Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even with all of the incentives on a new GMC SLT "not a Denalli" it is 60K to drive away. Any nicely equipped 4 door diesel be it Ford or GM is 75K and up. There is a reason that I drive old junk. The best deal going on a truck is Enterprise ($500.00 a week unlimited miles for a brand new F250 diesel)-any long trip, you can bet that I am in a rental. The boats are not much different then new trucks but we can justify them easier I guess-(a pair of 300R offshores are over 50K).

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    For the 80 or 90K a new truck cost, I'd spend the money of a frame of restored older collector truck first. Looks better, any one can maintain it, won't loose value.
    Yep. I have 3 small Broncos so far I am going to fix up. Other than that, I have a couple mid 2000 Dodge 2500s with the Cummins. One has less than 100K on it. I figure they'll last a while!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    Yep. I have 3 small Broncos so far I am going to fix up. Other than that, I have a couple mid 2000 Dodge 2500s with the Cummins. One has less than 100K on it. I figure they'll last a while!
    what sucks about the dodge is the truck will fall apart before that Cummins is even broke in. Mine is about to turn 200k miles and there's not a unbroken piece of plastic in the truck.
    Should have kept my early nineties Ford 7.3 I think that was my favorite. Would have been a better truck for the Cummins.

4. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That fixing up or restoring a old car back to new plan has 1 major flaw. I have had a car addiction for 40 years. Starting with a 65 Chevelle then on into Camaro's, Nova's a few Corvettes. Then my money.
    "credit" let me move into the newer version of cool cars. 85 Monte SS, 95 Impala SS, 2005 SSR i bought 2 of them. When the 05 came out with the 6.0 motor dealers were adding 20k or more to sticker. I found a dealer in Lansing MI that sold me one at sticker. Then late in the year a NC dealer had a no reserve auction on a SSR with every option. 51k window sticker and i was high bidder at 36k. Thought i would get some sorry it was a error in the listing. Instead the people at Doug Henry Chev was a pleasure to deal with. They ended up giving me top dollar for a 2002 f150 crew cab i traded in.
    Along that time i had a couple F150 harley supercharged trucks and bought a new 2007 f150 FX4 Lariat pickup.

Then that missing my youth mid life hit. I wanted a 70 Chevelle SS. After narrowing down to what i thought was the best one for the money. I drove to TX with a trailer and 40k. Numbers matching 396
    4 spd with a\c. Frame off restored to new. When i got it home and went for my first couple hour ride
    around town. I got sick, physically ready to lose my lunch from buyers remorse. I realized i paid 40k for a car that was restored back to the 3800 dollar car it was when new. It had the feel of a car that did nothing well. 14.00 may have been fast in 1970. It was a slug in 2008. Same for a\c that although worked like new. Actually cooled just enough to keep me alive. After entering it in the Super Chevy show and winning the Chevelle class. A buyer bailed me out and bought it that day. The happiness was short lived. I repeated mistake again to to be sure 2 more times. Paid 43k for another 70 SS restored just as nice but not a numbers matching car. Alum head 502 big block 4 spd car. just as sick after a few days.
    Quick sell on ebay then tried one more time with a 34k 70 454 SS El Camino. Decided that once you drive cars with all the evolved suspension and motor and trans. It is hard to go back and enjoy the junk that seemed great at time your memories reflect on.

2009 Challenger RT lead to 2 Challenger SRT's then my current 2016 Challenger Hellcat. Not sure the make and model of my next muscle car. But i am 100% sure it will be newer then my current 2016 car.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    what sucks about the dodge is the truck will fall apart before that Cummins is even broke in. Mine is about to turn 200k miles and there's not a unbroken piece of plastic in the truck.
    Should have kept my early nineties Ford 7.3 I think that was my favorite. Would have been a better truck for the Cummins.

Really? My 01 had to have a new dash, but my O6 and 05 are fine. No breaks or cracks. And both spend time in the sun. The 06 has 170K on it and besides a couple rattles, I'm not scared to take it anywhere.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford and GM colluded on the 10 speed auto, thats how a marriage starts...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davemvegas View Post

Then that missing my youth mid life hit. I wanted a 70 Chevelle SS. After narrowing down to what i thought was the best one for the money. I drove to TX with a trailer and 40k. Numbers matching 396
    4 spd with a\c. Frame off restored to new. When i got it home and went for my first couple hour ride
    around town. I got sick, physically ready to lose my lunch from buyers remorse. I realized i paid 40k for a car that was restored back to the 3800 dollar car it was when new. It had the feel of a car that did nothing well. 14.00 may have been fast in 1970. It was a slug in 2008. Same for a\c that although worked like new. Actually cooled just enough to keep me alive. After entering it in the Super Chevy show and winning the Chevelle class. A buyer bailed me out and bought it that day. The happiness was short lived. I repeated mistake again to to be sure 2 more times. Paid 43k for another 70 SS restored just as nice but not a numbers matching car. Alum head 502 big block 4 spd car. just as sick after a few days.
    Quick sell on ebay then tried one more time with a 34k 70 454 SS El Camino. Decided that once you drive cars with all the evolved suspension and motor and trans. It is hard to go back and enjoy the junk that seemed great at time your memories reflect on.

2009 Challenger Rt lead to 2 Challenger SRT's then my current 2016 Challenger Hellcat. Not sure the make and model of my next muscle car. But i am 100% sure it will be newer then my current 2016 car.
    My first hot rod was a 70 El Camino. Stock spec was a 307, Powerglide, 10 bolt and 4 wheel drum brakes. I found a junkyard 396 and rebuilt it. The PG didn't last long behind the BB so a friend sold me a TH400 and later I got a totaled 70 SS ElCamino with no engine or trans. Took the 12 bolt, SS grill badge and hood and put it on mine. Should have put the front disc brakes from the SS on my El Camino too.
    It was a 14sec. flat car but could have gotten into the high 13's if there would have been better intakes back then; early 80's. Then I had a 72 Chevelle with factory original 402.
    After the Chevelle I bought a 2 year old 89 Mustang GT w/5spd.. After driving that car I had no desire to own a 60-70's muscle car again. Screw that, when I could have the same 1/4 mile time with superior handling, braking, gas mileage and A/C. None of my other cars had working A/C. The 89 Stang was my first car, that I owned, with working A/C.

I was in a Mustang club for awhile and the Prez. of the club had built a 65 GT350 clone. He let me drive the Shelby clone and when I got back from driving it I was even happier with my 89 Mustang GT.
    He also had a very clean 69 428CJ Stang he ended up selling to a guy in CO. for a nice profit.
    Another one of the members had an all original, even the paint, 70 Boss 302 factory race car. He and his brother owned it together and after his brother died the memories were too painful so he put it up for sale. If I could have gotten the 25K he was asking for it I would have bought that car just for the rareness of owning an actual factory race car. There was even a factory riveted plaque/tag stating that it was a race car and came with no warranty or something to that effect.

As much as I'd love to get a used "new era" Charger or even one of the 2005 era TBirds, I'm gonna keep my 95 K1500. I can fix almost anything on it myself.
    Last edited by CDave; 05-30-2019 at 03:38 AM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

9. Likes davemvegas liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is just speculation from a journalist.

FCA has flirted with GM for years. GM has not been interested.

Would GM be interested in a merger with Ford? Would they get anti-trust approval without, say, carving out one of the two pickup truck businesses into a separate company to maintain competition in the US truck market?
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

11. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what dont they just copy a Camry and they can survive as car builders?

13. Likes JPEROG, nitro_rat, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    what dont they just copy a Camry and they can survive as car builders?
    I agree, its not rocket science. Hyundai and Kia have jumped into (and captured major a share) of our market. It all comes down to reliability and affordability. Go drive a new Kia stinger, Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, and Toyota Camary then let me know what American car truly compares. You are fooling yourself if you think that there is one. Go to any major city and see what the uber drivers are running around with 300 and 400 thousand miles. Honda and Toyota have been #1 for over 25 years now.

I must say that the American car companies are doing much better but I have numerous friends that are dealers and the service claims don't even compare in the car market. Trucks are a different story-The f150 and GM 1500 are both very refined and the sales numbers reflect it.

Joe

15. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? My 01 had to have a new dash, but my O6 and 05 are fine. No breaks or cracks. And both spend time in the sun. The 06 has 170K on it and besides a couple rattles, I'm not scared to take it anywhere.
    No direct experience with that body style other that I seem to remember a friend replacing a dash.
    Everything Chrysler made in that era has junk plastic. Freightliner m2 cab's were being delivered with crumbling plastic as late as 3 or 4 years ago

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    OHHH NOOO say it isn't so Nice Pair.....Jap crap? ....yuck, hurl, spew......NEVER!
    Relax! ... I said a reason to consider.
    Wriggleys gum makes me think of boating, "Double your engines, Double your fun"

18. Likes XstreamVking, Frank Molé liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Ford and GM colluded on the 10 speed auto, thats how a marriage starts...

Theres a lot more joint venture in use than a ten spd. How about them windshields for instance? Lifters, Fuel injectors, differentials, tons of multi use parts. The T56 was a three way with Dodge/Ford/GM etc etc etc.

I'm surprised its taken this long and it would have happened long ago except the regulations kept mergers from happening domestically because monopoly market products are never good on any level. Now with Global reach and new makers entering the fray I can see the sense in a GM/Ford merge with a new parent co and maintaining the same brands under that umbrella strictly from a short term financial sense this will give them mass market clout and insulate their negative positions in the debt loads against foreign take overs and whatnot. See Porsche/Vokswagen re Adolf Merckle. Thats an very interesting story about perparing for the inevitable rainy day, with a blitzkrieg plan in place. Very, VERY impressive and also very horrifying precedent for GM and Ford and the others too. Dodge is probably safe for now. Benz already got the goods and not much new since so its a brand and a domestic source of pride and little else nowadays imo.

Once again the issue isn't the companies themselves, its the debts. Next big hit and can we expect tax payer bailouts when interest is already on the wire? Nope. That means the take overs will be fast and furious. The wise are prepping now
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple solution. Buy a Toyota. Far superior truck to anything chevy has ever produced by a mile, and Ford by a few hundred miles. And before anyone babbles the USA crap, they're made in the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Simple solution. Buy a Toyota. Far superior truck to anything chevy has ever produced by a mile, and Ford by a few hundred miles. And before anyone babbles the USA crap, they're made in the USA.
    Not so fast there hoss. Replace those Tundra emission pump assemblies for the cost of a second vehicle. Tacoma rot so bad they had to buy them all back. All manufacturers have their issues now and then.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast