User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Florida/New York
    Posts
    20,997
    Thanks (Given)
    615
    Thanks (Received)
    840
    Likes (Given)
    2368
    Likes (Received)
    3395
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Exclamation [Video] Testing Mercury 300R at Lake X

    Here's some video from when I was at Lake X for the press introduction of the Mercury Racing 300R/ProXS/Verado.

    As much as I love two-strokes, I can love this engine just as much. It's just impressive in every category. What amazes me the most is that its roughly the same weight as an OptiMax 300XS - and the 300 V8 is a 4.6-liter engine, which is huge! The boat in the video is a Triton 21 TRX.

    I'm setting up a huge shoot with some very fast boats powered by the 300R very soon, and I'm also going to use a video drone as well, so the video will be really awesome.



    Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Folsom, Cal
    Posts
    1,921
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    380
    Likes (Received)
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos to Merc for keeping the weight in check,but not totally sold YET..My Bud Alex bought new 21Lib from Mr Corson.we have ran some LONG runs together and it does run decent,but hearing the fuel consumption for a 4stroke is not that good?Alex snapped shaft like a twig on fifth time out I believe?Merc stood behind it and even kicked down for the lost prop
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, FL---Queens,NY
    Posts
    16,821
    Thanks (Given)
    124
    Thanks (Received)
    73
    Likes (Given)
    607
    Likes (Received)
    563
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoker2001 View Post
    Kudos to Merc for keeping the weight in check,but not totally sold YET..My Bud Alex bought new 21Lib from Mr Corson.we have ran some LONG runs together and it does run decent,but hearing the fuel consumption for a 4stroke is not that good?Alex snapped shaft like a twig on fifth time out I believe?Merc stood behind it and even kicked down for the lost prop
    That motor is a game changer..... CHANGE MY MIND...
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lakeland, FL.
    Posts
    7
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoker2001 View Post
    Kudos to Merc for keeping the weight in check,but not totally sold YET..My Bud Alex bought new 21Lib from Mr Corson.we have ran some LONG runs together and it does run decent,but hearing the fuel consumption for a 4stroke is not that good?Alex snapped shaft like a twig on fifth time out I believe?Merc stood behind it and even kicked down for the lost prop
    Snapped the shaft on the 5th time out? That is something concerning to hear since I am thinking this will be the motor I buy. Mercury says up to a 10% fuel improvement so I would be curious to see what it is really is. Maybe someone who replaced a 300xs with a 300r will be able to give real numbers. Since it uses 87 octane even if it got the same mpg I would be happy to be able to use the cheaper gas.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Edgewater,B.C. CANADA
    Posts
    7,697
    Thanks (Given)
    133
    Thanks (Received)
    217
    Likes (Given)
    2606
    Likes (Received)
    897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see a video with sound of a drive by to hear what they sound like at wide open.

    Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lakeland, FL.
    Posts
    7
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    I want to see a video with sound of a drive by to hear what they sound like at wide open.

    Dave
    https://youtu.be/tHxPQ4uI9mc

    Love the sound of a V-8 in an outboard.

  7. Likes 89LASER liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Folsom, Cal
    Posts
    1,921
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    380
    Likes (Received)
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boats&Taxes View Post
    Snapped the shaft on the 5th time out? That is something concerning to hear since I am thinking this will be the motor I buy. Mercury says up to a 10% fuel improvement so I would be curious to see what it is really is. Maybe someone who replaced a 300xs with a 300r will be able to give real numbers. Since it uses 87 octane even if it got the same mpg I would be happy to be able to use the cheaper gas.
    Same lower and prob as Merc 400r snapping like twigs,surely they got to be coming up with a solution with all the warrantee claims??Bullhead Bully,friend Paul Wallner has snapped two already..i hear aftermarket shaft to solve prob is already available..google prob,i thought it would be more common to bigger boats with twins,but then Alex with his single 21 let go..Part of prob is the huge pitch and diameter these new torquey motors are requiring along with crazy high transom heights to get that massive size bullet/lower efficient at surface
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

  9. Likes powerabout liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lakeland, FL.
    Posts
    7
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoker2001 View Post
    Same lower and prob as Merc 400r snapping like twigs,surely they got to be coming up with a solution with all the warrantee claims??Bullhead Bully,friend Paul Wallner has snapped two already..i hear aftermarket shaft to solve prob is already available..google prob,i thought it would be more common to bigger boats with twins,but then Alex with his single 21 let go..Part of prob is the huge pitch and diameter these new torquey motors are requiring along with crazy high transom heights to get that massive size bullet/lower efficient at surface
    Looks like a bunch of the failures were on cat hulls, I wonder if they are having the issues on small single engine v-hulls? Has Mercury fixed this issue or are the motors being produced now still having this issue?

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Folsom, Cal
    Posts
    1,921
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    380
    Likes (Received)
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

  12. Thanks Boats&Taxes thanked for this post
    Likes Trimmed Out15, AZMIDLYF liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Daytona Fl.
    Posts
    10,227
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    176
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    1799
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I recently sold one of the Hill 5 blade cleavers to My friend in Havasu. He had the Max Machine Worx prop shafts on his 400's and it still broke in half. He obviously lost the prop too. Every propshaft failure I've heard of has been while getting on plane. I have personally broke two on 300xs motors.
    NOW OFFERING BOAT TRANSPORT ANYWHERE IN THE LOWER 48.

    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

    Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com



    Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

    Visit My Liberator Boats Website

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Daytona Fl.
    Posts
    10,227
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    176
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    1799
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Here's another of my videos that shows the sound of the 300R. It's best in the first few seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5yznbXqRMk
    NOW OFFERING BOAT TRANSPORT ANYWHERE IN THE LOWER 48.

    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

    Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com



    Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

    Visit My Liberator Boats Website

  15. Likes Boats&Taxes liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lakeland, FL.
    Posts
    7
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDMAN View Post
    I recently sold one of the Hill 5 blade cleavers to My friend in Havasu. He had the Max Machine Worx prop shafts on his 400's and it still broke in half. He obviously lost the prop too. Every propshaft failure I've heard of has been while getting on plane. I have personally broke two on 300xs motors.
    Have all the failures that you heard off been on cats? Thought that Max shaft would have been the fix to this issue.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Melbourne/Italy
    Posts
    7,096
    Thanks (Given)
    555
    Thanks (Received)
    212
    Likes (Given)
    2139
    Likes (Received)
    941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDMAN View Post
    I recently sold one of the Hill 5 blade cleavers to My friend in Havasu. He had the Max Machine Worx prop shafts on his 400's and it still broke in half. He obviously lost the prop too. Every propshaft failure I've heard of has been while getting on plane. I have personally broke two on 300xs motors.
    did that break off at the carrier bearing or inside at the dog spline pin slot?

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Daytona Fl.
    Posts
    10,227
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    176
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    1799
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Most I've heard of are cats. I believe it's due to the higher cavitation when getting on plane, then hooking up hard. The Max shaft broke up inside the gearcase with a spiral break.
    NOW OFFERING BOAT TRANSPORT ANYWHERE IN THE LOWER 48.

    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

    Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com



    Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

    Visit My Liberator Boats Website

  19. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes Boats&Taxes liked this post
  20. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Folsom, Cal
    Posts
    1,921
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    11
    Likes (Given)
    380
    Likes (Received)
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDMAN View Post
    Most I've heard of are cats. I believe it's due to the higher cavitation when getting on plane, then hooking up hard. The Max shaft broke up inside the gearcase with a spiral break.
    Alex didn't tell you about his shaft failure here in Calif?couldnt of had more the 20 hours on his single 21' liberator..(love the boat BTW).Are local Dealer and good Friend Drew Obenhauser (Boatmasters) did the warrantee in short order
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Liberators with Mercury 300R now on Mercury Racing website blog
    By WILDMAN in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2018, 05:17 PM
  2. Mercury 300R Startup and Running Video
    By Scream And Fly in forum Four Stroke and Direct Injected Two Stroke Engines
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-05-2018, 07:28 AM
  3. Photos: Mercury Racing 300R powering Bullet 21SST and Bass Cat at Lake X
    By Scream And Fly in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM
  4. Video: [NEW VIDEO]: ES Custom Boats Simmons 25 powered by Mercury 300R at Lake X
    By Scream And Fly in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2018, 05:13 AM
  5. Video: Mercury 300R Startup and Running Video
    By Scream And Fly in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2018, 09:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Frank Mole Transport