User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Love View Post
    Nice pic or your Grand Sport...Ho YES, That thing fly...
    Thanks!
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    Thanks JCSmile. Love hearing about different engines on the Allisons.

The engine is just loafing making 150 HP. the ProXS version makes a little more power, at 200 more RPM, 163 on the dyno, vs 158 HP for the stock 150. Imagine if Mercury Racing worked on it? An affordable 175 R, or 200 R. Even the ProXS version with mounts and a sportmaster 1.75 would be killer, and very reasonable cost. I"m convinced the re-power market would be huge for an engine like that.
    Totally agree that Mercury should make a PRO 200 XS or 200R in a 4 cylinder. We need something besides a v8 offering for are lightweight hulls. I cant imagine hanging a v8 on the back of my Action Marine!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert jordan View Post
    Totally agree that Mercury should make a PRO 200 XS or 200R in a 4 cylinder. We need something besides a v8 offering for are lightweight hulls. I cant imagine hanging a v8 on the back of my Action Marine!
    100% It would be amazing. So many people could justify upgrading to it. Cost of ownership is great on these smaller engines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the sales of the 200xs, I would disagree. That motor is fantastic, and it sold poorly, in the states anyways. Small performance boats were a niche to begin with, and that will only shrink with time. It still doesn't take away from what was accomplished by the OP. The grands port is an awesome boat, anything that keeps it alive is a good thing in my book.

5. Likes JBS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Based on the sales of the 200xs, I would disagree. That motor is fantastic, and it sold poorly, in the states anyways. Small performance boats were a niche to begin with, and that will only shrink with time. It still doesn't take away from what was accomplished by the OP. The grands port is an awesome boat, anything that keeps it alive is a good thing in my book.
    Ya, the only thing I would say is that last 200XS was not a consumer engine, it was race only, 15" mid, no warranty, and $19k. That excludes a lot of buyers. A ProXS 150 is 12k, so an R version 150 and 200, even at 13k, or 15k with 3 year warranty would be a better offering.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    Ya, the only thing I would say is that last 200XS was not a consumer engine, it was race only, 15" mid, no warranty, and $19k. That excludes a lot of buyers. A ProXS 150 is 12k, so an R version 150 and 200, even at 13k, or 15k with 3 year warranty would be a better offering.
    I guess I was more referencing the Gen 1, which I had in a 20". Bought it for 12G. Dealership I got it from said I was only one of a few that bought one, they sold far more 225X, 280.

8. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reason that the gen 1 200XS didn't sell is because there were other options for not much more money, and the Gen 2 was over priced. That is not the case anymore. This motor should be 10K apart from a 300R and make it an easy "payment sold it" package for manufactures and dealers of small performance boats. -I look at it as a "glass half full" situation that could potentially make new small boat sales a reality again. Marketing success of any toy has a direct correlation with a monthly payment to the masses. The number of people that finance campers, side by sides, motorcycles, snowmobiles, pontoons, and center consoles is mind boggling. There is no reason that small performance boats can't get back in that stream if its made affordable and can be insured.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no sex appeal in go fast outboards anymore, that 150 wide open sounds like grampa got drunk and tipped the wheel horse over in a ditch. For the older chap it would be a fine rig.

So where's the honda at?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "sex appeal" in outboards has been taken away by our society. Besides, it wasn't all that sexy anyway-I can remember being embarrassed with the obnoxious smoke of triple 260s and 280s at the dock of a nice restaurant and on poker runs when we would fire up after being rafted off or docked for a few hours. The only ones that thought it was cool were the die hard weed whip fans like us.

The fact remains that running 80 miles per hour in a brand new small boat is always going to be cool and be a rush for the entry level boater and their occupants. There are many moments that have been permanently etched in my memory that include boats, bikes, snowmobiles, cars, women, family, friends and my son. Of those eight categories, boating is the one that you can enjoy with the key turned on or off and just sit in the middle of the lake or at the sandbar for hours "with family, friends, and kids"-and still have the performance aspect when you fire it up again. It is also one of the last places that we still have some unregulated areas to run without being forced to participate in a sanctioned event or deal with the law enforcement over presence. This is what makes it so special for all of us-but it has to become financially obtainable for people to experience it.

Joe

12. Thanks Will hedrick, JBS thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the low HP high speed stuff. My first engine on my SS2000 was a 150 XR4. Then I put on a 225 PM. Last year I thought hard about a Gen 1 150 Etec HO, but went with a 200XS

The 200XS is perfect but I wonder how the 150 HO would have run. I chose not to go with the 150HO because of gearcase concerns. Last year BRP was selling the 150 HOs with 10 year warranties but that might be voided with a nose cone. Also I keep reading about the BRP gearcase not lasting when surfaced.
    Last edited by David; 03-23-2019 at 03:50 PM.

14. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WavetoWave - If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost of that GS turnkey in that configuration?

16. Thanks pkstv thanked for this post
    Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    The reason that the gen 1 200XS didn't sell is because there were other options for not much more money, and the Gen 2 was over priced. That is not the case anymore. This motor should be 10K apart from a 300R and make it an easy "payment sold it" package for manufactures and dealers of small performance boats. -I look at it as a "glass half full" situation that could potentially make new small boat sales a reality again. Marketing success of any toy has a direct correlation with a monthly payment to the masses. The number of people that finance campers, side by sides, motorcycles, snowmobiles, pontoons, and center consoles is mind boggling. There is no reason that small performance boats can't get back in that stream if its made affordable and can be insured.

Joe
    Agree 100%

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    @WavetoWave - If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost of that GS turnkey in that configuration?
    I bought the Merc 150 as a CPO (certified pre-owned) engine, 1 year warranty. It was $8,600. A brand new ProXS 150 is about $12,500.

A Grand Sport with trailer, starts approximately in the 40-45 range, depending on options. But, you would have to check a dealer for up to date pricing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I like the low HP high speed stuff. My first engine on my SS2000 was a 150 XR4. Then I put on a 225 PM. Last year I thought hard about a Gen 1 150 Etec HO, but went with a 200XS

The 200XS is perfect but I wonder how the 150 HO would have run. I chose not to go with the 150HO because of gearcase concerns. Last year BRP was selling the 150 HOs with 10 year warranties but that might be voided with a nose cone. Also I keep reading about the BRP gearcase not lasting when surfaced.
    Agree. Those XR series 150 were awesome. XR2, XR4, XR6 etc. Then the ProMax 150 was cool too. I think the Yamaha 175 VMAX SHO is kind of a sleeper, and has a good gear ratio, 480 Lbs. Lots of used 150 and 175 SHOs out there too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    There is no sex appeal in go fast outboards anymore, that 150 wide open sounds like grampa got drunk and tipped the wheel horse over in a ditch. For the older chap it would be a fine rig.

So where's the honda at?
    Would have to disagree. Merc Racing is doing record sales year after year. Outboards are dominating the market. Cigarette Racing now sells more outboard powered boats by a large margin than V8 chuggers, which I also love.

The sound of the 4 cyl is not that bad at all. At cruise you can't even hear it running. You literally only hear the water. But not everyone is going for sex appeal anyway, that's not what this boat is about to me. Efficiency, and reliability is the what it is about.

The Honda, was sent back to Honda. But, it was exactly like we thought it was going to be. 300 HP, no problem. Will probably be the next project, just have too much on my plate at the moment. Next boat will involve the Honda, most likely on a light tunnel.
    Last edited by WavetoWave; 03-24-2019 at 12:20 PM.

21. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast