Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDMAN View Post
    Getting a little off-topic aren't we? I had a Honda CB 160 motorcycle when I was 16
    No .. not really. Ya just gotta be willing to walk out on the ledge with him and talk him back down ..

Doug Swick over in Lakeland had the nicest collection of 160, 305 and 350 Honda , Dream's , CB's and CL's I have ever seen .. ifin ya ever want to relive your childhood a lil ..

I’m comparing production emission compliant engines not max effort race builds. RPMs are going to dictate power as long as the engine can efficiently pump air through as it spins higher. Motorcycle engines don’t have the lowend to be outboards in my humble opinion and they don’t idle low enough as there’s a trade off with moving the powerband up which I’m sure you understand. The R is “asleep” yet still makes as much if not more than the hotter X. It’s fairer to compare engines that peak at a similar RPM, which I don’t think the XS stands a chance compared to the R. If the R makes as much if not more than the X, then which would you expect to last longer at WOT?

Don't go demon-rat on me by pullin the bait and switch. Title say's 300R vs 300x. Today it has to be stock production ? Emissions compliant .. LMAO Maybe get Nasty Peloski to hold the meter ?

Put the dyno sweeps away on the bike motor and the 6 speed powerband. Ever rode a car tire, wheelie bar 1327cc Suzuki with a 1,2,3 auto ?

My point being ... pull the fairing off of an R-1 . The cawl off of a 300R and lift the hood on a 55 Chevy as John Q Pedestrian family traffic walks past , ask of them , which two engines look more alike ..

OK now that , that is cleared up . My reference to the antique .. is how long ago and with such substandard equipment , they were able to drag 2 hp / ci .. Just a simple fact .. nothing to get "teck-locked" over ... for days ..

Now back to why I posted in the first place ..

It would be real nice to have a few 300x powerheads 8-10K each. I'd sell in a heartbeat , unless they are gonna be worth 12-15K after Trump wins again.

Air compressor .. I gotz one of them little ones you plug in the cig lighter so the girls can blow up their rafts .. the rest are back at the shop where they belong

300R $30,000.00+ a copy .. $60,000.00 to fill my transom. I won't waste your time repeating myself ... Let me just say, I believe that someday I'll see my dad again. And if I spent that kind of money on "just two outboard motors" .. well it wouldn't be pretty

Correction factor ... Observed , and the slick one had a Polaroid

2. Likes Kcraft liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    No .. not really. Ya just gotta be willing to walk out on the ledge with him and talk him back down ..

Doug Swick over in Lakeland had the nicest collection of 160, 305 and 350 Honda , Dream's , CB's and CL's I have ever seen .. ifin ya ever want to relive your childhood a lil ..

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT] Don't go demon-rat on me by pullin the bait and switch. Title say's 300R vs 300x. Today it has to be stock production ? Emissions compliant .. LMAO Maybe get Nasty Peloski to hold the meter ?

Put the dyno sweeps away on the bike motor and the 6 speed powerband. Ever rode a car tire, wheelie bar 1327cc Suzuki with a 1,2,3 auto ?

My point being ... pull the fairing off of an R-1 . The cawl off of a 300R and lift the hood on a 55 Chevy as John Q Pedestrian family traffic walks past , ask of them , which two engines look more alike ..

OK now that , that is cleared up . My reference to the antique .. is how long ago and with such substandard equipment , they were able to drag 2 hp / ci .. Just a simple fact .. nothing to get "teck-locked" over ... for days ..

Now back to why I posted in the first place ..

It would be real nice to have a few 300x powerheads 8-10K each. I'd sell in a heartbeat , unless they are gonna be worth 12-15K after Trump wins again.

Air compressor .. I gotz one of them little ones you plug in the cig lighter so the girls can blow up their rafts .. the rest are back at the shop where they belong

300R $30,000.00+ a copy .. $60,000.00 to fill my transom. I won't waste your time repeating myself ... Let me just say, I believe that someday I'll see my dad again. And if I spent that kind of money on "just two outboard motors" .. well it wouldn't be pretty

Correction factor ... Observed , and the slick one had a Polaroid

I like anything fast and love doing it on a budget, but the motto at the shop was pick two of the three as all of them don’t exist together(fast, cheap and reliable)

I got my motorcycle licensed before heading to be stationed overseas in Navy, but decided it was safer to stick with 4-wheels than 2 after riding buddies FZ6 which was slower than the Vette, getting married and having kids also played a factor. Our fabricator had a 1000RR that went 8.8@162 though with just a pipe, filter, tune, sprocket and stretching.

I started the thread comparing the original engines as they came, which unfortunately includes emissions crap. I wish I could go back in time as it is impressive what was done back in the day and still appreciate it is why I asked about the details on the gen1 sbc that you brought up. I personally don’t make the correlation of a 10k Rpm I4 and 6k Rpm V8, so my apologies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why would you need an engine builder, when you can buy GM crate motors.
    Why would you need a body + chassis man when you can find another C-6 on Craigslist.
    For that matter, why would you need a shop with all those expenses, when you can get fast and reliable right from a GM outlet like Scoggen's. Are you saying you can do better than the general .. ???

When one of Mercury Racing's employees was at my shop and saw the base of a 3.0L block I was preparing. He asked : What is this , I said , you know what it is , a simple and effective fix .. so all 10 powerhead studs can be pulled down to 47 ft/lbs instead of leaving stud #9 and #10 back at the second pull of 29 ft/lbs.
    His eyes said : Why didn't I think of that , but his mouth said , we will be phasing two strokes out in the next couple of years .. so it really doesn't matter at this point.
    I took it as quite a compliment, and I thanked him for the information and said something to the effect of Do you think the dozen or so cores I have , will last me , or should I hoard up a few more ..

BTW .. I've got to order another two dozen of my custom 3.6L sleeves tomorrow. You got me thinking about the reliability end of it. I'm gonna sleep on it, but I think if he's got the blanks, I'm gonna get 6 additional sleeves made that will go 4.000" Id .
    That would be 3842.6 cc / 239.49 ci ..
    I can't do no worse than them .. how many Opti-Pop's did they split the cyl register on shoving the sleeves in all at once ... cold

Or how many 3.2 cranks spit the balance puck out ..

Don't think that new V-8 is immune either . Let em get a couple years old hangin out on the back of cats ... tick-tock tick-tock

5. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbasser1 View Post
    I was doubtful before I owned one too. The thing is you just can’t possibly imagine the difference until you own/ set one up right. I had one on my 20’1” Bullet first, and now on my 21’10” Bullet. Everyone wants to credit the Cnc, but the facts are I broke 100 with a $600 stock bravo l. That’s a feat I never could do with my xs. On a Bullet that’s like having the best of both worlds. Holeshot and Top end. I’ve had a 1.75 on my xs as well, and I couldn’t dream of turning the props the R will. One at a time the world will learn
    You should comment in this thread, I’ve been banned otherwise I would.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=984661

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you need a body + chassis man when you can find another C-6 on Craigslist.
    For that matter, why would you need a shop with all those expenses, when you can get fast and reliable right from a GM outlet like Scoggen's. Are you saying you can do better than the general .. ???

When one of Mercury Racing's employees was at my shop and saw the base of a 3.0L block I was preparing. He asked : What is this , I said , you know what it is , a simple and effective fix .. so all 10 powerhead studs can be pulled down to 47 ft/lbs instead of leaving stud #9 and #10 back at the second pull of 29 ft/lbs.
    His eyes said : Why didn't I think of that , but his mouth said , we will be phasing two strokes out in the next couple of years .. so it really doesn't matter at this point.
    I took it as quite a compliment, and I thanked him for the information and said something to the effect of Do you think the dozen or so cores I have , will last me , or should I hoard up a few more ..

BTW .. I've got to order another two dozen of my custom 3.6L sleeves tomorrow. You got me thinking about the reliability end of it. I'm gonna sleep on it, but I think if he's got the blanks, I'm gonna get 6 additional sleeves made that will go 4.000" Id .
    I can't do no worse than them .. how many Opti-Pop's did they split the cyl register on shoving the sleeves in all at once ... cold

Don't think that new V-8 is immune either . Let em get a couple years old hangin out on the back of cats ... tick-tock tick-tock
    I’ve never owned a 2-stroke, so not questioning your knowledge on them. I am a fan of how much lighter they are, reason I chose a V8 Vega for my first hot rod was because of weight.

Found some info on the Grump’s old race engines in the thread below if anyone else is interested.
    http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...30851&start=45

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much extra power before the exhaust starts to get too restrictive?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE-Z06 View Post
    You should comment in this thread, I’ve been banned otherwise I would.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=984661
    Just something about having to be "all stock" on a "Hi-performance" board that earn's them the dumb-azz award right off the bat ..

When "weed-whacker" insisted on a serial #'s at the time I had "Ballz" and "Spartacus" together, which were both sausages / floor sweepin's .. I said :

Power Ol buddy ... you know darn well that when Montey seen one of them OMC lookin blocks on my table he was gonna cut the back of it off .. gotta be ten years ago

I look at this block, and think of how much they have changed since then .. LOL

10. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just something about having to be "all stock" on a "Hi-performance" board that earn's them the dumb-azz award right off the bat ..

When "weed-whacker" insisted on a serial #'s at the time I had "Ballz" and "Spartacus" together, which were both sausages / floor sweepin's .. I said :

Power Ol buddy ... you know darn well that when Montey seen one of them OMC lookin blocks on my table he was gonna cut the back of it off .. gotta be ten years ago

I look at this block, and think of how much they have changed since then .. LOL

it needs a bubble back like an OMC
    Last edited by powerabout; 05-23-2019 at 09:28 AM.

12. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    i needs a bubble back like an OMC
    Don't tempt me ..

We've talked about closing off the bottom and making the exit between two and three on the backside. A few things would be accomplished. It would be different. Club pulse would be so happy. And a single chamber, snow/watercraft style could be used on each bank ...

14. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about re design/port so the exhaust comes out on the outside and the old exhaust plenum is filled of huge ports?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz could one-off anything your/his imagination can think of, but the money has to come from somewhere and then who is getting in line to buy them?

On another note Chaz, the buy in with these 300Rs is prohibitive yes, but the upside as far as the endless aftermarket possibilities seems positive. In my mind it will be the LS of outboards. I'm still envisioning an outboard with a nice cam lope.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

17. Likes PRE-Z06 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    how about re design/port so the exhaust comes out on the outside and the old exhaust plenum is filled of huge ports?
    Only thing that comes close to sounding as terrible as a rotary @ 20,000 is a Mis~matched "over ported" two stroke wallowing thru the ports struggling desperately to come up on the pipe. You know the sound, open the throttle and the poor *&^%^ %^$ $%#$&*9 #^^%$ looses RPM .. WwwhhaaaWwwhhaaaaaWhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .. No thank you ..

AZMIDLYF
    Chaz could one-off anything your/his imagination can think of, but the money has to come from somewhere and then who is getting in line to buy them?

On another note Chaz, the buy in with these 300Rs is prohibitive yes, but the upside as far as the endless aftermarket possibilities seems positive. In my mind it will be the LS of outboards. I'm still envisioning an outboard with a nice cam lope.

It's funny you say it that way. One of my mentors long ago had cards that said "If you can dream it, we can make it" .. and man did we build some wierd **** LOL

My banker, (I built two dragster chassis and one door slammer for him ) told me a long time ago to always owe the bank money. Pay them on time, and if I ever needed to borrow real money it would be there for me. I guess he was right , when my son was little he would get mail , you have been pre aproved for a $ 50,000 dollar credit card. LOL
    I still follow his advise , take a small home improvement loan and pay them back with their own money. I thank god that I havent needed them , or at my age saw the necessity to borrow money to repower a boat that chances are I'd die before I'd pay them off. I wouldn't do that to my family. I would however leave my kid my boat and a half a dozen good runnin powerheads ..

I was speakin with a fella just the other night. Seems he got his hands one one of these 300R motors and wants to see what's inside ..
    I've been thru a bunch of cell phones. Every time, the kid behind the counter ( that looks like he fell face first into a tackel box ) puts my SIM card in ... he looses half my phone numbers ... Good thing I have all my connections to the 4 stroke performance world .. on Rolodex cards .. Rumpty.. rump

19. Likes AZMIDLYF, PRE-Z06 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to the dreams you can make happen Sir.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6542.jpg   300XS_3-4_REAR-PORT.png   Racing_SM-HD-300-R.png  

22. Likes PRE-Z06 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300hp have been around since the mid 80's what year is it now?
    Ok we have 300hp same weight as 35 years ago, cutting edge lol
    Last edited by powerabout; 05-24-2019 at 07:50 PM.

24. Likes Whaaaaat, Glyn mathews liked this post
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast