Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro_rat View Post
    I doubt they're loosing any money. I'm sure it costs less to build a mid engine car than the separate engine/transmission/torque tube arrangement used in the C5-up Vettes...
    Same theory as front wheel drive, the whole drivetrain goes in in one lump.
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99fxst99 View Post
    Same theory as front wheel drive, the whole drivetrain goes in in one lump.
    and the rest of the parts don't cost any more to make regardless of the configuration!
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The current transaxle probably just needs a revised case to bolt directly to the engine and as Harley Earl (or whoever it was said) "parts left out cost no money and cause no warranty concerns!"
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the rest of the parts don't cost any more to make regardless of the configuration!
    Once they are tooled up, yes, that's correct.
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99fxst99 View Post
    Once they are tooled up, yes, that's correct.
    My argument is that it won't cost gm any more to tool up for a new mid engine corvette than for a rear engine version. by eliminating the torque tube chassis design the new model may well be less expensive to produce thus helping to mitigate additional development costs.

i guess i'm trying to say that it isn't intrinsically more expensive to produce a mid engine car than a front engine rear drive car...
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My argument is that it won't cost gm any more to tool up for a new mid engine corvette than for a rear engine version. by eliminating the torque tube chassis design the new model may well be less expensive to produce thus helping to mitigate additional development costs.

i guess i'm trying to say that it isn't intrinsically more expensive to produce a mid engine car than a front engine rear drive car...
    I'm not saying they are losing money. There just can't be much of a profit there. Then again this car and ones like it aren't profit machines for large car manufacturers. They get people in the door of the dealership even if the person isn't buying one. Plus it's prestige.

Not like Ford makes money on the GT or that I will ever own one but I am glad they built/build them. When it come to the race track I'm partial to Ford but on the street, I like them all.
    Last edited by CDave; 07-20-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think they build enough vettes that they're above breaking even. I also think it's about time that gm builds something relevant. nothing they're making now makes me want to one. a mid engine supercar for less than the price of a new suburban is an interesting concept!
    Josh Peterson

8. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look, except for the large front overhang. All the high end sports cars have a lot of front overhang, so it's probably needed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a beautiful machine there is no arguing that. I am a bit sad to see the end of front engine but really what else could they do but switch to mid? GM has been flirting with mid engine vettes since the 80’s with the corvette Indy concept and most of the people who are in the market for a high performance car like this will likely prefer the mid engine vs the traditionalists who were basically demanding the vette stay front engine out of respect to the legacy.

My only critiques are it borrows too many styling cues from the c7 which is a total shame because they have so many incredibly beautiful Models to draw inspiration from while still upholding the brand at top standards so I think the styling could be more impressive. My second gripe is connected to the first in that it looks too much like other manufacturers out there and certainly looks closer to a Ferrari than ever before. It’s a bit hard to say that is not also impressive but aesthetically speaking there was a LOT of youthful imaginations to capture here with this mid engine move on the styling front if they had more courage and more $ effort into the design. Sadly this car will kind of blend in with others on market in a follow sense, not a lead sense.

When we we look at the Dodge Viper launch which is still a fugly car imo they’re is no mistaking a viper from anything else out there so dodge got that part right. I’d venture to say if you parked this car and one of the many look alike Ferrari’s side by side and randomly asked a thousand five year olds what it was they would have a hard time with it.

Id prefer it to be Vette 100% and totally leading in style and originality. Hard ask perhaps but it’s really the only thing I can think of where there are market and branding gains to be had. Probably later versions once they get the chassis and performance at truly dominant levels which I’m sure they will. Chevy boys get that part done verrrry well
    Last edited by LakeFever; 07-21-2019 at 06:39 AM.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicest best Corvette ever made in history! The Mustang and the Corvette were always supposed to be a mid engine car and now 55-60 years later they finally made it. Far superior in every way than anything else before it. Targa top mid engine v8 oh boy my new dream car LOVE IT sooooo sexy!!

12. Likes mjw930 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's the engine development succession plan for the platform. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-but-no-manual

I don't think much of this would have been possible in the old front engine design. This is just a starting point in 2020.
    The current model has a 2.8 sec 0-60 performance. IMO too quick for a manual trans to keep up with the power delivery.
    Last edited by XstreamVking; 07-21-2019 at 10:16 AM.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Here's the engine development succession plan for the platform. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-but-no-manual

I don't think much of this would have been possible in the old front engine design. This is just a starting point in 2020.
    The current model has a 2.8 sec 0-60 performance. IMO too quick for a manual trans to keep up with the power delivery.
    "much higher Redline" for the new 5.5L which is going to mean OHC which imo means MERCURY designed LS head development has a huge hand in this. GM still holds all the patents for the QUAD4 Olds OHC 4 cyl from the 80's. Very advanced tech for its time. Olds was always a leader in valvetrain and iirc the first OHV V8 was an Olds. GM is going to do some amazing things with this platform and really as we see the future developing right before our eyes I truly hope their eyes are on the prize here which is LEGACY. ICE legacy as well as historic design accomplishments. It would be amazing to watch GM develop new ICE engines that set all time records and as mentioned above some REAL good quality ARTIST designed bodies. Not to be confused with wheat grass swilling lefty leaning artists, im talking ZZTOP liberty loving creative geniuses to bring the whole package back home, with an exclamation mark. The kind of jaw dropping beauty that even the wheat grass swilling lefty wing nuts will also admire the sheer beauty of the Corvettes to come.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love the flat crank sound. Ford has been playing with it for a while. These stangs are no joke....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UR63hQ39PY

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah flat crank is interesting for high RPM. Cars be screaming but hopefully not flying
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reportedly no manual transmission option though. I guess the other modern supercar manufacturers are going that way too...
    Josh Peterson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast