Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More wiring info please OMC

My boat was rigged to utilize aftermarket gauges and controls. Much of the wiring under the dash has been hacked. I received some great info here on identifying wires for ignition, kill switches and trim. I would like to go the next step and wire a warning buzzer/light for the VRO2 pumps. I have twin 225 carb loopers of 1999 or 2000 vintage. I was hoping that there are wires in the loom near the gauges that I could use to do this. I have 4 wire VRO2 pumps with gray, tan, purple and black wires. Does anyone know if these or other wires connect up near the controls and if so, can they be wired to activate a warning? I do not care much about the float system in the VRO tanks ( I am sure I can maintain oil levels ) but I would like to at least have the warning that is triggered by a no oil situation at the VRO2 pumps. Thank you in advance for any info. BTW, I have verified that the VRO pumps are working but do not want to stop mixing in oil until the warning system works. Thanks again. Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have my wiring schematic with me right now. I know that purple and black are NOT what you want. I think its the tan wire that you need. However, I don't think that its isolated. In older motors, the tan wire is the alarm wire for oil, and temperature and fuel pressure. You may have to run your own wires from the tanks to do what you want. OMC wasn't thinking like you are with the alarm wire. They just had one wire for numerous things. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. But the tan wire in older 80's and 90's motors(red connector harnesses) was the alarm circuit for the temp, oil(when it was added), and fuel pressure drop........when it was added.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    96 and up wiring harness..purple is 12v key on...black is ground..grey is tach pulse..tan and tan with tracers are warning wires...these all run up front to a horn driver ....system check tachs have the horn driver built into it...if you have aftermarket tachs with no horn driver ,then omc has a seperate horn driver box you would plug the system check harness into....use the grey/purple /black three wire pigtail to operate conventional tach...
    the horn driver has 12v/tach pulse/ ground/alarm wires as input...output is to the horn...it sees which alarm wire goes to ground when there is a problem and blows the horn accordingly....

the 95 back red plug harness had one tan wire going up front...all the alarm wires tied together on the motor, and when something went wrong the tan wire grounded and the warning horn would sound...
    Last edited by BOATMANBLUES; 05-20-2019 at 04:46 PM.

4. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know OMC sent more than one tan wire for the newer motors. I've never owned a motor with the newer harness!!! LOL! But it makes perfect sense that they would finally have separated the warning wires. Now , I know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefallan View Post
    I didn't know OMC sent more than one tan wire for the newer motors. I've never owned a motor with the newer harness!!! LOL! But it makes perfect sense that they would finally have separated the warning wires. Now , I know.
    The system check gauge indicates what the problem is: oil, temp etc... so yeah, separate wires for each system.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, looked up in book.... see if you have a Tan with yellow tracer wire up at the dash.... that is the VRO warning wire.....
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .