User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    2,243
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    106
    Likes (Given)
    1365
    Likes (Received)
    1163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Jacos no longer posting engine prices?

    .



    It seems that Jacos is no longer publicizing engine prices on their website?





    .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    770
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    42
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably because a lot dealers are not happy with what is going on.

    Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/300xs
    Over-Kill



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    2,243
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    106
    Likes (Given)
    1365
    Likes (Received)
    1163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ agreed




    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ft Myers, FL
    Posts
    1,513
    Thanks (Given)
    28
    Thanks (Received)
    79
    Likes (Given)
    485
    Likes (Received)
    477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably due to people getting too much sticker shock when they read how much these new four strokes are
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

  5. Likes XstreamVking, 22R, JBS liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    351
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
    Probably because a lot dealers are not happy with what is going on.
    Why would they not be happy it’s free market if they want to make less and sell more. Jaco is only place I buy mercury prop new from.
    #skaternation
    21 rally sport (sold)
    21 Cougar (sold)
    21 Skater (sold)
    24 skater (sold)
    21 Armstrong (fishing deck) 250 etec
    24 SEB (soon to be laid up)

  7. Likes SCT, noli liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    770
    Thanks (Given)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    42
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Risco View Post
    Why would they not be happy it’s free market if they want to make less and sell more. Jaco is only place I buy mercury prop new from.
    As someone who is the marine business there are parameters that Mercury has in place that allow their dealers in certain areas to make money and sell products. Problem is for them is that Internet Sales, OEM all sell motors to people that are not supposed to have access to them. Smaller dealers do not have the same discount as the OEM or larger volume dealers like JACO. However when you motor breaks and you need the local dealer they loose money doing warranty work. I agree on the pricing deals but also feel for the guys that are responsible for supporting Mecury's products on the street. In end for the manufactures is it is all about moving product to them.

    Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/300xs
    Over-Kill



  9. Thanks oldschoolltv thanked for this post
    Likes Davidlake, noli liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    gatineau qc, canada
    Posts
    239
    Thanks (Given)
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a simple email or phone call will answer this question...so i dont see how it would benefit the smaller dealers having the bigger ones not posting prices on their websites. its just less convienent for the average joe who wants to know, but a serious buyer will still be reffered to jacos or whoever has the best prices after a simple post here or a google search..
    1998 charger stv 225 promax. -sold-

    1993 22 talon mercury 250xs


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    351
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
    As someone who is the marine business there are parameters that Mercury has in place that allow their dealers in certain areas to make money and sell products. Problem is for them is that Internet Sales, OEM all sell motors to people that are not supposed to have access to them. Smaller dealers do not have the same discount as the OEM or larger volume dealers like JACO. However when you motor breaks and you need the local dealer they loose money doing warranty work. I agree on the pricing deals but also feel for the guys that are responsible for supporting Mecury's products on the street. In end for the manufactures is it is all about moving product to them.
    I understand it. What gets me is almost everything you go to buy car, truck, motorcycle,sxs the prices
    Are pretty uniform from dealer to dealers but when comes to marine stuff it’s all over the places some mark up are just unbelievable. In the end it’s amazon phenomenon were companies have to use amazon to sell there goods and if amazon sees they sell a lot of whatever they will go to distributor and buy millions and under cut there prices. With age of internet small places won’t really last. This coming for a guy who try’s not to use amazon.
    #skaternation
    21 rally sport (sold)
    21 Cougar (sold)
    21 Skater (sold)
    24 skater (sold)
    21 Armstrong (fishing deck) 250 etec
    24 SEB (soon to be laid up)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    keys
    Posts
    308
    Thanks (Given)
    12
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Given)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
    As someone who is the marine business there are parameters that Mercury has in place that allow their dealers in certain areas to make money and sell products. Problem is for them is that Internet Sales, OEM all sell motors to people that are not supposed to have access to them. Smaller dealers do not have the same discount as the OEM or larger volume dealers like JACO. However when you motor breaks and you need the local dealer they loose money doing warranty work. I agree on the pricing deals but also feel for the guys that are responsible for supporting Mecury's products on the street. In end for the manufactures is it is all about moving product to them.
    I'm confused, how does a dealer lose money on warranty work? It's been years, many years, but the marina I worked for, merc warranty was the bread and butter of the service work.

  13. Thanks 22R thanked for this post
    Likes Rigaud, David - WI, JBS liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL.
    Posts
    3,932
    Thanks (Given)
    152
    Thanks (Received)
    286
    Likes (Given)
    680
    Likes (Received)
    2584
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The internet has changed our world. There is no turning back and the only sales that take place "in store" are emotional decisions and or need it now. If you don't need it today, then why would you not just have it delivered to your door within the next two days? The next generation is already thinking ahead and don't seem to be in a rush for anything, don't want to deal with people face to face, and are very comfortable with buying from a picture, using return labels and staying behind their keyboards. The brick and mortar locations can not compete with a warehouse or drop shipping for overhead. Like Ron stated above, the consumers are going to force customer service out of the picture as we continue to loose servicing dealers and servicing locations by not supporting them.

    Mercury is now a massive corporation and no longer are the days of Carl and his crew giving personalized support to the little guys that market and service their product. You are either big enough to be in the game and afford to stock the product for a sale or you are just like everyone else on line "we can order it".

    Joe

  15. Likes HydroSkreamin, JBS liked this post
  16. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,944
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    550
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5954
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    I'm confused, how does a dealer lose money on warranty work? It's been years, many years, but the marina I worked for, merc warranty was the bread and butter of the service work.
    True. Its a misnomer that dealers loose money on outboard warranty. The outboard warranty hourly labor rate is excellent. This goes for all brands. This information originates from dealership service & sales departments that are there to upsell. Been going on for decades. There was actually a time, when the warranty labor rates were not generous, but that changed 20 plus years ago. Back then, and this still applies today, the "factory labor allowance book" total hours alotted for a particular repair, is very often accomplished in less time, which helps the dealer and the mechanic financially. For a long time now, dealers very much welcome their brand outboard warranty work.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 07-12-2019 at 08:18 AM.

  17. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    keys
    Posts
    308
    Thanks (Given)
    12
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Given)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My memory is foggy but I seem to remember that it was floor plan, and actually selling enough motors every year to be able to keep the dealership and the warranty cash cow.

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    gatineau qc, canada
    Posts
    239
    Thanks (Given)
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we can argue what came first but customer service degraded alot and people now rather buy online at a better price and have no customer service at all to deal with. shure, when it breaks, alot will go to those shops the get it fixed but thats because its still the only option besides learning it yourself. im 32 years old..or young.. i've be "in this game" only since the last 8-9 years and i absolutely HATE going to the local dealer to get info or parts ordered. i actually do their job by brigning them the part number of whatever i need since they wont budge if i so not have my stupid serial number in hand even taugh my motor is pieced together...they seem to want it all or nothing, meaning they want the boat,motor, run their diagnostic, do the job and then charge you the big price for everything. shure, and thank god, some are better then other, i have my go to guy/shop if it gets complicated, but other then that im fine with online shopping
    1998 charger stv 225 promax. -sold-

    1993 22 talon mercury 250xs


  19. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,944
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    550
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5954
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mistah_max View Post
    we can argue what came first but customer service degraded alot and people now rather buy online at a better price and have no customer service at all to deal with. shure, when it breaks, alot will go to those shops the get it fixed but thats because its still the only option besides learning it yourself. im 32 years old..or young.. i've be "in this game" only since the last 8-9 years and i absolutely HATE going to the local dealer to get info or parts ordered. i actually do their job by brigning them the part number of whatever i need since they wont budge if i so not have my stupid serial number in hand even taugh my motor is pieced together...they seem to want it all or nothing, meaning they want the boat,motor, run their diagnostic, do the job and then charge you the big price for everything. shure, and thank god, some are better then other, i have my go to guy/shop if it gets complicated, but other then that im fine with online shopping
    How do you buy a new large Mercury outboard on the interweb, and rig it yourself, and have Mercury honor the warranty?

  20. Likes Whaaaaat liked this post
  21. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Daytona Fl.
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    149
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1604
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They posted cheap prices but I called a few weeks ago and they had only gotten about 10 300R's in the last year. You can post any cheap price you want, but if you can't get the motors, what good is it.
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

    Check out my new website. (IN PROGRESS) liberatorpowerboats.com



    Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

    Visit My Liberator and Checkmate Boats Website

    Rent our Log Cabin in Pigeon Forge, TN. http://www.vrbo.com/419205

  22. Likes Rigaud, Double Rigged, 22R liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tyson Foods To Hike Prices due to Feed Corn Prices???
    By HStream1 in forum The Scream And Fly Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM
  2. Jacos and de-tuned 225 promax
    By Fassster in forum Technical Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
  3. Jacos Marine
    By Dirk Pitt in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
  4. Mercury and Jacos setting records again....
    By JW in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-13-2002, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Diamond Marine