Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verado supercharger max psi

Was wondering what is the max psi of charge air can the stock supercharger produce if the bypass valve isn’t a factor. Also does anyone now the difference between the 300 and 350? I know the heads are the same and the block but the cams are different and the computer anything I am missing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 350 the charge air is water cooled
    What are you trying to do

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was seeing what all it would take to get a 275 or 300 to the 350-400 numbers. From there try tuning for high boost and race fuel. If the stock charger isn't up to the job of 45 to 50 psi then I'll have to explore another charger systems.
    Last edited by vi top shatta; 05-24-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the stock charger is gonna be effective much over 450hp before it becomes a heat pump.
    Look at the Whipple 1.6L 100AX model, rated for 1100cfm and 30 psi. Should be good for 600hp. Put some bigger injectors, fuel pump, head work, bigger cams.
    Rotating assembly is probably fine....could be a beast.
    No reason it can't happen, RB26`s put out 600whp easy =)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    45-50 psi???? Isn’t stock like 10?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think stock is 29psi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking psia? My 400r runs 16-17 psig stock, which would be about 31 psia. Not sure what the 200-350’s run.

imo, 16-17 on pump gas without gdi running wot for long periods is plenty high. What fuel are you thinking?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure if it is psia or psig. I did a search and the psi I found was 29 psi but could be wrong. I was looking for some of the specs for the Supercharger. Psi, cfm etc. Does mercury make this Supercharger or does someone else make it for them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the verado superchargers are made by ihi. Not sure if the 350/400 are also ihi but they are different.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the pulley sizes the same?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Are you talking psia? My 400r runs 16-17 psig stock, which would be about 31 psia. Not sure what the 200-350’s run.

imo, 16-17 on pump gas without gdi running wot for long periods is plenty high. What fuel are you thinking?
    Now I'm totally lost ...

Can we work in common units like Pascals, Torr or inHg ...

No matter what unit of measure you use, you are in essence measuring all the air the engine doesn't have the ability to convert into work.
    The "cram effect" of more boost will make more power works early in the game. Been there, done that. 540 Big Chevy's with Littlefield retro/ Hi-Helix 8-71 @ 52 psi ran no quicker than it did @ 38 psi. Then with 18* darts it wouldn't even make 30 psi but ran 4 tenths quicker.

Back to the verado:
    I'm sure a blueprinted case and rotors along with a head that's spent some time on the bench and a pair of mild regrinds along with an adjustable fuel regulator ... will show less "boost" but make more "Brake Horse Power" .
    When the blower doesn't have to work as hard, there is less parasitic drag on the crank, free's up power and is easier on parts .. win-win.
    Them things are quiet as a church mouse. Gotta be a big cork in the intake side. We were working on a stainless header for the exhaust side when Rick George passed away. Pretty small hole in the engine adapter plate if I remember correctly. But room enough to grow. The oil bag is on one side, and plenty of room for a "BOOM" tube on the other ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Now I'm totally lost ...

Can we work in common units like Pascals, Torr or inHg ...

No matter what unit of measure you use, you are in essence measuring all the air the engine doesn't have the ability to convert into work.
    The "cram effect" of more boost will make more power works early in the game. Been there, done that. 540 Big Chevy's with Littlefield retro/ Hi-Helix 8-71 @ 52 psi ran no quicker than it did @ 38 psi. Then with 18* darts it wouldn't even make 30 psi but ran 4 tenths quicker.

Back to the verado:
    I'm sure a blueprinted case and rotors along with a head that's spent some time on the bench and a pair of mild regrinds along with an adjustable fuel regulator ... will show less "boost" but make more "Brake Horse Power" .
    When the blower doesn't have to work as hard, there is less parasitic drag on the crank, free's up power and is easier on parts .. win-win.
    Them things are quiet as a church mouse. Gotta be a big cork in the intake side. We were working on a stainless header for the exhaust side when Rick George passed away. Pretty small hole in the engine adapter plate if I remember correctly. But room enough to grow. The oil bag is on one side, and plenty of room for a "BOOM" tube on the other ..
    He’s just talking lbs/sq in and including atmosphere of 14.7 which I typically don’t see referenced as “boost” is a measurement of restriction as you described.

If the cams are different as the OP said then the same pulley (compressor speed) and heads will show lower psi as the engine is pumping air more efficiently though can make more power as you mentioned.
    Last edited by PRE-Z06; 06-02-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post

According to merc parts catalog the 350 and 400 use the same supercharger/pulley and cams, so then the additional top end power is coming from the extra RPMs spinning the supercharger faster. The 200-300 L6 Verado’s show to all have the same supercharger/pulley and cams, so assume they are just regulating the psi with the bypass valve and controlling airflow with the electronic throttle body.

From the CARB reports...
    200-216hp@6100/277ftlbs@3250
    225-221hp@6100/277ftlbs@3500
    250-247hp@6100/274ftlbs@4750
    300-291hp@6100/284ftlbs@4500
    350-341hp@5800/320ftlbs@4500
    400-390hp@7000/325ftlbs@4500
    Last edited by PRE-Z06; 06-04-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE-Z06 View Post
    He’s just talking lbs/sq in and including atmosphere of 14.7 which I typically don’t see referenced as “boost” is a measurement of restriction as you described.

If the cams are different as the OP said then the same pulley (compressor speed) and heads will show lower psi as the engine is pumping air more efficiently though can make more power as you mentioned.
    Of course you won't look at boost as a restriction in the intake tract until you start slipping ( a mild hint ) serpentine belts . It will become crystal clear when you start shredding 3" Gilmer belts as to what the fix is ..

This is my last open wheel car ..I sold it to a guy in Alaska of all places ..

Got boost .. err .. total matched airflow

15. Likes PRE-Z06 liked this post