Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Exclamation Note about a banner here, please read

Hi All,

The large banners you see on the right side, and just above the text box here are served from Google. Although the S&F site absolutely depends on the revenue from those, I will never want that to be at the expense of members' ability to enjoy the site. I routinely report banners to Google that are being used on the ad campaigns on the S&F site that I consider deceptive or invasive. One such banner has caught my attention here, which is pictured below.

At first glance, that appears to be a login for this site, which is is not. And while the banner and the company it links to are absolutely harmless (these are all vetted by Google), I consider it somewhat deceptive in that it's employing a means to encourage a reader to click on it that I consider unacceptable. I feel all banners need to state very clearly what they are advertising.

If you want to check out the company that banner is linked to, there's no hard at all in doing that, but I just wanted to make clear that the banner is not for logging into this site. I will be reporting this banner to have it removed from here ASAP.

I would also like to ask that if you're using one of the very popular ad-blockers on your browser, please consider whitelisting this site. I completely understand that many websites have ad banners that are absolutely annoying and interfere with the use of websites. But that's not the case here, and the site depends on the revenue from those banners very, very much and the increasing use of ad-blockers is becoming very worrisome. I would never add an ad-blocker countermeasure such as some sites do, whereas the site cannot be displayed unless the ad-blocker is turned off. That too, I consider invasive. I am just asking as a favor, if possible, that you might think about helping the site by whitelisting us on any ad-blocker you might be using.

Thanks all,
    Greg

Attachment 438079
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saf-banners-message.jpg  

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

2. Likes CDave liked this post