Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    how do you sell Verado over a v8?

Simple.... you sell the 400R for $30k and sell the 450R for DOUBLE..... as demonstrated he-uh, by Mercury.

It’s all a schwantz swinging contest with the 450R. A half dozen of them on a Cigarette CC and it runs 82mph. BFD. For the MSRP of that half dozen motors, you could buy the “Low Altitude” turbine cat, run 200mph, and do it in air-conditioned comfort.
    Last edited by Spdrcr29; 06-19-2019 at 08:36 PM.

2. Thanks engineermike thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spdrcr29 View Post
    Simple.... you sell the 400R for $30k and sell the 450R for DOUBLE..... as demonstrated he-uh, by Mercury.

It’s all a schwantz swinging contest with the 450R. A half dozen of them on a Cigarette CC and it runs 82mph. BFD. For the MSRP of that half dozen motors, you could buy the “Low Altitude” turbine cat, run 200mph, and do it in air-conditioned comfort.
    Seriously! Your nearing the half million mark in just engines and rigging with 6 dk beaters out back. The cost is ridiculous.

450R = 60k ... x6 engines = 2700hp ...360k in just engines.
    400R = 30k ...x7 engines = 2800hp ...210k in just engines.

No brainer. We need a wider boat to fit 7 engines haha. I think 140k to spare on motors would be a good price in extra vessel footage/girth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least currently, the 350 and 400’s fall between the 300 and 450 v8’s in both power and price. I gotta say...I’d still buy a 400r over a 450 for the simple fact that it’s just over half price and the same weight. In all honesty, I suspect merc will phase out the L6 in favor of v8’s; I just don’t know when.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple $$$$$$$$$$$
    Not everyone can afford or justify the price tag.

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
    Simple $$$$$$$$$$$
    Not everyone can afford or justify the price tag.
    What was is the price difference between all the 300's that Merc have sold, now down to a choice of 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting for the customer a twin rig might cost less than the same boat rigged for a single?
    Have we ever been there before?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting for the customer a twin rig might cost less than the same boat rigged for a single?
    Yes, I can think of a few examples. Yamaha 425, anything from 7marine, 260/280, etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s no “might” about it. On a 24 - 26’ cat where a single 450 may get you decent performance the same boat can be rigged with dual 300’s for $10k less and probably run 20 mph faster. The tougher decision would be on a cat in the 28-32’ range. A pair of 300’s push that size boat quite well but a pair of 450’s would be stupid fast.
    Mark

10. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    There’s no “might” about it. On a 24 - 26’ cat where a single 450 may get you decent performance the same boat can be rigged with dual 300’s for $10k less and probably run 20 mph faster. The tougher decision would be on a cat in the 28-32’ range. A pair of 300’s push that size boat quite well but a pair of 450’s would be stupid fast.
    Makes we wonder where this game will end....
    Lighter and fuel efficient due to technology has been passed over for we dont care how heavy just want big HP?

12. Likes Whaaaaat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes we wonder where this game will end....
    Lighter and fuel efficient due to technology has been passed over for we dont care how heavy just want big HP?
    I don't agree, show me any motor package, be it I/O or Outboard that delivers 450HP with a heavy duty drive for under 700 lbs, it doesn't exist. The 300's deliver a similar power to weight profile and both get excellent fuel economy.

I'm new to the outboard game so I don't have the experience with the sub 400 lb race motors of the past. What's been available from the marketplace in the 300HP range for the last 15+ years has weighed in the 500 - 550 lb range. Each iteration has improved efficiency from the X to the XS and now to the R. What's even better, IMHO is the "drivability" of the latest 4 stroke motors. They run on 87 octane gas, start at the flip of a switch, idle comfortably at 600 rpm, can be shifted without shutting the motor down, can carry a 5 year factory warranty and probably won't need rebuilds or lower drive repairs every off season. Quite honestly I don't understand all the hatred out there for these new motor packages.

I will agree that the prices have gotten out of hand but that's with all manufacturers. Go price an equivalent Evinrude 300 G2 or a Yamaha SHO, they are all stupid money. The Yamaha 425 and the Merc 450R take that to new heights.
    Last edited by mjw930; 06-21-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    Mark

14. Thanks engineermike, JPEROG thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree, show me any motor package, be it I/O or Outboard that delivers 450HP with a heavy duty drive for under 700 lbs, it doesn't exist. The 300's deliver a similar power to weight profile and both get excellent fuel economy.

I'm new to the outboard game so I don't have the experience with the sub 400 lb race motors of the past. What's been available from the marketplace in the 300HP range for the last 15+ years has weighed in the 500 - 500 lb range. Each iteration has improved efficiency from the X to the XS and now to the R. What's even better, IMHO is the "drivability" of the latest 4 stroke motors. They run on 87 octane gas, start at the flip of a switch, idle comfortably at 600 rpm, can be shifted without shutting the motor down, can carry a 5 year factory warranty and probably won't need rebuilds or lower drive repairs every off season. Quite honestly I don't understand all the hatred out there for these new motor packages.

I will agree that the prices have gotten out of hand but that's with all manufacturers. Go price an equivalent Evinrude 300 G2 or a Yamaha SHO, they are all stupid money. The Yamaha 425 and the Merc 450R take that to new heights.
    Sure great product and I am glad it exists but its just evolution and not revolution.
    EFI engines should behave and in the last few years the outboard builders have spent some engineering dollar on NVH.
    Is it a wow product or just what we expected?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure great product and I am glad it exists but its just evolution and not revolution.
    EFI engines should behave and in the last few years the outboard builders have spent some engineering dollar on NVH.
    Is it a wow product or just what we expected?
    Compared to what to other manufacturers put out there, it is definitely a wow product.

While similar designs have been seen on high-end automobiles, it is certainly a first for outboards.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Compared to what to other manufacturers put out there, it is definitely a wow product.

While similar designs have been seen on high-end automobiles, it is certainly a first for outboards.
    I think the new BRP 150 with "rave" valves is a wow product, first time we have seen that on an outboard
    a blower on a v8, yep thats new to boating....
    Still shifting gears in the lower...that technology cant last much longer...
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-20-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The average guy shouldn't even consider putting these on a cat less then 32 and some of the 32s are going to be questionable when you take the additional weight that is set back off the transom (Vs 300R) coupled with the additional speed "that happens very very very quickly". There will be a couple of 30' skaters with them but they are both extremely experienced owners. As I have stated many times before-the speeds that we will now see with 5000 lb boats have only been achieved by 9000 + lb. boats in the past and they are different animals to tame. 130+ in a light cat leaves little room for error and no room for stupid "drinking etc.".

Joe

19. Thanks HydroSkreamin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the new BRP 150 with "rave" valves is a wow product, first time we have seen that on an outboard
    a blower on a v8, yep thats new to boating....
    Still shifting gears in the lower...that technology cant last much longer...
    It will be a WOW product when you get done running it hard in offshore conditions and back on the trailer "Wow look at all of this stuff that broke". I do agree that the brp 2 strokes make great power "E-tecs, sea-doo, motors, the 850 twin snowmobile motor, but the new 4 stroke stuff still has them covered in every category besides weight IMO".

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast