Hi all,

I have a pair of 2011 200 optis, 1300 hours on them now, using for offshore fishing, trolling and idling while sitting over a wreck etc. Over the past two years I have cracked reeds 3 times. From what I understand these are steel reeds and they are getting chewed up by the motor and blown out the exhaust port. I am pretty sure I have another one cracked now, slight rough idle and will stall going into gear every once in a while.

I have just replaced the entire single reed cage thing each time but should I be doing something more to stop this from happening? My mechanic is good and I trust him (mercury master cert) and he says its best NOT to try and put a set of aftermarket CF or plastic reeds on and that I need to use the entire single reed cage from mercury each time one chips. (~300 bucks each time this has happened) He says just bolting on a reed that the seal will never get right, something like that.

Basically I am nervous one of these steel pieces is gong to trash my engines, I really need to stretch them to 2000 hours. He said its prob best to replace the entire set of all reeds on both motors, but that is a fortune!! is using a PRO XS reed an option (non steel)?

Can someone school me on reeds for these motors and what my best path to take is?

Thanks, picture of last chipped reed attached, I replaced this entire thing each time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-25 18.07.29 [800x600].jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	445314