Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To funny not to share

I'll preface this by saying if you cant laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at anything. That being said, I am in the process of swapping motors because I got mine hot the other day. I
    was bummed out but luckily I had another one that came on my Mirage when I bought it. I'm going through the processes to check it out because to the beast of my knowledge it was running but just turned off about 4 years ago and didn't know anything more. I lubed the cylinders, I checked the spark. I rigged some fuel to it to lube the case and finally decided to just see if it would pop before I pulled the carbs and thermostats and so on. It wouldn't kick off on it's own so I sparingly used some either and it finally hit. After that I got some premix in a spray bottle but it still didn't want to run but would pop every now and then. I decided that I needed to be able to give it some throttle so with my solenoid jumper wire on the right and my throttle linkage on th left I was almost hugging the back of the motor. I spun it over, gave it a little throttle, and low and behold it hit. I was so excited because it hit that it didn't dawn on me why I had felt a little shock in my forearm. I immediately jumped it again but this time noticed the shock a little more. It started and at this point I'm happy it came to life after so many years but wondering why the block is giving me a tingle. That's when I step back and realize that I never connected the spark plug wires on the left side which turns out what was making it so hard to start. I started laughing partly at my own obliviousness and also because if the damn thing started on three cylinders, it should be great on all 6. Went over it once more, buttoned up all the loose ends (aka plug wires) and gave it a go one more time. It popped off, idled smoothly, and was happy until it sucked the 10oz's of fuel that I had rigged dry. Ive had a crappy week and needed a laugh but the moral of the story is that you never know what will come along and make you feel better even if it's your own rookie mistake.
    92 Mirage Ski Racer
    86 Laser LTV Bass
    82 Hydrostream Vandal Comp
    ^(project that needs a new home)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens to the best of us once on a while no harm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol good stuff.

It gets all of us for sure. If I had a nickel for every time I put a powerhead on and forgot the shift shaft I’d be rich lol.

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

4. Likes RSWORDS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mach351 View Post
    Lol good stuff.

It gets all of us for sure. If I had a nickel for every time I put a powerhead on and forgot the shift shaft I’d be rich lol.
    Lol, first time I ever pulled and replaced a powerhead, I was pretty proud of myself and had already cracked open a beer to admire my work. Until I looked down and saw the shift shaft sitting on the floor. All you can do is laugh at some points.

That is a funny story. Hopefully the spare powerhead works out for you

6. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get'n that distributor in just right, helps too...

8. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Times!!!! Reminds me of my own blunders...........and ya just gotta laugh! If ya caint laff at yerself............yer wound too tite!!!

10. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ended up burning up a Starter my Shovelhead HD. Damn thing would NOT fire one spring, after winter. Found the problem.......some dumbass drained all the gas out before winter!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1896954_4001568735029_1191779717_n.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	442035

12. Likes Glasstream15, mrichartz, delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father in law once installed a new battery in my wife's car while I was out of town.

Car started fine, until it didn't.

Figured out he left the black and red plastic caps on the posts of the new battery... Must have cracked through them just enough to start it when he tested it...

And he used to be a mechanic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    .....ever wound the cable around the drum for string steering backwards.....?
    Makes for a rather surprising test ride...../;-o

15. Likes dtmeeks, Robby321 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just lately me. Thought dryer getting weak, or plugged vent hose. Took 3 hours a load to dry? Replaced hose, clean out, and STILL no good? Somehow selector washer was on.."Delicate, easy wash, slow spin"...........(wet as it got in wash, and to the dryer!)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many of us could write a book on these type things? Cars, boats, bikes, campers, the house? I don't even want to start with 77 years of disasters behind me.
    I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket.

1987 Glasstream 15V
    1986 Mariner "Tower of Power" 115

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15 View Post
    How many of us could write a book on these type things? Cars, boats, bikes, campers, the house? I don't even want to start with 77 years of disasters behind me.
    Only 69, but did way more .."that was stupid" than deserved.."so much education FAST"!

Think my worst about 15 years ago. In the shop messing with a 110 volt lawn mower motor Replaced the brushes, then plugged it in on the bench. Think here as I battery tested starter car motors, no problem. No vise. 12 volt...

So I plug it in, has a drive belt pulley for twin blades, wave washer in the center to sep the belts. Should really call that Razor/wave washer! SOB torqued off the bench, and hit my knee, and levis turn red fast, 911. Volunteer FF/Medics here in 5 minutes. The ER, all I can say I SURE got a nice white kneecap! Stitched me up like making a quilt! Moral of story ...USE THAT DAMN VISE!
    Last edited by Robby321; 06-19-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The no prop incident on the Mississippi

i no no longer by trolling motors under 100ft lbs

got real good at throwing a 15 lb anchor to reel myself back to the trailer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmeeks View Post
    I'll preface this by saying if you cant laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at anything. That being said, I am in the process of swapping motors because I got mine hot the other day. I
    was bummed out but luckily I had another one that came on my Mirage when I bought it. I'm going through the processes to check it out because to the beast of my knowledge it was running but just turned off about 4 years ago and didn't know anything more. I lubed the cylinders, I checked the spark. I rigged some fuel to it to lube the case and finally decided to just see if it would pop before I pulled the carbs and thermostats and so on. It wouldn't kick off on it's own so I sparingly used some either and it finally hit. After that I got some premix in a spray bottle but it still didn't want to run but would pop every now and then. I decided that I needed to be able to give it some throttle so with my solenoid jumper wire on the right and my throttle linkage on th left I was almost hugging the back of the motor. I spun it over, gave it a little throttle, and low and behold it hit. I was so excited because it hit that it didn't dawn on me why I had felt a little shock in my forearm. I immediately jumped it again but this time noticed the shock a little more. It started and at this point I'm happy it came to life after so many years but wondering why the block is giving me a tingle. That's when I step back and realize that I never connected the spark plug wires on the left side which turns out what was making it so hard to start. I started laughing partly at my own obliviousness and also because if the damn thing started on three cylinders, it should be great on all 6. Went over it once more, buttoned up all the loose ends (aka plug wires) and gave it a go one more time. It popped off, idled smoothly, and was happy until it sucked the 10oz's of fuel that I had rigged dry. Ive had a crappy week and needed a laugh but the moral of the story is that you never know what will come along and make you feel better even if it's your own rookie mistake.
    I did a service on one a couple months ago. Was running fine. Did a compression test, spark plugs, filters ect. Buttoned it up and ran it to check the oil. Wouldnt start.... after a couple of "what the hells" and trying to figure out what could have happened.... I plugged the fuel pump back in I disconnected for the compression check and all was good. 12 hour days will get to you and we all do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast