Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Italian Tower Of Power Lover

Hi American friends. I'm Frank and I think I'm one of the few lovers of Tower of Power in Italy.
    I'm 40 years old and it all started when I was a child ... On the endless beaches of Puglia in the south of Italy, I saw these engines speeding across the sea ...
    More than anything ... SCREAMING! I fell in love with them and I decided that sooner or later one of them would be mine. This is pure love. Pure feeling.
    Today in 2019, after all these years, I bought a 115 hp - 1986. The power trim unit and the propeller are missing. I'd like to put it on a Boston Whaler Outrage.
    I haven't turned it on yet, but I don't want to do it before I changed the water pump impeller and lower unit oil.
    Any advice and PM are welcome! You are nautical monsters!

P.S. i've a Mercury SuperAmerica (Merc500) on other boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Scream and Fly from the good ol US of A.

My first motor was a 1979 1150. Hell of a motor. A little bit of a S.O.B. to start when it sat for a few days or more, but it always started. After it was warm it was just a tap of the starter and away we went.

Yes, a water pump impeller at the minimum, I would go with entire pump but do not know parts availability for you. I would at least take it apart and have a look to see if your pump or plates are true/flat. And, I am not sure about your lower unit, but mine needed a kit to align the water feed tube to where it met up inside the mid. Forget exactly what that was, but lower unit would not go back on without it.

Other ideas would be carb rebuild/refresh. New fuel lines, new reeds. And on my 1978 I had a distributor that I would remove every year and clean the contact points. I did this with a rag and some aluminum polish to just remove corrosion and to not wear down the contact points. I used to get a lot of compliments about how well my motor ran.

Good luck, you found the right place for outboard motor enthusiasts!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard! Congratulations on getting your mercury, those towers not only run great but they sound great too. Any questions you have when you go through and check out the motor just ask here, I'd say we have a few mercury guys on this site....
    Good luck
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions, even though I spent a night translating Reeds into Italian

Quote Originally Posted by SS Minnow View Post
    Welcome to Scream and Fly from the good ol US of A.

My first motor was a 1979 1150. Hell of a motor. A little bit of a S.O.B. to start when it sat for a few days or more, but it always started. After it was warm it was just a tap of the starter and away we went.

Yes, a water pump impeller at the minimum, I would go with entire pump but do not know parts availability for you. I would at least take it apart and have a look to see if your pump or plates are true/flat. And, I am not sure about your lower unit, but mine needed a kit to align the water feed tube to where it met up inside the mid. Forget exactly what that was, but lower unit would not go back on without it.

Other ideas would be carb rebuild/refresh. New fuel lines, new reeds. And on my 1978 I had a distributor that I would remove every year and clean the contact points. I did this with a rag and some aluminum polish to just remove corrosion and to not wear down the contact points. I used to get a lot of compliments about how well my motor ran.

Good luck, you found the right place for outboard motor enthusiasts!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Welcome aboard! Congratulations on getting your mercury, those towers not only run great but they sound great too. Any questions you have when you go through and check out the motor just ask here, I'd say we have a few mercury guys on this site....
    Good luck