Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob's True Tracker Plate vs. Allison Style Foil

Anyone have an opinion as to which plate is better for a Bullet---Bob's or Allison style plate. Alone I get out of the hole pretty decent but with a tourney load (Water-full tank) a "Large" partner with 50 lbs of tackle is added he has to sit on the step to get on plane. Please keep in mind this is a BULLET not a fishing barge!!! LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either bobs or Allison

you can also down pitch as neither or any foils help with bow rise due to weight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    Either bobs or Allison

you can also down pitch as neither or any foils help with bow rise due to weight.
    Sorry my friend but you are mistaken. The whole purpose of a foil is to raise the transom and drop the nose quicker when heavy or on heavier boats. They also stabilize the hull at slower speeds by lifting the transom (keeping the nose down) allowing for it to stay on plane.

Down Pitch!!!---I say again this is a Bullet. I'm running at the limiter loaded at WOT loaded already. In my experience with other motors on other Bullets a foil dropped the nose like a hammer. In one instance with a Bob's, when running very light the boat would nearly come out of the water when "Launched"!!

My question is simply which foil is better--the Allison style or Bob's??

4. Likes TwzteD liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an out of the box response. And that your buddy had to sit on the step to plane.

Ive just seen more foils hook and keep one bow up, buddy took one off his bullet bobs I think, but it was a family load not turney.

Next silly question would be if the props vented. Less vent will push more up.

Allison if that all your after. I like the foil they make

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a PVS prop (29P Bravo 1 XS) with 8 vent holes. All but 2 are completely plugged and those other 2 have medium hole plugs in them because when running alone the prop ventilates badly getting on plane. I could prolly use a different prop or have some work done on it to improve the issue. Believe it or not I'm already under-propped to keep my WOT speed below 84-85 MPH which is required when running a TM lower to prevent it from blowing out. Some say a TM lower is good up to 87-88 MPH but it will very from boat to boat. Engine height and trim has a lot to do with that. When I first installed the Pro XS I ran a different prop and at 84 it got very squirrelly acting like it was about to blow out. I can only speak of my experience with a Bullet because that is the only boat I have ran a foil on in over 30 years of boating. I had a Bob's on my last Bullet that would run right at 100 MPH, never did it hook or even feel as though it was trying to (CLE Gearcase). Both these type foils are not even close to the waterline when on plane mainly because of the high engine height. Hooking is caused by high trim angles/a lack of prop biting the water which causes the nose to drop at speed. The PM motor I previously had on my current Bullet would hook at even very low speeds which was caused by the design of the custom built lower that was on it at that time (without a foil--Swapped for another problem solved). With either a 27P or 28P prop it would struggle to get on plane light or heavy. After I added the Allison foil it would jump on plane no matter the load. I now have a heavier Pro XS mounted on the back. Light it jumps on plane, heavy is where my only issue is. Yes I can go down in pitch but again keep in mind this is a Bullet, a high performance bass boat designed to run fast. They are very finicky to changes in load. Under propping any boat will get you on plane better but top end will suffer. Running a motor at the limiter at WOT all the time is also not good in the long run as well. A foil is a cheaper fix to planning problems than swapping props to accommodate different loads. All the time I hear folks saying that if you need a foil your setup isn't correct or your running the wrong prop. This IS true with a typical boat, Bullets are NOT your typical boat. I've also had a "SO-Called Expert" asked my why I thought I had to run a coned lower on my boat. If I had a Ranger his question would have been legit but he obviously had no idea about how to set up a Bullet/Allison/Stoker!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting,

i have ave seen them work great our 71 18 Starcraft loves a foil, but loaded it seem to feel like dragging a skier up, so does my 16’ monark it never feels bad, this v18 tracker I run now hates them, pluss my buddies issue I will say without the family it shot out of the hole with it. Always bothered him what was going on with the family in the boat.

Our best guess was something to do with foil angles versus bow lift coming up creating drag. It was a 17 though

that has me generally looking to other options.

You know your boat better then me, I can just relate experience of 3 bullets only one still runs a foil an Allison he comes up pdfq. the other two will hang but not any longer then any other bass pad v.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    Interesting,

i have ave seen them work great our 71 18 Starcraft loves a foil, but loaded it seem to feel like dragging a skier up, so does my 16’ monark it never feels bad, this v18 tracker I run now hates them, pluss my buddies issue I will say without the family it shot out of the hole with it. Always bothered him what was going on with the family in the boat.

Our best guess was something to do with foil angles versus bow lift coming up creating drag. It was a 17 though

that has me generally looking to other options.

You know your boat better then me, I can just relate experience of 3 bullets only one still runs a foil an Allison he comes up pdfq. the other two will hang but not any longer then any other bass pad v.
    Motor height and negative trim has a bunch to do with it!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both Bob's and the Ally foil on my SS2000. Bob's on an XR4 for 10 years, Ally foil on a Promax and now Ally foil on a 200XS. I can't tell the difference, but maybe my engine changes masked the differences.