Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crossflow porting

I have ported a few crossflows in the past..........all v6's. I am gonna mess with a v4 sometime as well. As I was pondering things about my big bore 175 that I am cleaning up an tweaking, I started thinking about the intake ports. Is there any power to be had with smoothing(chamfering) the intake ports on the inspection cover side? Or is it a waste of time? I am just curious, because I am going to take all the covers off to look at every one and clean up casting etc. I am already installing the good heads and cleaning up the intake manifold with stuffers and reeds from CCMS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nobody with an opinion? The scallop at the bottom of the cylinder gets smoothed. ports also? Anyone?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What are you going to run it on? Intended RPM, Fuel available? Lots to be gained but the more power you make the shorter the life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opinion..... Things are slow round here.....be patience GRASSHOPPER.......I like old motors... can get em' cheep..... Most best is copy what factory did......JMO.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefallan View Post
    nobody with an opinion? The scallop at the bottom of the cylinder gets smoothed. ports also? Anyone?
    Your engine already has a scalloped block?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to run it on a lightweight hull.......800lb max..............hull to be determined. I know that is heavy for some racer guys but still at least 400 lbs lighter than the average bassboat. I am looking at a V-king for sale on CL right now......been wanting one. the motor is not scalloped yet. I just know that the scalloped edge gets smoothed towards the ports. I had the inspection covers off to see the pistons and they look amazing(the sides), the rings are not gummed up and no scratches. I will be porting the intake side to remove the fangs left from the factory milling.....and maybe the corners of the ports a little. I am opening up the reed cages with Chris Carson's 2+2 reeds. I was going to emphasize the smoothing of the intake tract from the reeds to the ports removing any lip, bump etc. I was even contemplating chamfering the bottom of the cylinder lip to open up the intake area more(versus scalloping). I have stuffers to go behind the cages and the original factory stuffers to go on top of the cages(the black rubber ones). That is why I was asking about chamfering around the intake holes for the air to be able to get into the ports easier. A blended edge is always better than a sharp edge for airflow right?

I had to buy a new adapter because the original one was messed up. I can already see where to blend down the square walls in there for a smooth transition........and plenty of metal there to do it without adding any new metal.

And yes, I love the old crossflows.........simple to maintain and not hard to find. I grew up on them from a kid. Now as an older man(46) I am into making them a better air pump.......... if you know what I mean. This is my third 235 and I want to make it the best one yet. I sold the others for various reasons.

As far as rpm's go, 6000-6200...........93 octane.............24 degrees timing.

This is where things stand right now.

Thanks to you all for responding to this.
    Last edited by keefallan; 04-22-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes rounded edges flow air around corners better. Removing all casting imperfections does help. At your target rpm porting not really needed IMO just clean it up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate the input!!