Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    This General Public is starting to become concerned...
    No need , just like a judge .. take it case by case. One doesn't overlap the other ..

If I was ta break my own rule .. I think I'd have to go get this one. ( Matches my eyes) I still have Mid section stuff I got from ACE that I haven't opened yet. Based off of our other deal's , everything was as nice or nicer than he said it was ...

2. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50ECE44F-35DB-495D-B0ED-11DC7DDE960C.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	400.2 KB 
ID:	441884
    Can someone help me modify these outboards on my daughter’s new Ocean Cruiser from Bass Pro? They’re paid off, but trying to figure out if they’re Merc 2-strokes or 4s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    JPEROG, did this set up ever get dialed in and was there a previous power to compare with?

Attachment 441838
    It never went to its full potential but the owner was very happy with the motor overall. Its now in the process of being rigged on his Argo.

Joe

5. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    ....It has everything to do with the general public, credit, and warranty periods.
    This may come as a shock to you so you might want to sit down. In every arm of powersports and motorsports people throw the warranty out the window, many while still paying a note. Visit any sports car, sxs, atv, pwc, snowmobile, etc forum and you see that the majority of “buzz” is about what people are doing with the brand new stuff that’s most recently released. Hell, there’s an engine modification forum devoted to the 2019+ ford ranger for chrissake! All those paid off and out of factory warranty I suppose? Nope. People modify new stuff inside the warranty period every. Damn. Day. I’m not buying that that’s what’s stopping folks from modifying new outboards.

It's become obvious your too stupid to comprehend that.

Last thing I said to your ignorant ass was "Have a good weekend"

Perhaps your more accustom to hearing it like this "Phukk Off Loser"
    Glad we could act like adults here.
    Last edited by engineermike; 06-15-2019 at 10:05 PM.

7. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people like 4s because they think they can mod them from a laptop, which might be true.
    I'm sure thats lots of people whereas the people that can mod a 2 stroke are very small and most of that is a one way path with machining.
    So who has a pulsed flow bench to test reeds?
    How about cfd programme that can deal with pulsed flow?
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-16-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if laptop tuners are so smart where's the tune for an e-tec?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE-Z06 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50ECE44F-35DB-495D-B0ED-11DC7DDE960C.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	400.2 KB 
ID:	441884
    Can someone help me modify these outboards on my daughter’s new Ocean Cruiser from Bass Pro? They’re paid off, but trying to figure out if they’re Merc 2-strokes or 4s
    Looks like a couple of rug munchers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    I think people like 4s because they think they can mod them from a laptop, which might be true.
    I'm sure thats of people whereas the people that can mod a 2 stroke are very small and most of that is a one way path with machining.
    So who has a pulsed flow bench to test reeds?
    How about cfd programme that can deal with pulsed flow?
    Yamaha’s 200-300hp 4.2LV6 are the same hardware and only differ in software changes, which I assume was done because of cost with mass production of parts being cheaper. Mercury followed in their footsteps with the 4.6LV8 being the same hardware for 200-300hp (excluding 300R) versions besides the throttle body. If talking aftermarket, does anyone even have the ability yet to truly tune them or are they just reflashing a higher hp factory tune? I don’t think the manufacturer did it to make them more popular than 2-strokes, it was dictated by cost and emissions. Most people will take the path of least resistance, so I guess it’s still easier to easier/cheaper to modify the 2-stroke at this point in time though maybe things will change one day.

Happy Father’s Day to all!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yamaha’s 200-300hp 4.2LV6 are the same hardware and only differ in software changes, which I assume was done because of cost with mass production of parts being cheaper. Mercury followed in their footsteps with the 4.6LV8 being the same hardware for 200-300hp (excluding 300R) versions besides the throttle body. If talking aftermarket, does anyone even have the ability yet to truly tune them or are they just reflashing a higher hp factory tune? I don’t think the manufacturer did it to make them more popular than 2-strokes, it was dictated by cost and emissions. Most people will take the path of least resistance, so I guess it’s still easier to easier/cheaper to modify the 2-stroke at this point in time though maybe things will change one day.

yes but the funny part is the e-tecs are cleaner, perhaps they should license that technology so others can use it and save the planet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    yes but the funny part is the e-tecs are cleaner, perhaps they should license that technology so others can use it and save the planet?
    I wonder if Mercury will make marketing videos of their new 4-strokes playing tug a war with the G2 now? Anyone modifying them or are they too expensive and heavy?

14. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Mercury will make marketing videos of their new 4-strokes playing tug a war with the G2 now? Anyone modifying them or are they too expensive and heavy?
    The new Mercury V8’s and V6’s are pretty much the same weight or lighter and in many cases less expensive then their competition so if there’s an interest in modding the competition I’m sure there will be for the Mercs.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On the Yamaha performance site they offer the 200 and all steps between, the 300 tune with "stock", 6500 and 7000 rpm limiter.
    Now I'm pretty sure that when they wrote the program for those motors in Japan, they didn't fill in the blanks to 7 , 8 , 9 and 10,000 rpm. Why would they if they were never going to see anything more than 6000.
    How many guys had their Merc box reflashed, only to say, it doesn't go on the limiter , but it doesn't go any faster either. Sure a big part of it is that it has run out of air. Port restrictions, port timing ( or camshaft) etc. but I can't help but think that what you pay for is a big copy and paste job of the 5000 to 6000 rpm window parameters into the 6000 to 7000 rpm slots. Or just a continuation of the pulse width number used @ 6000.
    Every dyno session I have been part of, I watched the need for fuel start to go away after torque peak . That's sposta be one of the benefits of fuel injection, the ability to trim fuel load as rpm increases. I think most guys get the above mentioned generic CYA factory tune with a raised limiter. If they were to develop a "lean-best" tune-up on the dyno and or 800' drag racing and then sell it to a guy with a heavy boat or to guys who hold them WFO for ten miles or more @ a time .. they would earn a bad reputation, pretty fast. So in good faith you pay numbers inching twords $1000 , don't ask whats done , they don't tell , and everybody goes their separate ways .. happy.
    Merc went to Whipple while developing the Verado package. They learned a lesson the hard way. They were use to dealing with Moto-tune who is still more than happy to tell you to buy a "new" twenty year old $2500 box from Merc instead of "fixing" or "reassigning" your old one. Got a Verado, have at it, Whipple is more than willing to never be used by Merc again.
    It's been cat + mouse ever since . 2014 and newer box's are a little different to B+E from what I hear. Guys with the new .. guys waiting to get a new V-8 , throw around, O-yea, I'll get the box done ... I'd like to see the list of guys that have got the can opener for that one .. And then what, raise the limiter .. here we go again !

17. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    The new Mercury V8’s and V6’s are pretty much the same weight or lighter and in many cases less expensive then their competition so if there’s an interest in modding the competition I’m sure there will be for the Mercs.
    From what I’ve seen posted on people who’ve actually hung them on meat hook, they’re not as light as claimed. Did marketing intentionally have them weighed without fluids and cowl to help ease those that going to a 4-stroke isn’t going to add weight?

19. Likes AZMIDLYF, Whaaaaat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Yamaha performance site they offer the 200 and all steps between, the 300 tune with "stock", 6500 and 7000 rpm limiter.
    Now I'm pretty sure that when they wrote the program for those motors in Japan, they didn't fill in the blanks to 7 , 8 , 9 and 10,000 rpm. Why would they if they were never going to see anything more than 6000.
    How many guys had their Merc box reflashed, only to say, it doesn't go on the limiter , but it doesn't go any faster either. Sure a big part of it is that it has run out of air. Port restrictions, port timing ( or camshaft) etc. but I can't help but think that what you pay for is a big copy and paste job of the 5000 to 6000 rpm window parameters into the 6000 to 7000 rpm slots. Or just a continuation of the pulse width number used @ 6000.
    Every dyno session I have been part of, I watched the need for fuel start to go away after torque peak . That's sposta be one of the benefits of fuel injection, the ability to trim fuel load as rpm increases. I think most guys get the above mentioned generic CYA factory tune with a raised limiter. If they were to develop a "lean-best" tune-up on the dyno and or 800' drag racing and then sell it to a guy with a heavy boat or to guys who hold them WFO for ten miles or more @ a time .. they would earn a bad reputation, pretty fast. So in good faith you pay numbers inching twords $1000 , don't ask whats done , they don't tell , and everybody goes their separate ways .. happy.
    Merc went to Whipple while developing the Verado package. They learned a lesson the hard way. They were use to dealing with Moto-tune who is still more than happy to tell you to buy a "new" twenty year old $2500 box from Merc instead of "fixing" or "reassigning" your old one. Got a Verado, have at it, Whipple is more than willing to never be used by Merc again.
    It's been cat + mouse ever since . 2014 and newer box's are a little different to B+E from what I hear. Guys with the new .. guys waiting to get a new V-8 , throw around, O-yea, I'll get the box done ... I'd like to see the list of guys that have got the can opener for that one .. And then what, raise the limiter .. here we go again !
    You may be right, but I thought Wayne used to work for the manufacturer. I’ve seen results of so called tuners like you speak of that customer’s of theirs came to our dyno days back at the shop, so I have no doubt it exists in the marine world as well. I’ve heard spinning the sho over 7k results in issues an believe the best bet is to prop it to run 6500-6800 max as the vct can only help so much as well up top. Never go full retard as said in Tropic Thunder lol. Any loss in torque hopefully is offset by smaller pitch prop from increasing linter though maybe not depending on how much speed is gained I suppose. Nizpro of course makes a supercharger to turn it into a 450, though lower unit can’t keep up is what I hear. I don’t deliver Simon is raising the limiter over stock on V6/8 Mercury’s though someone can correct me if wrong. I don’t know if that’s to keep warranty from being voided or it’s not possible, but hoping this thread stirs up some to see the interest that’s out there. You’re right though building a drag engine is totally different than an endurance marine engine. It’s like our Monster triple disc clutch that reset the GM H-pattern stick shift record of 7.82@190 Friday night, not the clutch I’d necessarily recommend for your daily driver.
    Last edited by PRE-Z06; 06-22-2019 at 11:53 PM.

21. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 speed auto has won the drag race over any stick shift i hear...
    Time for the Deuce High lower to reappear on the 450DR model
    (DR = drag race)
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-22-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast