Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stern lift prop on a vee hull???

So I know I have seen some guys on here claiming it has worked for them, but I would like to call on everyone to drop there experiences with it right here. Did it work better on a heavier hull? did it work better on a hull without a pad? or was it just squirley as f**k? I've wanted to give one a whirl for awhile now but my dealer keeps talking me out of it when I test props. let me know what you know!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago I had a 23' CC offshore boat with a full transom pair of 2.4L Mercs on 18" barackets, counter rotating LU's. Boat was stern heavy with twins and also had transom live wells.

I put a set of Bennett trim tabs on to help lift the stern/push the bow down.

I tried numerous prop configurations and the best I found was a pair of counter rotating 4 blade cleavers over the hub props. I almost never needed the trim tabs to push the bow down running those. I did run them surfaced a little too.

Worked in my situation above. Gave me better hole shot and acceleration than all the other round ear props I tried 3 and 4 blade , and brought my WOT speed up to 66 loaded for fishing. IIRC they were 22 or 24 x 14.5

This was a V bottom boat.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

3. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the posts I did find seem to be along the same lines as your situation, heavier boat where the hull doesn't provide as much lift in the rear. I know cleavers are better suited to tunnel hulls and such but more so wondering what I can expect/ be weary of if I test a stern lifting prop. My hull doesn't have a pad or many full length lifting strakes so id like to get experimenty a little.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to know guys who ran cleavers on Hydrostreams

what is your boat, motor, setback, engine height, birthdate,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol boat is a 92 Seaswirl spyder 188, engine is an 05 evinrude 225ho, 14” setback (bobs action 6” and a 8” setback) not sure on prop shaft height in relation to the bottom (no pad, rounded vee) but given the fact that my spacers are bolted to provide the 2.5” height bump I’d say 3-4” bellow pad as a guess. Need to measure next time I’m home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current speed and rpm? Do you use much trim to get speed?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so motor is just coming out of break in mode on a new powerhead so ive only got the one quick run with fresh data (side note: I swapped to a 20" mid from the 25" last year right before the motor blew so engine height has not been extensively tested to minimize slip yet) currently 62mph @ 5800 on a 24p scorpion with motor jacked up as high as I can go while keeping water pressure. no real reason for running at that height other than curiosity. if I run the slip numbers on that pass I get 13%. with the current amount of setback the boat seems to run best with not a lot of positive trim and runs fairly decent with neutral trim in the 40-50mph range.

And in case you are wondering, I swapped to the 20" mid from the 25" because that length of leg was to long for that boat but the motor was a smokin deal at the time. I used to run jacked all the way up on the 25" and water pressure would never drop. CG was very high aswell with that setup.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me depends on hull, a lot of pre carb drop hulls benifit from a touch stern or neutral lift when a heavier then designed for. Many aluminum designs also benefit

My tracker falls into that catagory. The ‘05 had a xr6 150 option. My ‘06 they look the same, but drop max hp to 115 and merc dropped carbs and xr6 weight 150s. So until the redesign to the huge walk through from the bass boat look they lost the hp to get it up.

I was surprised when I tried one and lifted up on the rps strake not a strake pad not a pad

Dad says on a dead rise bow lift till only last foot to 6” is in water. But many won’t run that anymore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are buying, I'd start with used Rakers. You can find them on Ebay. If you are borrowing, sure try a cleaver. But I feel it's a long shot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive run rakers, raker II, worked rakers.... they did ok in my opinion. tried a lot of the go to's for bow lift. I finally settled on a 24p scorpion. local dealer has a very good lending program. guess ill just have to commit to testing one and see how she goes.