes are an even easier target than pwcs.
    Depreciation, what you think a useless center console with 3, 4 or more four stroke money pits hanging on the transom is gonna be worth on the used market in 5 or ten years?

I keep wondering who that customer is, and just don't see it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see these boats from Deerfield up along the intercoastal. We lived in Boca and the boats along the intercoastal are incredible. A fish boat and a play boat. Just like at Boca Bash the boats were incredible and extremely high dollar.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the EPA wake up and concentrate on CO2, 4 slugs will have to change, cat cons etc as they are very co2 dirty compared with e-tecs
    Perhaps sterndrives will become a cheaper alternative..lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    Depreciation, what you think a useless center console with 3, 4 or more four stroke money pits hanging on the transom is gonna be worth on the used market in 5 or ten years?

I keep wondering who that customer is, and just don't see it.
    Its tough to see the customer demand and who will want center consoles LOL... Are you blind? Go try to order a Nor Tech, an MTI, a Mystic, a Cigarette, Yellowfin, or a Contender and see just how long you have to wait.

I agree that its mind boggling how much money is out there and wonder where all of these people come from but if you leave the bay and run up and down the coast, go to the Bahamas, or attend a couple of poker runs, you will see that there is a massive group of people that want them as "comfortable performance boats, fishing/pleasure boats, and in many cases a 2nd or 3rd boat". This trend has been going on for 10 years and isn't slowing down. A large percentage of buyers at this level will not be affected by a slowing economy so don't hold your breath waiting to see them selling for peanuts.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    got a dock just past my pool in my back yard, at 18 scraped 65' shrimp boat hulls and painted in a day in key west at Steadmans Boatyard. shaft packings are a once a 5 yr. type of deal, talk about fuel, 4 at 20 gallons an hour,,, lets see ,,,that's 80 gallons an hour ,,, hmm I'm just not getting it. yes, it's fast but that's about all it's good for, he fishes the Kingfish circuit and may run from Jax as far as New Smyrna and back in a day, the 3 engine one held 1500 gallons of fuel or some such # and no place for the princess to pee. that is just stupid. but he has a seafood restaurant and can write off for advertisement, while the rest of us poor schlubs stand back and watch. I'll take the Hatteras and a queen size nap spot while he's literally running over the top of the fish to get to where ever, one dude won the tournament in a 15' aluminum boat with a pool umbrella at the end of the jetty.

make that 500 gallons of fuel and 1500.00 to fill it up, still bs
    Again Keith,

These guys are not on budget like we are. They are not bottom scrapers, they will not work on diesels themselves, and they don't care about fuel cost- so I am not expecting you to agree with it. I am just trying to help you understand it and why its all around us. These people want to get to their destination whether its the sandbar, island, fishing, whatever and then get back and put it away until next time.

Post up some pictures of your Hatt when you get it, I have always liked a classic sportfish.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Its tough to see the customer demand and who will want center consoles LOL... Are you blind? Go try to order a Nor Tech, an MTI, a Mystic, a Cigarette, Yellowfin, or a Contender and see just how long you have to wait.

I agree that its mind boggling how much money is out there and wonder where all of these people come from but if you leave the bay and run up and down the coast, go to the Bahamas, or attend a couple of poker runs, you will see that there is a massive group of people that want them as "comfortable performance boats, fishing/pleasure boats, and in many cases a 2nd or 3rd boat". This trend has been going on for 10 years and isn't slowing down. A large percentage of buyers at this level will not be affected by a slowing economy so don't hold your breath waiting to see them selling for peanuts.

Joe
    You missed the point by a mile. I'm talking about used center consoles with more than 2 engines. I don't see a market for them. The used boat buyer can't support the fuel and maintenance cost on 4 engine boats. Plus most are to big to be trailered adding in storage cost. I see that there's a new market, I don't see the appeal of a fishing boat with a transom so cluttered it can't be fished from, but the new market is real. I just don't see any used market for those boats down the road.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jim Smith , Garlington are both on the same street as the Porsche shop that I do work for. Even thru the BoBumba years, they were building those huge sport fishing boats. Which in turn supports the cottage industry of vendors up and down both sides of the street that support them. Now in the trump era ... employee parking lots are overflowing ... everywhere !

One of my best friends fell into the position of "VP of Production" @ Dakota boats. They built an infused 36' open fish. He called me over to look at some stainless parts he needed made. Half teasing, I asked: is this a cut down 39' Cig or a stretched 31' Jupiter ?? Both, he said. All these "new" CC boats will fall right in a Mistress mold .. LOL
    And there was a bunch of them springing up everywhere it seemed. I never really understood it. Like a lot of companys, they couldn't hold on thru the BoBumba years. Actually the owner bought the company from the bank for a song, ran it up the pole and had all intentions of bailing as soon as it looked good on paper.
    I believe the assets went to Kings Hwy Ft. Pierce .. and nobody it seemed was buying anything new, at least not in numbers that they were being produced. Not $150,000 boats anyways. Now we're up to $180,000+ outboard packages ..
    My dad could tell stories as a kid watching guys jump out of ten-story windows for a whole lot less ...
    I fished off of a few of them for a while. Lots of room, rough water isn't really rough. But then when it rains, you get ******* wet .. It don't take three motors to skip 4 baits behind ya .. but they do come in handy when your having a party on board for 20 of your closest friends ..
    And yes, they do have a place for the ladies to freshen up ..

I prefer to use the men's room. It duct's straight to EPA and CARB's main office buildings, that are full of non-elected, bureaucratic globalist leftards ..

9. Likes Capt.Insane-o, fiveeyes, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't miss your point. If there were used ones on the market right now, they would sell to the new buyer who doesn't want to wait and we haven't even talked about the next level of buyers looking to step up. No different then a used Doug Wright, Skater, STV, or Allison "a good used one sells instantly" because buyers don't want to wait and or couldn't afford a new one.

As for the used market not being able to afford the fuel, they just can't afford to use them as much (no different then its always been).

Just because you don't see the appeal, its obvious that the market does-they are considered "gentleman's performance, the women love them, and they can haul a bunch of people".

Will there be depreciation? Absolutely but that is the way it is with most toys "they are not purchased as an investment-rather a memory maker". Look at the hit new exotic car buyers take. Even Mercedes and BMW buyers take a major hit after after a year and 10,000 miles. Fortunately that is what gives guys like me a chance to own one eventually. Even if these things drop to half in 5 years, they will still be 3 to 5 hundred grand and there will be people grabbing them up. The boats that will be "cheap" are the off brand guys that are jumping in to compete and trying to grab the "uneducated- i don't want to wait" buyer in todays market. That is a dangerous path to me-no different then buying a knock off small boat (worth nothing when you want to sell it) but at least with outboards, you can pull the power and recover a good portion.

We just need to be thankful for the wealthy that bring these to production and keep our hobby moving. Without them, they system does not work.

Joe

11. Likes starviper10 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bar friend of mine just bought a quad 400r center consol for fishing. Says it will cruise at 75mph. When i asked why not buy a diesel sport fisher his response was simple. He said "i dont have 3 days to fish away from the family and company. If i can only get out there one or two saturdays a month we are running 100 miles out to the banks. 4 hours of driving 10-12 hours of fishing. If i had to buy anything less i would have never gotten into fishing". The fact is theese hi performance muli engine cc boats do open up a lot of opportunity to wealthy people who other wise wouldn't even fish..
    Last edited by madmatic; 07-30-2019 at 10:18 AM.

13. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Robert ballparked it on page two, but let's try again. And yes I know, ifin ya gotta ask, ya probably can't afford it.
    Chaz = Just curious ..

Good morning Mr. service writer. I'd like to drop my boat off for its 100 hr service. I'll be out of town for a few days. So let me write you a check in full now. And my wife will pick the boat up when it's done ... How much should I make the check out for ...?

You guys did such a great job on my 100 hr service. That I brought it back for its 300 hr service. Again I'm going out of town ... how much should I write the check for ... ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will they be worth something once out of w/tee like any 4stroke?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go, one out of my shop done by me. 100 hour service. $236.41 including labor..... how much 2 stroke oil and extra fuel do you burn in 100 hours? The cost of operation in the end is a wash for most, and for someone that's uses the boat alot, you come ahead.

Winterizing (which most do at the same time they do the yearly/100 hour service is about $25 more)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190731_134023.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	445828
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190731_133336.jpg  
    Last edited by RSWORDS; 07-31-2019 at 04:24 PM.

17. Thanks JPEROG thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatic View Post
    Not the newer 2 strokes, they are fully compliant. Better than four strokes, the Evinrude G2.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    Not the newer 2 strokes, they are fully compliant. Better than four strokes, the Evinrude G2.
    Not for long. Why you think everyone else has phased out DI 2 strokes?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast