Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to split hairs the measured bores are either a bit more than 3.516 or less than 3.518 or combination of both for the 0.005" gap spread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    If you want to split hairs the measured bores are either a bit more than 3.516 or less than 3.518 or combination of both for the 0.005" gap spread.
    5 are .516 on the nuts. I'll check the big one in the morning to the 10,000th & post it. I didn't really realize it in the beginning, but this info will probably help someone else down the road. As far as what I've got, I'm good with it. It's just a fishing motor, I just want it to last for the rest of my life. Performance to the n'th degree isn't top priority. This is only the second time I've been inside a Mercury v6. I rebuilt a 2.4 200 in 2003. It still runs nice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're human, it has to feel good because it is good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagg View Post
    I didn't have any luck getting info from vertex. The generic info on their website is all I could get other than "call promarine". I'm pretty much over the vertex thing. Rest of the pro V's will be here tomorrow & the vertex are going back in the same box. I can't say enough good about promarine. I think the guy I talked to was elwin. Great guy. Bent over backwards to make it right. Rare nowadays I.
    Another good one would be "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS" that were posted for you earlier .. Naturally, this should be done prior to boring the block .

Pro Marine .. made it right ? Another good title would be :

"Pro Marine helped me fix .. err .. feel better about my **** - up "

Hello Pro , I'd like to send back a set of vertex pistons. Only a few of em are scratched up , but don't worry , I opened every set of rings and shoved them in every hole hoping to find a unicorn set. I'm over it . I want to try a different set of .015 over's for my 16 to 18 over block .. on you of course .. Yes they will do it.
    But it's like welfare, the working man will pick up the tab for it next year ..
    Happy Easter

5. Likes Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Another good one would be "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS" that were posted for you earlier .. Naturally, this should be done prior to boring the block .

Pro Marine .. made it right ? Another good title would be :

"Pro Marine helped me fix .. err .. feel better about my **** - up "

Hello Pro , I'd like to send back a set of vertex pistons. Only a few of em are scratched up , but don't worry , I opened every set of rings and shoved them in every hole hoping to find a unicorn set. I'm over it . I want to try a different set of .015 over's for my 16 to 18 over block .. on you of course .. Yes they will do it.
    But it's like welfare, the working man will pick up the tab for it next year ..
    Happy Easter
    Not sure why you felt all that was necessary, but if it makes you feel better about something, great. Pro V's came in yesterday, measured everything out last night. Everything will now be within the specs laid out by the folks that designed the thing. If I used the vertex rings, the ring gap would have been out of spec on all cylinders. I didn't get any welfare, I paid for parts for a Mercury that didn't fit like Mercury says they should. Promarine exchanged them for parts that do fit properly. I paid $450 to have the block bored to 3.516 by one of 2 shops in driving distance. They hit 5 of 6 dead on. They went 2 over on #6. Nobody around here does sleeves & I didn't want to max out the bore in case I have another problem in the future. Even with that screw up, ring gap is .026 on that cylinder. Better than .032 with the vertex. The welfare comment was the only reason I responded, otherwise I don't really care about what you think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you need machine work done again give me a shout

8. Thanks Tagg thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my vertex rings were 33+ gap in 3.530 steel bore so I too got another set from pro marine and ended up with 22/24 gap and I should be on welfare after building my nic 245's three times last 3 years in a row thats 6 times I had them apart in 3 years,these replacement steel bore ff blocks now with 260 + porting I,m broke now so sent money my way please I,m not going to get into who and why ,just want to go for a ride for once lol
    Last edited by eli; 04-20-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So was u a everyday boater and just wore out the 245s pretty quick? Or was it building issues? I want a nic mota but as much I like to work on em , I'm not a fan of the nic and cost of recoating just for a lake mota

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope maybe 10 /15 hours a year , always built well I wanted to do pair of hot steel bore motors for a change ,our lakes are pretty busy so I drive it like I’m going fishing lol had a issue with the nic peeling when I got the 245 ,s redone but u s chrome made it right they are ready to build
    Last edited by eli; 04-24-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Nope maybe 10 /15 hours

u s chrome made it right
    Which ring's did you use .. ( and this next part I'm gonna regret )

What was your break-in procedure ..?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chromoly rings same rings I used for last 12 year's in my nic motor,s break in. 1/ 2 hr on hose idle at 800 then off to lake , idle for 15 min at dock while I answer dumb questions from on lookers then leave dock and plane off 2500 rpm tucked in for1/2 hr stop idle for a few shut off for 1/2 hr start up plane off 2500 to 3000 next 1/2 hr stop idle few minutes shut er down for 15 or so minutes start up and plane 2500 to 3000 for 1/2 hr then go home because I'm tired of this. Next time out 3000 to 3500 for 1/2 hr same procedure just more rpm now something amiss I can hear it so back home pull heads. Go tell the wife she going to divorce me for 20 th time. Call u s chrome. Send pics
    Last edited by eli; 04-25-2019 at 05:00 PM.

14. Likes davemvegas liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hell thats 5 hrs or less. sumthin had to b goin on

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By 4 or 5 hr 15 to 25 % leak down oem rings for the 245 were chromoly back in 1993 so something has changed in the nic process today gold rings are just coated chrome rings
    Last edited by eli; 04-25-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how come plated bores last in aircraft and car engines yet a Merc does 100 hrs before re ring on a good day?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK , eli fair enough.

However ...

They make $ 19 dollar iron rings for chrome holes ( antique industrial type chrome )

Steel rings , plasma/molly coated, chro/molly , H-11 , he11fire, etc. for iron bores but some say you can run them in just about anything $ 20 - 35 dollars. More if it's a 4 stroke and has a 3 piece oil ring.
    I know guys who use the above mentioned bare steel rings on coated cyls and get away with it. I have also seen the same ones get bit by it as well.

There must be a reason that Mother Merc used a Ti Nitride coated steel ring in their Sputter Disposition ( PVD ) coated alloy sleeve. But @ $100 a hole and the life expectancy of 100 hrs it's easy to see why some choose to go a cheaper route.

Round about the same time you were tempting divorce ( nice way to put it btw )
    I chipped a cylinder. See my hand in the air, it's me accepting responsibility for my actions ... not pointing a finger. The end result, the man got his block, I'm still a US Chrome dealer and Mark and I are still friends .. and I only think about it when you bring it up ..

With this ring ...

So while we're on the subject of rings. I have a question OK maybe two

1 ) When has anyone heard of a "modern-day Wiseco" having issues ?
    ( true it's not really ring related, but will give the finger pointing democrats something to whine about )

2 ) When was the last time anyone heard of the pins falling out of a new Merc, WSM, Mahle, Wiseco, Pro, Vertex, replacement piston used in a "lake" application ???
    With rings "cut" like these and of course installed in this direction ....

19. Likes eli liked this post
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast