Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
    Some do have cables to adjust... and if "plug and play" they have a computer to set up.

When a consumer shoves crap fuel, rigs it low or high, props it wrong, doesn't get the proper harnesses on ot, ect ect and they bring it in for warranty and get pissed when the OEM says no, you f'ed it up. It's bad. And merc is SUPER good on warrenty....

I speak first hand, we have a semi local dealer that's was famous for selling motors in a box, Yamaha pulled there dealership for it and mercury got damn close to doing the same.

A year ago I had a customer bring a boat in with a new motor he bought in the box from.that dealer the "was a piece of **** and wouldn't run right" his tank was full of water because it had a hole rotted in the top of it...

Merc replaced his FMS and injectors under warranty.... dont need someone bitching and leaving bad reviews....

We all paid for that
    All those issues are as old as the box motor. None of which are any more likely to happen to the average Joe than the average marina. The guys I see doing repower at marina's are the low men on the totem pole. The experienced techs aren't in the bilge with 5200 up to there elbows. Without cables, and oil hoses. These are only getting easier to install. If you can assemble IKEA furniture you can repower your boat. This is not rocket science here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    All those issues are as old as the box motor. None of which are any more likely to happen to the average Joe than the average marina. The guys I see doing repower at marina's are the low men on the totem pole. The experienced techs aren't in the bilge with 5200 up to there elbows. Without cables, and oil hoses. These are only getting easier to install. If you can assemble IKEA furniture you can repower your boat. This is not rocket science here.
    Yep but when the tech signs off that he did all the things he should do he is saying it's right.

I'm looking for a new install tech. Come on over. I bet you cant get the first "cableless" motor working properly without a tech showing you.

My lower level guys dont do installs alone or without a check by me after.

I'm one of the owners and do all the multi and DTS, joystick, ect installs and my share of all installs. Maybe we just take more pride in the product we put out.
    Last edited by RSWORDS; 07-13-2019 at 05:15 PM.

3. Thanks HydroSkreamin thanked for this post
    Likes HydroSkreamin, bearclaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet you do. I also think you short changing " average Joe". That or your giving yourself more credit than you deserve.

The day I can't rig and install my own l outboard.... nah can't even picture it. Unless they require a proprietary laptop or programming. In which case they can keep that ****.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet you do. I also think you short changing " average Joe". That or your giving yourself more credit than you deserve.

The day I can't rig and install my own l outboard.... nah can't even picture it. Unless they require a proprietary laptop or programming. In which case they can keep that ****.
    I'm not selling any average Joe short. Someone that can competently work on their outboard isn't the average Joe boater... 99% of this site is well above the average joe boater. I bet 2 or 3 out of 10 seatrials I do after a repower the customer doesn't know how to use the trim, cant dock the boat, or they want to run around half on plane. I'm not exaggerating... alot of your average boaters are pretty clueless when it comes to basic mechanical and boat operation. These aren't new boaters.... these are people that bring us there boats to repower.

You want that guy installing a $20,000 engine, choosing the proper prop, making sure the rest of the boat is up to par and have a company stand behind it?

I'm sure just about everyone on this site is capable of installing a new outboard properly but again. Most on here are well above average

The DTS do need a laptop to setup everything. How many engines, location, control type, rotation, WOT, idle ext. But if you haven't been trained to do it you'd have a hard time figuring it out and I wouldnt blame ya
    Last edited by RSWORDS; 07-13-2019 at 05:19 PM.

6. Likes MattGreen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the exact people you describe. I just have a hard time believing those people are taking on a repower. When I think average Joe who buys a box motor and rigs it himself will be up to the task. I think the minority would be those described above. I refer to them as NBMFs . They'll be here in droves soon for mini season.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the exact people you describe. I just have a hard time believing those people are taking on a repower. When I think average Joe who buys a box motor and rigs it himself will be up to the task. I think the minority would be those described above. I refer to them as NBMFs . They'll be here in droves soon for mini season.
    Well that's your "average" Joe boater.

We forget, or at least I do, that we are a different breed, my friends are all experienced boaters that I would trust, I have many customers that I would trust. But, who's gonna make that call?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hee Hee....... Just Dave.... The peeps I have bang a old socket on the battery...cable.....Just cause they are......to cheep to buy a clamp.......dammm stupid........I will send ya some custommers.... If ya like.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6010.... stupid posts........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDMAN View Post
    I order these motors way ahead of time. The 7 300R's I got this week were ordered 5-6 months ago. If you wait to order when someone wants one, you will never get one. You just gotta bite the bullet and pre-order. I ordered seven 450's the day they came out. I certainly don't need them now, but the sooner I order, the sooner I get them and I will have them to use or sell. As far as the 450 I just got, I think alot of it was due to all the testing and reviews I did on the 300R I got. Mercury likes positive reviews and the motor definitely deserves it. I will always post it, good or bad. They probably wish I would use Mercury props in my testing, but guess what! They never have offered anything to me. Hill Propellers offered me props to test and they work. If they didn't wotk, I assured them that I would post that too.

The 7 300R's you got this week, 1.75's or 1.60's?
    Just curious if the 1.60 ratio motors are out yet. I have a new bullet bass boat waiting on a 1.60. I had them change the 1.75 to 1.60 as soon as the announcement was made.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The twins were 1.60. All the singles are 1.75. I run them on all my Liberators at 112-113. I don't know why you need 1.60's when the 1.75's just require 2 more inches of pitch. Steve Bishops 20ft Bullet ran 111 with 1.75's and a 34" 5 blade cleaver.
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com
    Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

Visit My Liberator Boats Website

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Theoretically the 1.6 gearset is stronger than 1.75 and a 32 pitch prop is more efficient than a 34...

Theory doesn't always align with practice and I can't afford to practice on this one. Sounds like the 1.75 is getting it done!!!
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 1.60 gears have been 3 to 4 mph faster in extensive testing. We are just getting started with this stuff and soon you will be twisting 1.60s at 6800 (now how fast are you really wanting to go?). Like the old saying goes, its all fun until....

Joe

15. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly either is going to be fast enough for me on top end. I switched to the 1.60 to bring down the prop pitch. I am getting the 21"10" XRS Bullet. Opens up more used props for a fishing prop or just to try different props. I am more concerned about holeshot and mid-range. Maybe sticking to the 1.75 would be better for that. I wish someone with extensive testing could help me with that info. I still have time to change my motor order on the gear ratio. What do you think about my main concern?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was a thread on changing props and final ratios on here a while back. Seems it hinged on the top speed of the rig. Faster the boat, the more it liked the 1.62's. Was slower out of the hole more than likely.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnfoister View Post
    Honestly either is going to be fast enough for me on top end. I switched to the 1.60 to bring down the prop pitch. I am getting the 21"10" XRS Bullet. Opens up more used props for a fishing prop or just to try different props. I am more concerned about holeshot and mid-range. Maybe sticking to the 1.75 would be better for that. I wish someone with extensive testing could help me with that info. I still have time to change my motor order on the gear ratio. What do you think about my main concern?
    Mercury Racing Blog featuring a Bullet XRS with 300R power:

https://www.mercuryracing.com/expand...ler-offerings/
    2003 Triad RR 280 ROS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast