Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    I'm curious, how did the steering not lose all it's fluid?
    Cyl on the other motor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, didn't see one didn't have the cylinder
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
    Couldn't tell you. Do they need to?
    The main problem when using four bolts as mercury specify for this setup is the base of the problem, plus the fact they use 1/2 UNF brass nylock nut, which is another weak point, I've almost lost an engine using this setup, and changed all bolts by grade 8 bolt (capscrew) and grade 8 nylock nut, no problem for years, using grade 8 dichromated surface protection doesn't avoid the salt to make some rust on the bolt, but after so many years of hard use, better to replace the grade 8 bolt kit which is not under mercury spec, than call divers for recovery, and tell the insurance guy your mecanic made engines installation correctly and engine lost can occur again... an again...Unless Mercury specify on a service bulletin to use at least 6 mercury bolt kit for these heavy verado, this kind of video should be number one of a long serie ... There is many big boats now fitted with multiple engines at transoms, and in rough condition the size of the boat allow a good handling in these bumpy conditions, BUT the engines installation at the transom doesn't match anymore the hull possibility, and the transom stainless steel bolts start to extend, plus the brass nylock nuts threads start to be extruded.... and the engine (s) start to move, away from the console, sound of engine, slam of waves on the hull, so the pilot cannot hear something bad is going to happen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RING21E View Post
    The main problem when using four bolts as mercury specify for this setup is the base of the problem, plus the fact they use 1/2 UNF brass nylock nut, which is another weak point, I've almost lost an engine using this setup, and changed all bolts by grade 8 bolt (capscrew) and grade 8 nylock nut, no problem for years, using grade 8 dichromated surface protection doesn't avoid the salt to make some rust on the bolt, but after so many years of hard use, better to replace the grade 8 bolt kit which is not under mercury spec, than call divers for recovery, and tell the insurance guy your mecanic made engines installation correctly and engine lost can occur again... an again...Unless Mercury specify on a service bulletin to use at least 6 mercury bolt kit for these heavy verado, this kind of video should be number one of a long serie ... There is many big boats now fitted with multiple engines at transoms, and in rough condition the size of the boat allow a good handling in these bumpy conditions, BUT the engines installation at the transom doesn't match anymore the hull possibility, and the transom stainless steel bolts start to extend, plus the brass nylock nuts threads start to be extruded.... and the engine (s) start to move, away from the console, sound of engine, slam of waves on the hull, so the pilot cannot hear something bad is going to happen.
    I've seen way more people break stainless bolts with stainless nuts do to it gauling before the bolt is torqued and the motor pulled to the transom (few times) vs a properly torqued brass nut pulling the thread (never)

Note the properly part.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the stainless steel transom bolt kit from mercury racing used back in the days on XR2 extend within 2 races, note the grade 8 is not a stainless steel material. And the bolt resistance is far away the original stainless steel one's.Using stainless steel capscrew and stainless steel nut could seize the nut on bolt...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merc nuts should be bronze not brass

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the stainless steel transom bolt kit from mercury racing used back in the days on XR2 extend within 2 races, note the grade 8 is not a stainless steel material. And the bolt resistance is far away the original stainless steel one's.Using stainless steel capscrew and stainless steel nut could seize the nut on bolt...
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Merc nuts should be bronze not brass
    Here. Straight from mother merc in the manual. Brass nuts and reccomend6 bolts for 300 and up (I said 350 earlier)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_125056.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	439513

Name:	20190522_125047.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	439512

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	186 
ID:	439514

Here a chart of grade 8 for comparison

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here. Straight from mother merc in the manual. Brass nuts and reccomend6 bolts for 300 and up (I said 350 earlier)

thanks for giving these added files with upgrade, but there is other service bulletin and engine installations manual where they ask to install verado 300 with 4 bolts, not amazing the guy who install the engine choose the faster procedure, not the best i agree. Cast a glance here,
    300 VERADO FOURSTROKE
    Page 6 / 13 90-8M0070751
    Installing Outboard
    ! WARNING
    Failure to correctly fasten the outboard could result in the outboard propelling off the boat transom resulting in property
    damage, serious injury, or death. Before operation, the outboard must be correctly installed with the required mounting
    hardware.
    Have your dealer install your outboard and related accessories to ensure proper installation and good performance.
    The outboard must be secured to the transom with the four 12.7 mm (1/2 in.) diameter mounting bolts and locknuts provided.
    Install two bolts through the upper set of holes and two bolts through the lower set of holes.

there is all over the world so many VERADO 300 installed with 4 bolts....

the grade 8 bolt is an American spec and far stronger than the mercury requirement.
    Check property here=
    https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for giving these added files with upgrade, but there is other service bulletin and engine installations manual where they ask to install verado 300 with 4 bolts, not amazing the guy who install the engine choose the faster procedure, not the best i agree. Cast a glance here,
    300 VERADO FOURSTROKE
    Page 6 / 13 90-8M0070751
    Installing Outboard
    ! WARNING
    Failure to correctly fasten the outboard could result in the outboard propelling off the boat transom resulting in property
    damage, serious injury, or death. Before operation, the outboard must be correctly installed with the required mounting
    hardware.
    Have your dealer install your outboard and related accessories to ensure proper installation and good performance.
    The outboard must be secured to the transom with the four 12.7 mm (1/2 in.) diameter mounting bolts and locknuts provided.
    Install two bolts through the upper set of holes and two bolts through the lower set of holes.

there is all over the world so many VERADO 300 installed with 4 bolts....

the grade 8 bolt is an American spec and far stronger than the mercury requirement.
    Check property here=
    https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx
    Yep, required and reccomend are two different things. Any tech rigging a boat (notice I said tech. Not "rigger") should understand what that boat was designed to do and gone with the recommended procedure.

Also grade 8 would last about 6 months in salt water.
    Last edited by RSWORDS; 05-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using mercury racing engines, and even the prop shaft doesn't resist very long to rust, the previous drive shaft were also poorly chromed and rust very fast, till water came inside the SM gearcase due to corrosion at seal lips area.. In my application 250XS, Grade 8 or even Grade 5 is the best I've tested, all my friends using 250/300XS on fast boats use grade 8, and prefer to replace bolts often than engines, as the season is not 6months here and boats are stored on trailers after use. look at here the effect of the verado weight on a big rib boat.

Name:	201804031019156189.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	439515
    Last edited by RING21E; 05-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80,000 psi/80ksi and brass doesnt seem to fit together, thats an alloy I think
    Last edited by powerabout; 05-22-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used SS lock nuts with either grease or TefGel..... Galling usually occurs on dry threads.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

14. Likes RSWORDS liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4