Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Sheldon information needed Feather Craft related

Hello all I just purchased a 1952 Feather Craft that was raced by Tommy Sheldon called the Marathon Special. I am planning a full restoration and am in the research phase right now. Google came up with some information, most of which led me here and I hope the members here can come up with addition information or leads or point me where to look. I found this obituary and it looks like I have the right guy:

SHELDON, THOMAS E.
    Melrose - Thomas 'THE BOATMAN' Sheldon passed away 6/12/2016 at his home in Melrose. He was born and raised in Miami but has called Melrose his home for 30+ years. He retired from the Gainesville Airport as an Electrician. Thomas was an avid boat racer.
    There will be a celebration of life Saturday 6/18/2016 @ 1PM @ Chiappinis in Melrose. All family and friends are welcome.
    Arrangements are under the care of Forest Meadows Funeral Home, Gainesville, FL.

I purchased it at an estate sale in North Carolina and got no information. There were many outboard motors available at the sale but being a tag sale I went for the boat and someone else got the motor that I assume belonged to it (only one painted red in a sea of green 10+ KG and Hurricane mercury's). It was a KG7 Mercury advertised as having "a racing leg", I think the original cylinders were removed and it had JB weld repairs to it.
    The motor dates to the early 50's if my research is correct.

I did get what appear to be the the original Keller wheel and dead man
    throttle (they match mounting points on the hull,some welded up) that were removed when the boat was converted to tiller operation by the owner I got it from. I assume a dead man throttle would not be used by anyone other than a racer so they must fit his build date. Can you experts tell from the photos when the Keller parts were made? If they date to the early 50's it would make Sheldon out to be the original owner (he was 77 when he died so he must have been born around 1939) at an age of 12 or 13, thus using the name Tommy not the adult form Tom.

The name on the hull is Marathon Special so I am assuming it was one of his 6 hour race boats.

I would like anything and everything you can give me on Sheldon and possibly this actual boat.

Thank you in advance

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190510_100841.jpg   20190510_100900.jpg   20190510_100727.jpg   20190510_100940.jpg   1-t (9).jpg  

20190511_093806.jpg   20190511_093823.jpg  

2. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, If you are located in Atlanta, you might want to bring the boat to the FeatherCraft reunion here in Watts Bar Lake in Spring City TN. They will be at Arrowhead Marina and Resort from Wednesday May 15th thru Sunday morning. Last year there were 42 FCs there. Give me a call if you are interested (423-452-0428) and I can give you the # and email for Keith Young, who I know is a member. Regards, Roger Hinsdale

4. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's a later style Keller throttle. The early 50's ones didn't have the guard over the throttle lock button; the button was exposed on top. Later safety rules required the guard so it wouldn't lock if you fell on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    That's a later style Keller throttle. The early 50's ones didn't have the guard over the throttle lock button; the button was exposed on top. Later safety rules required the guard so it wouldn't lock if you fell on it.
    Thank you very much. I am beginning to think this was a later in life reliving his youth build. The more I dig into the boat the stronger this feeling gets. The Keller stuff was probably picked up used and in 1952 he could have bought a Flash or Fire Fly which would have been the more racing model over the Deluxe Runabout. Possibly Tom had a son named Tommy?

Still curious about Sheldon, so if you have any info Id love to see/hear it.

Larry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Larry, If you are located in Atlanta, you might want to bring the boat to the FeatherCraft reunion here in Watts Bar Lake in Spring City TN. They will be at Arrowhead Marina and Resort from Wednesday May 15th thru Sunday morning. Last year there were 42 FCs there. Give me a call if you are interested (423-452-0428) and I can give you the # and email for Keith Young, who I know is a member. Regards, Roger Hinsdale

Thank you Roger for your reply, I am familiar with the feathercraft.net folks and they have been helping me on the boat itself and getting it set up. I am in Atlanta though Arrowhead is not in the cards next week but possibly the fall version I will be able to attend.

Larry