Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Octane and lubricant question for drag engine

I have a 300 drag with horn intake set up i have a set of 20cc heads i want to run is 110 octane enough or do i need to run higher octane. Also what is the best engine lubricant or oil to run in my engine. Thanks Frank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re planning to race they usually have a fuel requirement.

I would probably start with c16 or q16reg (q is oxidized with mtbe and will tune different) since 20 sounds pretty tight.

if if you have the psi it will help a little.

If if you have no fuel required. Then you can run anything that won’t knock.

Look for fuels around or under .75 to water or between 5.5-6.5 I forget this one some list it specific gravity maybe. Lower numbers for the higher the rpm you plan to turn as they relate to burn rate.

Be be wary of strange numbers for mon and Ron like 85mon and <120Ron in the same fuel. It’s not bad per say. Their just useing the highest avable number to make aki higher.

As for oil oil that’s a can of worms.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    110 race fuel is plenty to support 20 CC on your drag , I suggest , use and have been pleased as my customers with Red Line Racing 2 cycle lubes ...

Jay @ JSRE

Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Jay said. Redline is great. I also like Klotz R50
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help guys i was going to a hot boat event and wanted to hop it up just a bit but safely. And give those stv and hot boats a run in the 800 to 1000ft Range. With my kevlar LTV Laser. So i am not really going to any santioned race . just going to have some good hard fun making some good passes . seeing i have worked hard all year on everyone elses boat. I thought its time to take mind out for spin around the lake with this new motor. My biggest concern was what octane it took to support the 20cc heads because all i have near by me is the 110 octane but i could have gone done state and get up to 120 in drums if would have needed. But from the sound of it 110 will get it done thanks for the oil suggestions also they both sound like excellent choices to me. Once again thanks for your help guy! Buy the way does any one have an extra life line life jacket for sale in large i am in need of one. I would feel a little safer the boats all ready going to be a hand full !!! Thank Frank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to add heres my number if someone has that large jacket text me and ill call you back 810-308-0909 Frank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Lifeline and just get a new one. They are super easy to work with, and the cost of a new jacket won’t be any more than what we pay for a prop.

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok i will give them a call and see whats available . thanks mach351

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post

I would probably start with c16 or q16reg (q is oxidized with mtbe and will tune different) since 20 sounds pretty tight.

Look for fuels around or under .75 to water or between 5.5-6.5 I forget this one some list it specific gravity maybe. Lower numbers for the higher the rpm you plan to turn as they relate to burn rate.

Be be wary of strange numbers for mon and Ron like 85mon and <120Ron in the same fuel. It’s not bad per say. Their just useing the highest avable number to make aki higher.

You should never use q16 unless you have a personal death wish it's guaranteed cancer in a can highly caustic most flush immediately after don't get on your hands and don't breathe it I've no numerous people around it my entire life and they're all dead unfortunately

10. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post

Q16 is corrosive ,so flush after use.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    d Always remember you can easily OVER OCTANE a 2 stroke engine and kill the power most racing outboards have a 1”.500” opportunity to contain the “ push” combustion creates , the higher the octane the slower the burn rate if the piston speed @ 120 times a second at 10,000 rpms the burn will escape out the exhaust port killing the power , most 2 strokes make maximum power 1 point above detonation ....As long as you support the known compression with enough octane not to detonate is the best power your motor will make , each point higher than that will actually hurt power , lessons learned racing these things 25 years ...

Jay @ Jay Smith Racing Engines

Last edited by Jay Smith; 07-18-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Jay @ JSRE

13. Thanks RSWORDS thanked for this post
    Likes RSWORDS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow i am in shock about that q16 being that toxic and corrosive i think that sounds like a good plan to stay clear of that fuel. Well theres been a change of plans i cant get my new life jacket for a couple weeks there backed up there filling 30 order a day custom built jackets . i think i just going to stay with the 26cc factory heads for now and i think Jay you said 100 octane is sufficient for them . i will deal with the 20cc at the end of the season maybe the last hotboat events and have more time to dial them in so i dont have any mishaps i know one thing these motor are very exspencive i dont need that . i appreciate all the in put from you guys you guy are very well educated in the racing industry. I my self have been boating for fourty years so i am not a newby . but this is my first 300 drag and of coarse i want to get every thing out of it i spared no cost but at the same time i dont want a pile of scrap at the end of the day . then it gets very painful all you guy know thats been there !!! So to every buddy cheers to hi performance boating and have a great safe summer Hollywood 120

15. Likes timmc6, Capt.Insane-o, delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most do, q has lead and stuff in it qxxreg is a touch better no lead ect still death in a can.

Jay have ave you had any issues with companies claiming faster burns for their higher aki fuels. Iirc Sunoco claims their 93 is faster then their 87 along with similar density spec gravity mixes.

Ive only raced in provided/ approved fuels and don’t really experiment much

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I build lots of rope race motors that allow any fuel , my high points champion and winner of the Firebird ME class guy Gary Henning runs a blend of 110 and super unleaded motor turns over 10,000 19 cc heads and at last freshing up motor had 362 quarter mile passes with no detonated motor parts !!! Red Line lubes at 32:1 Wizard pistons and TDR reed valves ....

Jay @ JSRE
    Jay @ JSRE

18. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think Q16 is on the level propylene oxide is as a carcinogen. I wouldn’t go purposely inhaling it but I’m not scared of it either. The oxygenate they use in it is the same thing used in pump gas. It’s really too much octane for 20 cc heads and requires extra tuning to adapt to the added oxygen level. 110 is plenty of octane for 20 cc heads
    Last edited by patchesII; 07-19-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    Erik Kiser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast