Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Those motors look HUGE!!! Even on that big boat. Mercury bring us a promax 225. 15 inch shaft equivalent!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    I guess I am lucky that they are already starting to grow on me. Nobody liked the alien cowls when they came out and we didn't get the performance increase that comes with this new look. Once you experience the sound and performance it will be much more acceptable to you.

Paul went 115 "almost by accident it happened so fast" he put the boat in for the first time with 4 people, 120 gallons of fuel, 31 psi of water pressure and the 1.75 gear. This was no attempt at a speed run what so ever and was far from the 6400 rpm mark.

The new motors are serious even in their detuned state of drinking 87 octane.--These rigs are the real deal and will be putting up some #s never seen by twin 300s.

Attachment 440286Attachment 440287

Joe
    I can't wait to see that boat in person. One day. Looks awesome.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    ^ Those motors look HUGE!!! Even on that big boat. Mercury bring us a promax 225. 15 inch shaft equivalent!!!
    You should build one out of a 4 cylinder four stroke. Use the 150 verado as your base and go from there. If the snowmobile manufactures can make 250 to 300 with a 1000cc triple then you should easily pull what you want out of a 3000cc 4 cylinder mill. Now the question is-how many are you going to sell? Okay, then why would you expect Mercury to do it? They were sitting on brand new 280 powerheads that didn't sell for over ten years-everyone learns from previous mistakes the key is not to repeat them....

Joe

4. Likes engineermike liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once merc abandoned the two stroke, they abandoned everything that set them apart from all the other outboard manufacturers. If a four stroke has to be on my transom it will be Japanese.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er, doesn’t evinrude make 2-strokes?

7. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just another example of why this forum has unrealized potential. The old guard poo poo’s all over everything 4-stroke in every thread. Times have moved on....time to let go of the past and enjoy the present...or the forum will eventually die out. All of the new 4-strokes are awesome. Jperog is right, everything else made this conversion already and are better for it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Once merc abandoned the two stroke, they abandoned everything that set them apart from all the other outboard manufacturers. If a four stroke has to be on my transom it will be Japanese.
    Merc's 4 strokes are superior to the jap stuff in every way, but by all means buy second best. Way to go supporting your country.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The new 4s need some aesthetic work, but they raised the bar pretty damn far in the weight wars...and 87 octane to boot. I'm just having Mercosil wonders . For sure leaps and bounds from the optiskank. Maybe DBR hasa 300r locked away in a closet.

11. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Merc's 4 strokes are superior to the jap stuff in every way, but by all means buy second best. Way to go supporting your country.
    Yamaha was making ALL mercury's four strokes while they were still chasing optimax injector issues. The verado is superior to a danforth as far as holding power. And these new truck engines are still completely untested. Some of the biggest 4 joke fanboys on this site are still waiting for there's to be delivered, while screaming how great they are. If your goal is to make your boat look like a rat fink characature of itself, and sound like every lifted hillbilly pickup truck driving around, then the new v8 is for you. Merc learned the marketing secret of selling cheap crap in America. Slap a V8 sticker on it and the checkbooks will open.

13. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snowmobile engines (around 200hp not 300hp) are the polar opposite of boat motors; they have 0 low-end torque and operate over a very narrow rpm range due to the continuously variable transmission.

Likewise, the market for 280's was tiny to begin with and they were priced at double what they were worth. How many 225 ProMax or 225XS motors were left over?

Honda pressured the AMA into forcing 250cc two-stroke motocross bikes to race against 450cc four-strokes so the thumpers would appear to be competitive... for their own profit.

A great article if the "facts" don't upset you too much. LOL https://fortnine.ca/en/who-killed-th...ke-motorcycle/

15. Likes Whaaaaat, loop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evenrude / brp. They might still have a chance to really come out ahead in outboards. I would like to see something like they did with Seadoo by building the Spark. A stripped down, no frills simple version of the bigger ski's. They realized that there's still a market for light, nimble, simple. I think they could make some real great outboards with that philosophy

17. Likes 22R, tnelsmn, loop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    ...Honda pressured the AMA into forcing 250cc two-stroke motocross bikes to race against 450cc four-strokes so the thumpers would appear to be competitive...
    True, more correctly they should have allowed 500 cc 4-strokes to account for the power stroke difference.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evenrude / brp. They might still have a chance to really come out ahead in outboards. I would like to see something like they did with Seadoo by building the Spark. A stripped down, no frills simple version of the bigger ski's. They realized that there's still a market for light, nimble, simple. I think they could make some real great outboards with that philosophy
    The spark was built to be cheap. Cheap cheap cheap. When released it beat the next cheapest pwc by about 40% in price. Of course they’re popular. They’re also low on power and dog-slow. When the “complicated big heavy 4-stroke” skis are running 300+ hp the spark is 60-90. Not so sure this crowd would be happy with that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yamaha was making ALL mercury's four strokes while they were still chasing optimax injector issues. The verado is superior to a danforth as far as holding power. And these new truck engines are still completely untested. Some of the biggest 4 joke fanboys on this site are still waiting for there's to be delivered, while screaming how great they are. If your goal is to make your boat look like a rat fink characature of itself, and sound like every lifted hillbilly pickup truck driving around, then the new v8 is for you. Merc learned the marketing secret of selling cheap crap in America. Slap a V8 sticker on it and the checkbooks will open.
    Hahahahha sounds like you don't like Americana very much. Funny you mention big, lifted , loud 4x4 trucks. You described my daily driver perfectly. And, before I would run a jap motor I would give up power boating....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

21. Likes Tin Man 2 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Hahahahha sounds like you don't like Americana very much. Funny you mention big, lifted , loud 4x4 trucks. You described my daily driver perfectly. And, before I would run a jap motor I would give up power boating....
    I like my lifted $500 Toyota better than any truck I ever have owned.

A friend pointed out years ago. What motor is on the back of every drug running boat leaving south America? Billion dollar industry that can afford to power boats with 20+ million dollar shipments with any motor they want. Almost exclusively powered by Yamaha. Because that's the motor most likely to get the product delivered.
    The Japanese make more outboards in a month than mercury will in a year. I'll trust there R and D.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast