Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastfishinmd View Post
    No normally it would just be left alone but I removed it completely because it was damaged and didn't want it to cause any issues. It isn't necessary for a jet because your not shifting gears
    you cant remove it as it has the interpack diode in it, you can remove the switch at the end and ensure the black yellow is isolated but the loom must stay plugged in.
    It does 2 jobs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastfishinmd View Post
    I will give that a try. Is the tan wire for the alarms?
    By disconnecting the tan wire you eliminate any outside source from engaging the S.L.O.W. system. Just like disconnecting the black wires with yellow tracers at the pack eliminates any outside source from grounding out the pack or intermittently grounding it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    Ok. What problem are you trying to fix?
    Biggest issue is the random times it falls on it's face. It acts like it is going into slow mode but all I need to do is throttle back to neutral and throttle back up I can do it and never come off step. That's how fast it makes a difference timing is dead on 4deg atdc idle and 18deg btdc at wot verified at 5000rpm. One day it was double firing on the #4 cylinder swapped power packs double fire gone rest of the issues stayed at times It sounds like it's missing but have good spark at idle and has spark on the timing light at 3000 or so rpm it's tough to test it above that with the jet unit because it sucks all the water out of under the boat when trying to do it on the trailer and cavitates to 6000rpm and above 3500rpm it's running 30mph. I'm thinking it's the stator but don't want to throw $300 at it if that isn't the problem

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    you cant remove it as it has the interpack diode in it, you can remove the switch at the end and ensure the black yellow is isolated but the loom must stay plugged in.
    It does 2 jobs
    Okay I will add that wire back now can you tell me exactly what that diode is doing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop sight for backwards voltage flow.

Prevents it swaping polarity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE
    Finally was able to get the flywheel off. It had surface rust between the crank and flywheel took more pressure than any flywheel i ever pulled. Thought it was going to break my puller before it let go. So anyway found the stator to be leaking and sure enough failed resistance tests on both charge coils also tested the trigger. I found 2 issues with that so ordered a new stator and trigger will have it back together tomorrow and test run it on the water on Friday. Pretty sure those were my issues with it going to slow mode at random times and sometimes feeling like a slight misfire. Now I hope it also takes care of the midrange roughness. If not I believe that will be an easy fix. What I have read those carbs had issues with the side plates leaking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    Stop sight for backwards voltage flow.

Prevents it swaping polarity.
    I know what a diode does. I was asking what the purpose of it being in that harness was. But no worries I got that figured out and yes it can be eliminated it has no effect on the ignition system once removed. It is only there for protection of the ignition system incase of a back feed through the shift interrupt harness. Since I'm running a jet unit and have no use for the shift interrupt. I can remove it and simply connect the black and yellow wires together. Now if I was running a prop unit I could not eliminate it from the system because it is needed to be able to shift the motor without issue. And yes it would be a bad idea to remove the diode from the system because it would allow back feed from the ground side of the harness to destroy the ignition components.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2