User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Palm City Fla
    Posts
    3,513
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    226
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2185
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What do you do when a guy sends you six months worth of work every three months and is willing pay you more than it's worth ... you look for good help. Please tell me where to find them ...
    Things like the above do tend to make the slow-moving, difficult, one-off, it's a challenge so I took it on type projects gather even more dust. I think no shop is immune no matter the motive. The hardest thing to do sometimes is to say, "No sir, that one can't be fixed" because at that point your lying not only to them but yourself.
    But those that your saving from the scrap pile, if you make those priority 1 you"ll go under in short order. Because you can never-never get paid for the time you have invested in project's like that . Never.
    These guys who pop up every so often never say , I just needed a quick hone or one hole bored , I think they are part of the 3 piece club , you know block has a few extra holes and the front half is cut completely in two ..

    Paging # 43

  2. Likes mach351 liked this post
  3. #32
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London, Kentucky
    Posts
    28
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn’t trying to make Mag machine look bad by this thread. All I was asking was another way to get ahold of Ron to check on the block I sent him because the last time we talked was in the first of January and he told me he would have it to me in a couple of weeks and here we are in the month of April. I’m a very understanding guy and do not want to rush no one all I wanted to do is touch base on things and when he didn’t answer my phone calls for 2 weeks straight I was getting kind of worried something had happened. But sorry if this post looked like I was downing Mag Machine.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    7,797
    Thanks (Given)
    122
    Thanks (Received)
    220
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    856
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you do when a guy sends you six months worth of work every three months and is willing pay you more than it's worth.
    (1) If thats the case you dont take in other work OR!!! tell the customer youre current back log is 18 months.

    you look for good help. Please tell me where to find them ...
    (2) In this day and time you dont!!! Ive tried, No Luck. Good help isnt out looking because their working. I even went to the local High School and offered a summer program for three Seniors. All they wanted to do is stay on the Damn cell phone. SOOOOO HOME they went never to return.

    When I got to the point I either had to get bigger or stay independent hands on. I tried to go bigger. In less than three months I pulled the plug and went back to the way it was to begin with.

    Regardless IMO to keep someones Product for a year + unless its agreed to up front is Inexcusable. I know its hard to say NO and simply not take the work in. Because customer will most likely never return. But on the other had a pissed off customer because of keeping their product a year + isnt going to return either.

    [QUOTE=Chaz;3124067]What do you do when a guy sends you six months worth of work every three months and is willing pay you more than it's worth ... you look for good help. Please tell me where to find them ...
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

    FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Pekin, IL
    Posts
    7,913
    Thanks (Given)
    215
    Thanks (Received)
    288
    Likes (Given)
    1168
    Likes (Received)
    1640
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not downing anyone ya just want your stuff back. A lack of communication is the number one red flag. The number two red flag is reading these threads that seem to repeat themselves. I know that when Mr. Ruck owned this business you would not be surprised if he called you at bedtime to ask you questions about your project. Happened to me more than once. He also had a very good reputation along with an acceptable turn around time. Good prompt work with exceptional communication equals success and that is what the business was before it was purchased which is why you never heard complaints about Ruck. I hope Ron can get to this point and be successful but threads like this are not indicative of movement in that direction. I am sure he made a sizeable investment and would sure hate to see it go south on him.

    Rock
    Team Junk

    No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

    "Screamin Heathen"

  6. Likes Acoffeu, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
  7. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    7,797
    Thanks (Given)
    122
    Thanks (Received)
    220
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    856
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think anyone took it like you were downing or bashing Mag machine. But yours isnt the first thread pertaining to this repeated way of Ron conducting Business (Or maybe its better said His way of Not Conducting Business). And believe me there are WAY more incidences that never got posted on here. Hes lost alot of long time customers that Jim Ruck Turned over to him. Regardless of the reason Its Never good to keep a customers Product without a continous line of communication. A business can be the BEST in the Business at what they do. But will loose customers like Mad Hornets attacking someone that violated their nest because of poor business practices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acoffeu View Post
    I wasn’t trying to make Mag machine look bad by this thread. All I was asking was another way to get ahold of Ron to check on the block I sent him because the last time we talked was in the first of January and he told me he would have it to me in a couple of weeks and here we are in the month of April. I’m a very understanding guy and do not want to rush no one all I wanted to do is touch base on things and when he didn’t answer my phone calls for 2 weeks straight I was getting kind of worried something had happened. But sorry if this post looked like I was downing Mag Machine.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

    FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

  8. Likes Acoffeu, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
  9. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brookeland , Texas 75931 North of Jasper
    Posts
    11,637
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    104
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive used Ron in the past for nickel blocks and after we had a "come to Jesus meeting" things were fine , I have had good work from him but it has been a year ago , I think he has medical issues ( no excuse ) there is no excuse unless your in the hospital , you can then call or have a representative call and send back a clients parts , I'm using a machinist in La. and its worked out great , he has a fishing camp 30 minutes from me and instead of trusting the Brown Bombers I can meet him within a week of delivery he does my Nickel and steel sleeve motors , If Ron is sick I wish him well if not he needs to step up and either do the work agreeded upon or sent it back to the rightful owner ASAP...

    Jay @ JSRE
    Jay @ JSRE

  10. Likes Acoffeu, rockit liked this post
  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    minocqua, wis
    Posts
    3,356
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    70
    Likes (Given)
    254
    Likes (Received)
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim ruck was fantastic and good friend what ever I dropped off on a Saturday was ready the next Saturday when I would go there I would hang out and follow him and deb around for hours watch them at there greatness I sent Ron couple heads to redo and got them back in 2 weeks last year

  12. Likes Acoffeu, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Ashland city tn
    Posts
    2,392
    Thanks (Given)
    90
    Thanks (Received)
    168
    Likes (Given)
    364
    Likes (Received)
    384
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent a 2.5 block to mach guy I use here n tn , close to 4hrs away, b4 I sent the block we had great conversation on phone bout my block , then he proceeded to tell me he was swamped with work and if I needed a real quick turnaround he couldn't do it, just to many n front of me , I didnt want anyone else doing it ,so i took the good with the bad, I didnt need a super fast turn around so I sent it off , he had it couple months I guess, but when I did call he would tell me where I was in line , this also isnt his full time job , just evening and weekend thing , so really 3 or 4months has kinda been the normal for lots of the "busy" shops. Mag should really talk to his customers better ,, when I see communication like this ,just kinda tells me that they feel they dont need ur block or work to stay busy ,, if you have steel sleeve mota ,there many guys out there that can do the work pretty quick , guessing most people send him blocks still is cause he does nic cyl also?? Where lots people dont? Hopefully u can get it back and send it to one of our reliable s&f members. Good luck

  14. Likes Acoffeu liked this post
  15. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Folsom, Cal
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    354
    Likes (Received)
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Ron with decent results,the communication can be a bit undesirable... IMO,Hard to find another place that does nik motors with right skills and tools..NO matter who you use it has to be sub contracted out to US chrome for full re-nic.US chrome's work is VERY questionable these days!At least Ron lives close to US and I think he keeps there quality control in check,again just my $.02
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

  16. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Palm City Fla
    Posts
    3,513
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    226
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2185
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    Chaz was just thinking about windows, I have a 280 block at Tommy Dunn's I need to pick up and bring to you
    Naaaa , just leave the holes in it. look how much better the "flow thru is"



    Uncle BBQ sez :
    In this day and time you dont!!! Ive tried, No Luck. Good help isnt out looking because their working. I even went to the local High School and offered a summer program for three Seniors. All they wanted to do is stay on the Damn cell phone. SOOOOO HOME they went never to return.

    When I got to the point I either had to get bigger or stay independent hands on. I tried to go bigger. In less than three months I pulled the plug and went back to the way it was to begin with.

    Regardless IMO to keep someones Product for a year + unless its agreed to up front is Inexcusable. I know its hard to say NO and simply not take the work in. Because customer will most likely never return. But on the other had a pissed off customer because of keeping their product a year + isnt going to return either.


    Can't argue a bit with those words of experience. To add to that, I had a famous reed maker in the Florida Keys say something to the effect, no one moves to the Keys to get a job. They come here to retire and fish or sit at the bar.
    Where I'm @ they come 6 month's out of the year to lounge by the pool and play bocce ball with the other antique's ...
    Craftsmen that work, strive to do so down the street at Pratt, Rocket Dyne, Sikorsky or one of the many large CNC shops that feed the machine ... starting @ $35 or 40 an hr. with full benny's and 401K .. The ones that can't get in there .. still think they are worth that ..
    My mind tell's me it would be easier in the Carolina's but I'm sure they all think they are going to work for Hendrick Motorsports under the same conditions .. or are as you say, Kids everywhere "expecting" to get paid to play video games or text with their friends on their phones ..

  17. Likes Acoffeu liked this post
  18. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    minocqua, wis
    Posts
    3,356
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    70
    Likes (Given)
    254
    Likes (Received)
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoker2001 View Post
    I have used Ron with decent results,the communication can be a bit undesirable... IMO,Hard to find another place that does nik motors with right skills and tools..NO matter who you use it has to be sub contracted out to US chrome for full re-nic.US chrome's work is VERY questionable these days!At least Ron lives close to US and I think he keeps there quality control in check,again just my $.02
    nope my blocks went back 3 years in a row to u s chrome to maybe get them right

  19. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    PARADISE /Naples
    Posts
    3,411
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's depressing.
    We have invented the world WE see

  20. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brookeland , Texas 75931 North of Jasper
    Posts
    11,637
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    104
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI !! if you send a motor to US Chrome for a complete re Nik job my advice is to spend the money on some SS set screws and screw them flat with the block on EVERY thread because when they strip the Nik off the old bores if you don’t protect the thread to keep that stripping solution out of your thread holes it will come back with holes but the threads are eat out !! Been there and done it !!

    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Smith; 04-07-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Jay @ JSRE

  21. Likes Capt.Insane-o, stoker2001 liked this post
  22. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Folsom, Cal
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    354
    Likes (Received)
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
    FYI !! if you send a motor to US Chrome for a complete re Nik job my advice is to spend the money on some SS set screws and screw them flat with the block on EVERY thread because when they strip the Nik off the old bores if you don’t protect the thread to keep that stripping solution out of your thread holes it will come back with holes but the threads are eat out !! Been there and done it !!

    Jay
    Great advice!pretty sure if you use Mag Machine Ron does this prep for you with NO additional cost?Of coarse Mag gets wholesale pricing from US I would assume..and IMO,bet Ron gets better quality control from US then Joe shmoe..
    Last edited by stoker2001; 04-08-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

  23. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Folsom, Cal
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    354
    Likes (Received)
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    nope my blocks went back 3 years in a row to u s chrome to maybe get them right
    going directly to US or using Mag machine?
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2018, 04:00 AM
  2. Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 05:43 AM
  3. Outboard Machine Service in KCMO Area
    By CrayzKirk in forum The Scream And Fly Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
  4. Bob's Machine/ great service!!
    By B.Mac in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2002, 08:53 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-19-2002, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Aeromarine Research